• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Upgrade 4500 AB - 5700X?

Mulga

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2008
Australia
Howdy all,

I have been holding off upgrading my Kestrel 4500 AB for a few years now as it still works just fine. Tossing up between the 5700 Elite or the 5700X, just wondering if the X is worth the extra $$?

Cheers
Dan

I don’t see the point. I’ll gladly wait 3 more seconds to get a solution and save the money.

I think I will wait until after SHOT show next year. Knowing my luck NK will release a new model then. I fell into that trap with the 4500 AB, NK stopped supporting it soon after I bought it; when the 5700 was released.

i’ll like to know if theres a big difference in battery life between the elite and 5700x. More power requires more juice.

I have the 5700x for my personal and a 5700 elite for work. The 5700x does give you a quicker firing solution which for multiple moving targets in my line of work is crucial. The Bluetooth is better in my opinion. I have the ability to turn it up or down based on where I’m working since Bluetooth tracking is a hot topic. But that also means I can operate one kestrel and use my 3200.com from a distance.

as for the battery, it might use more juice. But I change out the batteries almost weekly to be on the safe side.

I recommend the use of rechargeable batteries no matter which direction you head.

The X model benefits from faster processing, and better Bluetooth. This means if you plan to connect up multiple devices (HUD plus LRF) the X model is a noticeable advantage. It does consume more power, but as a user who switched to rechargeable batteries years ago its a non issue. Just make sure you cycle through and keep them charged.

I recommend the use of rechargeable batteries no matter which direction you head.

The X model benefits from faster processing, and better Bluetooth. This means if you plan to connect up multiple devices (HUD plus LRF) the X model is a noticeable advantage. It does consume more power, but as a user who switched to rechargeable batteries years ago its a non issue. Just make sure you cycle through and keep them charged.
Just wanted to add some product information from the manufacturer about the 5700X. It is our highest performing unit and does have a faster processor which provides long range solutions noticeably faster. That faster processor does reduce battery life some however. For a typical user that difference won't be night and day and it's not something we've received a noticeable number of complaints about. Both the 5700 Elite and 5700X have long battery life, the Elite is just longer. The Bluetooth radio in the 5700X is the same componant as in our standard 5700 and 5700 Elite. The differnece is a firmware change that allows the user to turn down the radio power and lower their electronic signature in the 5700X. The standard BT "On" setting in the Elite and 5700 are the same strength as the "Max" setting in the 5700X so while I'm glad they're working well for you when connecting to LRFs and HUDs, there shouldn't be a performance difference between the two models in that regard. Like CIB2007 said above, if you are looking for faster speeds at longer ranges or the ability to reduce your Bluetooth signature, the 5700X is a great option. Those improvements aren't needed by everyone so we're not planning to drop the standard 5700 or Elite any time soon either.

Reactions: Saf3sh00t3r