• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Kestrel w/ Applied Ballistics vs Ballistic: AE on Iphone w/ Kestrel

jamesbern

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
CT
I'm overwhelmed trying to figure out which setup to go with. Mostly only shooting out to 400 yards, but am hoping to at least double that at some point....if so figure most i'd get to shoot that far is 2 or 3 times a year.

The savings is pretty significant. Almost $300 cheaper going with the App and Kestrel 4500. That's money I could use for ammo and practice. I also only have a MAC so the software for the Applied Ballistics program won't do me any good as it's for PC only.

I've been reading some reviews and Ballistic AE is pretty highly regarded as far as apps go.

From anyone who's used these which would you recommend?

I use Shooter and AB on my iPhone with a Kestrel 4500. I started with Shooter b/c AB wasn't avail on the iPhone. My friends that have been using AB on Android tell me they think it's a bit better and has more features. I can't comment enough yet. Shooter has gotten me onto targets at 1200yds with my .260 and 1 mile with my 338 in many conditions. In my limited experience, I think your data (firing solution/drop/dope) is only going to be as good as the data you give it.

I find myself trying to justify buying a Kestrel with AB so I have something that works in all kinds of weather. I hated to use my iPhone when it was raining. I get it that you can buy cases for them and all that but it's a work phone for me. Battery life on the Kestrel is pretty nice, so it's less likely to die when you're out shooting. Something to consider.

Zero experience with Ballistic AE, sorry.

FWIW - Your dope really shouldn't change too much out to 400yds. Mine stays pretty consistent out to 500 and I have it memorized. Perhaps you're shooting something different or have drastically changing elevation and weather.

Save your money for one and just get Ballistic AE. I have taken shots out to over 1300 yards with it and had 1st round hits. If you'll do your part and make sure the input parameters are as close to as being spot on as possible ..... It's very good. Mildot Ballistics would be my 2nd choice. GREAT APP!

Thanks. After more consideration I'm going with Ballistic AE, a chrono, and wind meter.