• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel HUD

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Looks nice. If it’s easily read in daylight and they make a wrist strap for it......sold.

I didn’t have any kind of attachment for a wristband. It’s extremely lightweight and they are testing it for recoil up to 338 Lapua. Surely someone will figure out how to put it in their wrist but since it is designed to be used with weapon mounted LRF I doubt that was in their design criteria.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    I didn’t have any kind of attachment for a wristband. It’s extremely lightweight and they are testing it for recoil up to 338 Lapua. Surely someone will figure out how to put it in their wrist but since it is designed to be used with weapon mounted LRF I doubt that was in their design criteria.

Industrial strength sticky velcro is a wonderful thing.

Industrial strength sticky velcro is a wonderful thing.
    The location and size of the battery compartment will necessitate a small piece. It goes the full height of the HUD. But a small polymer piece it could clip into that’s attached to a wristband is doable.

Can you see it at night without any additional light?

What LRF does it work with, and how do they communicate (hard wire, bluetooth, etc?)

Armboard would be as simple as someone making a Garmin wrist GPS type pouch for it. Only downside is that you can't change the orientation of the screen as portrait would be retarded on your wrist.

It works with any LRF that BT’s to the kestrel or is compatible with the cable. It’s essentially a repeater of the kestrel. Say I are using a terrapinX. That’s connected to kestrel via BT. You range a target. Kestrel takes that info and does it’s thing. The HUD just gives you a nice screen of the kestrel ballistic solution. Easy to see in the daylight I think, only saw it indoors. Pics from catalog and some of the compatible devices

5E3C595D-EA56-4DFF-8535-2A63E94FF4AB.jpeg

7E4F4A08-42FD-47FA-A746-341D71C7D8E9.jpeg

E5B1B963-1766-41E8-A1F2-BA79FF0DC419.jpeg

Of coarse the PLRF15C isnt on there. Then again for night time I want it on the gun anyways if I don't have a guy running a spotter with the PLRF on it.

Looks like the shitty RAPTAR is the only option for this really at night.

This would be awesome if you can see it at night/it has a NV mode.

Of coarse the PLRF15C isnt on there. Then again for night time I want it on the gun anyways if I don't have a guy running a spotter with the PLRF on it.

I’m 99% sure it is backlit. I’d go confirm but I bailed. I’m headed home.

The problem with connecting to a 15 is you would then have the gun essentially feathered to an external device. That’s why their focus was on gun mounted LRF’s so it can all move as 1 unit

I found another gun mounted LRF I’ll show when I get home. Expensive like the RAPTAR but I think better. Unfortunately it’s not civilian legal due to the laser

I found another gun mounted LRF I’ll show when I get home. Expensive like the RAPTAR but I think better. Unfortunately it’s not civilian legal due to the laser

The RAPTAR S I can grab through someone in procurement for ~2k or maybe less, so its an option. I never liked it because of the shit laser and I can get more PEQ15s for less, but for something like a SPR or bolt gun it would work when trying to integrate single gun ranging/adjustments.

The PLRF15 would be a 2 person operation anyways with the guy spotting/ranging either having it slaved to the Spotter 60 or looking through it with a mounted PVS14 on the ocular. Switching between LRF and gun at night is retarded and near impossible to stay on your target for one person.

The Garmin 701 is NV compatible. Just saying...

You working for Garmin or what!? Quit hating broski!! LOL

LOL! I did (finally) get my 5700 unf*cked yesterday, so...I'm not hating on Kestrel.

And you know who I work for, so Garmin got's nothing they could do for me. :p

This has more possibly to this unit. They need to have one with AB in the HUD with Bluetooth to the rangerfinder and the Kestrel drop.
    I would hope they have a internal battery with a external battery back up. With a possible solar panel as a feature. I would want to where it on my arm. I like this HUD due to the screen size. Just giving some of my thoughts about it. I like the Garmin 701 AB idea but i don't want a GPS in it. Garmin is a battery killer to base on what I've read.

This has more possibly to this unit. They need to have one with AB in the HUD with Bluetooth to the rangerfinder and the Kestrel drop.
    I would hope they have a internal battery with a external battery back up. With a possible solar panel as a feature. I would want to where it on my arm. I like this HUD due to the screen size. Just giving some of my thoughts about it. I like the Garmin 701 AB idea but i don't want a GPS in it. Garmin is a battery killer to base on what I've read.

Been running the same batteries in my 701 for the last two months. Unless you're using it for GPS landnav, the batteries' runtime is fine, and comparable to the Kestrel. With GPS running, yes, the 701 runs down faster...but it's also doing more (which kind of makes sense to my pea brain).

Now you've read something else...

If you have the 701, does it communicate with the RAPTAR with AB on it as well, or is this something magical that only the HUD does?

I think is should be able to be a standalone unit with AB already in it.And not depend on going though the Kestrel 5700 with AB then to the HUD.

If this is for use by the military, I agree. While right now EMI isn't an issue, in the future, if we end up going toe to toe with a peer adversary, a lot of this BT linked stuff is going to go bye-bye real quick...