• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Kestrel or laser rangefinder? If you could only buy one?

blkbusa13

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2017
I am going to get both eventually, but if you could by one first what would it be. I have a mildot master that I have been using to range targets and its working fine for now, but I like that fact of knowing the exact range. On the other hand the kestrel with the applied ballistics app bulit in is a really nice tool.

Last edited:
Probably the Kestrel. You need to learn the wind first and probably have numbered yardlines at local ranges.

if your shooting unknown distance targets I'd get a laser rangefinder first, get a ballistic app and a cheap handheld wind meter for $30. Start practicing reading mirage for wind calls, and get a kestrel as soon as you can.

I went with the rangefinder first, then picked up my kestrel. I wouldnt give up either, but there are a ton of ballistics apps including applied ballistics that will do just fine. Knowing range is crucial and I feel like a solid rangefinder is key. It's good to chart your dope from shooting actual distances too. It's also good to be able to gauge wind on your own. The kestrel just came into play after starting to shoot comps for quick references on multiple target acquisitions.

Definitely a PLRF 15c first.

Haha! Awesome. I would assume if he is going between the 2, a 8k rangefinder may be out of the question. I do agree though! I went through 5 rangefinders before my terrapin then never looked back.

There are workarounds either way you go, if you're shooting at a known distance range I think you would be better off getting the kestrel first. If you go that route and you end up making your own range out on BLM land or something like that you can mark your targets using GPS on your phone in order to determine distance from your firing position, or you could just use a map. Obviously you can also just mil out your targets assuming you know their size.

If you decide to get the rangefinder first as mentioned above some of the apps provide atmospheric data which can be sufficient as long as you have phone reception. Then for wind reading you can do the old fashioned throw a handful of grass in the air method to determine direction and guess the speed. You can also learn to read mirage.

Personally, I think the range finder is a must. If you don't have the correct distance to the target, ballistics for a first round hit are iffy. There are ways to get altitude, temp, etc., and several apps that will give you good data. Range cards are another tool you can use if you don't have a phone app. If working on a limited budget, you could get a LRF and a Kestrel without the ballistics for about the same cost of a Kestrel AB. These used in conjunction with an app or data cards would give you more than enough information to obtain accurate firing solutions and be successful.

I vote for the rangefinder first. I initially bought a Leica rangefinder and used the Ballistic ARC app and a weather/wind app on my IPhone and it worked well. I later bought a Kestrel and really like it but, I would still buy them in the same order if I had it to do over again.
Phil G

If you can afford it, get the SIG 2400ABS lrf, then you wouldn't need the kestrel.

Why would you need either if your shooting known distances all the time? As far as a kestrel, It should take 1 shot to spot a wind call. Why would you need a 700$ device to give you dope when your going to the same shooting range at the same geological location with the same distances everytime you go out? I guess I just assumed this would be used outside of the local range.

What type of shooting will these be for?

Last edited:
Ok so the question was asked as to the type of shooting. I do range shooting with known distances out to 1000 yards and I have access to property they we have targets at random distances that we change from time to time from 100 to 1650 yards.

Range finder first and use a cheaper phone app.. A kestrel won't help much if you don't know the range to your target, not everyone shoots at a static range..

I had a range finder for several years before owning a Kestral. Really dependent on each individual and the type of shooting, type of range, etc...

Just my opinion, but I would vote Rangefinder, then Kestrel. I used a Kestrel 4000 (for DA) for years with a phone app and it worked fine. Hell, I know guys shooting matches that run JBM the night before and make range cards that consistently kick my ass. It also depends on how small your targets are. Your equipment needs can change big time depending on if your targets are .5 MOA or 2 MOA or larger.

So much of this depends upon your situation, that it almost matters not what any of us say. True, the majority of posters, most well seasoned shooters have said to get a range finder first, but consider the reality of your personal situation before buying either.

If you live out west and are shooting often at distances you cannot confirm or find that the places or matches you shoot don't give you usable distances to target, then get the range finder.

