• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kestrel sportsman 5700 question?

Panhandle Precision vids are great.

Easiest way to get by with the Sportsman without upgrading is to use the app on your phone to create all your profiles then just send the profile of the gun(s) you are going to shoot, hopefully it isn't more than 3 guns at once. I do this as part of my range prep the day prior and it's much easier than making profiles on the Kestrel itself.

My sportsman updated to 5700 on first startup linked To my Kestrel app on iPhone.
I updated to elite with the BT dongle via my computer.
5700 solver worked really well past a mile with my 7mm and 1500ish with my 260.
The features of the elite upgrade was well worth it in my opinion.
The more I use it the more I like it.
Getting a kestrel with elite for less than $500 is awesome.

Shot with a fellow hide member today with his brand new kestrel.
He got good data easily and got hits past 1800 today and I showed him how easy it is to true up and got his DSF set as well.

Creating/loading/storing profiles with the kestrel app is really nice.

Last edited:
The easiest way to manage profiles is to download the FREE profile editor from AB.

So I have my USB cable, did the firmware update to Elite...Connected the AB Profile updater on my PC and it definitely predates the phone app. Lots of bullets missing from the library in AB Profile Updater vs the phone app. They must not update the AB Profile updater anymore or I'm missing something?

So I have my USB cable, did the firmware update to Elite...Connected the AB Profile updater on my PC and it definitely predates the phone app. Lots of bullets missing from the library in AB Profile Updater vs the phone app. They must not update the AB Profile updater anymore or I'm missing something?
No they do. Just not as often. I’m not a fan at all as to how AB does the profile loader and AB Analytics. It feels like I’m using windows 3.5 sometimes.
I’ll tag @DocUSMCRetired and see if he can add something.

No they do. Just not as often. I’m not a fan at all as to how AB does the profile loader and AB Analytics. It feels like I’m using windows 3.5 sometimes.

Specifically 22 rimfire bullets. I have all the popular 22LR ammo profiles in the bullet library within my Android Kestrel LINK app on my phone. Virtually none of them within the AB Loader bullet library. I see a couple but thats about it. I guess Ill stick to using the android Kestrel LINK app to build profiles.

Reactions: TACC
Specifically 22 rimfire bullets. I have all the popular 22LR ammo profiles in the bullet library within my Android Kestrel LINK app on my phone. Virtually none of them within the AB Loader bullet library. I see a couple but thats about it. I guess Ill stick to using the android Kestrel LINK app to build profiles.
I think this is the most current library, is your bullet in here?

THis is build 925, i beleive 926 is most current. What bullet are you looking for, let me see if i have it as i have the full Analytics as well.

All the Lapua 22lr... but CenterX specifically...All the Federal and RWS rimfire.... Ultramatch and R50 specifically. They are all in my Kestrel Link app..
I dont see any 22lr in my library at all. But i must be missing it because in that PDF, i see the Lapua center X as in the database

ETA: Found it. Its there:

1589555216922.png

I dont see any 22lr in my library at all. But i must be missing it because in that PDF, i see the Lapua center X as in the database

ETA: Found it. Its there:

View attachment 7326933

After seeing you found it I looked again. For some reason its not in caliber order....I only saw Lapua 224 60gr centerfire and thought i wasnt there. For some reason 224 comes up again at the bottom of the Lapua list with the Rimfire. So I see it. I guess the only one I dont see is Federal Ultramatch 22lr.

Edit:
Judging the BC under Federal in the database....its looks like Name Federal 40gr Official320 might be the Ultramatch profile...

Reactions: TACC
Ill have to test that profile vs Lapua's stated G1 BC and see which is corrected. That Lapua CenterX profile in the database has G1 0.121 BC where Lapua website has CenterX listed as G1 0.171 BC..

Ill have to test that profile vs Lapua's stated G1 BC and see which is corrected. That Lapua CenterX profile in the database has G1 0.121 BC where Lapua website has CenterX listed as G1 0.171 BC..

With rimfire I would suggest using CDMs at all times. Rimfire is so rifle and lot sensitive I wouldn't bother with using G1 BCs. I wouldn't even recommend using BC comparisons to select your ammo. The standard here is to shoot all different makes and different lots inside those makes to find what your rifle shoots best. Lapua just reopened the testing center, so you could have them do it for you.

With rimfire I would suggest using CDMs at all times. Rimfire is so rifle and lot sensitive I wouldn't bother with using G1 BCs. I wouldn't even recommend using BC comparisons to select your ammo. The standard here is to shoot all different makes and different lots inside those makes to find what your rifle shoots best. Lapua just reopened the testing center, so you could have them do it for you.

Im fully aware of the 22lr game and have the ammo needed. I am shooting 6x5's at 100yd with 0.59" agg. Im reviewing the new RimX with custom barrels testing all the top 22lr ammo.and many many lots. This.current lot of CenterX is hammering and just getting my Kestrel dialed in for 200, 300, 400yd shooting.

It was written in 2011, but if you like that, you should try our software on the TI-83 from more than a decade ago.

Reactions: SOAPdata
Im fully aware of the 22lr game and have the ammo needed. I am shooting 6x5's at 100yd with 0.59" agg. Im reviewing the new RimX with custom barrels testing all the top 22lr ammo.and many many lots. This.current lot of CenterX is hammering and just getting my Kestrel dialed in for 200, 300, 400yd shooting.

In that case, the CDM will provide the highest resolution solutions by far. I would Ditch the use of BC all together.

In that case, the CDM will provide the highest resolution solutions by far. I would Ditch the use of BC all together.

Gotcha thanks for the info. Gotta learn.how to use CDM on Kestrel. This is my first one...

Before I would use 22lr bullet library on jbm, I put my rifle, range, weather, data in, then true those numbers based off center impacts at each distance and that would be my range card for that specific rifle with that specific ammo for 100-500yd

Trying to use the kestrel for real world data, live weather and wind for same results....

I'm signed up for the kestrel class next Thursday so maybe that will get me further along using CDM...

It was written in 2011, but if you like that, you should try our software on the TI-83 from more than a decade ago.
I don’t think it’s unrealistic in 2020 for it to have a self installer and auto update in the Background like almost every other program ever. I shouldn’t have to save my license and my profiles. Delete a bunch of stuff then install to a folder. I mean we went to the moon in 1969 with less.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head