If if neither of those scenarios are true, have you had trouble at distance with your wind calls and are unsure about your ability to make a wind call that will get you on target first shot? Then get a basic Kestrel to help you learn how to make wind calls.

I live in Florida, where LR shooting is rarely at unknown range but wind is your number one enemy. If I'm shooting a match, I hardly want to throw the 1st shot (usually worth more) to find my wind call if I can put that first shot on target.

I currently have both, but use my range finder more when I run matches now and am setting up stages. If running an UKD stage, I don't allow range finders anyway. As a learning tool for a new shooter, I think that a a Kestrel has more value. This, after having purchased my first Kestrel just recently. I learned wind calls the long and hard way.

FWIW.

Ok so the question was asked as to the type of shooting. I do range shooting with known distances out to 1000 yards and I have access to property they we have targets at random distances that we change from time to time from 100 to 1650 yards.

I would do Rangefinder first, then. And download the TRASOL shooting app, which has a direct link to your local weather station and the DA in the app has always been pretty close to the actual DA at my location. So, you can get by without the Kestrel. I never use the wind function on my Kestrel anyway, and I've never had a problem hitting my target. I use the Kestrel primarily for DA/station pressure, etc. But... a good rangefinder is needed if you don't know the distances.

I'm in the same boat and plan to get a range finder first and then Kestral later. Where I normally shoot wind is not too bad, but that will change when I go to different places.

Thanks for all the info, I think im going to look at getting a range finder first then kestrel

I use my kestrel every trip out for my data. I use the rangefinder sometimes. Once I have my distance, it doesn't change.

Rangefinder first. You'll need to learn to read wind on your own, might as well start sooner. The kestrel is great at giving you density altitude, but you can calculate that ahead of time.

Folks know I'm a HUGE fan of my 5700AB Kestrel, BUT if I could only have that or a range finder, it would be a rangefinder 1st.......

You could you simple density altitude for environmentals and get a cheap wind meter. Then a smart phone Ballistic app to plug it in to.

Make sure you get a good range finder like the Sig 2200. Then when you have some more money get the 5700AB.....

Last edited:
I did the range finder first, because I use it for hunting quite a bit too.

If one shoots mostly known distances and wanted a weather meter, which would you recommend?

$600-700 for a 5700 Elite seems absurd. I've got two or three ballistics apps on my phone, what am I really getting over a 5500? Alls I really need is DA and wind, Bluetooth is a bonus. I'm struggling to understand custom drag curves and all that.

If one shoots mostly known distances and wanted a weather meter, which would you recommend?

$600-700 for a 5700 Elite seems absurd. I've got two or three ballistics apps on my phone, what am I really getting over a 5500? Alls I really need is DA and wind, Bluetooth is a bonus. I'm struggling to understand custom drag curves and all that.

I just picked up a used Kestrel 4000 for $200. It has everything that I need on it.

Here's a link to a chart showing the various capabilities of the 5000 series models.

https://kestrelmeters.com/pages/compare-kestrel-meters-5000-models

It looks like for about $260, you could get most of what you want.

I just picked up a used Kestrel 4000 for $200. It has everything that I need on it.

Here's a link to a chart showing the various capabilities of the 5000 series models.

https://kestrelmeters.com/pages/comp...rs-5000-models

It looks like for about $260, you could get most of what you want.

I've been able to find a 5000 with Link for $270, 5500 without Link for $260, with for $349, and a 5700 Sportsman with Link for $400. $50 over a 5500 gets me the basic functions of ballistics, but if I have my phone is the sole purpose as a backup?

Speaking 5000 vs 5500 some of the features on the 5500 are definitely value added like the compass, making this toy more applicable to other outdoor activities like hiking.

Last edited:
Kestrel supplements the range finder, not so much the other way around unless you're really good with milling.

Why not the new Sig Kilo 2400?? It is both in one package.