• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kettlebells? Anyone use em?

willgaut

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2010
I am looking to gain more dynamic strength and was wondering if anyone used them, if so did it help with your explosive power and speed?

Re: Kettlebells? Anyone use em?

They use them in strongman competitions; those guys have pretty dynamic strength end explosive power! Go nuts, just remember to keep the form propper; its easy to get sloppy when performing big movements like that.

Yeah, swingthru's for hamstrings and lower back, and swinging side to side for abs and obliques,try bench with the kettlebells hanging off the bar with a band. Otherwise look at training on elitefts.com, or westside-barbell. Trained there for years and it works.

I have done crazy weights with plates....that blows...works good. I will have to try them they seem to be a good solution for when shit gets bad.

changing what you train is the key, train your weakness, and always rotate what you train heavy on that week.Get to a 750 good morning on a cambered bar and call me lol.

Kettle bells are awesome. Look up Pavel Tsatsouline, he has a few books out and tons of info on kettle bells. I hope this helps.

i do them to strengthen the rotator cuff....and swings up the middle for core.....thats about it..i have friends that are sponsored powerlifters that use the hell out of them...so i know they work..

bench

They're an awesome equipment, very versatile. For explosive power and speed, incorporate plyometrics and aerobics exercises, as well as other body-weight exercises - calisthenics with weight training. I always wear a 40lbs weight vest, though I started with 20lbs first. Do it slow, deliberate and in correct posture and techniques - and set a goal.

Try to stay away from too much isolation type workout, like straight bodybuilding, again plyometrics, you want your body to works as symphony.

I do crossfit workouts (http://crossfit.com/), alot of the calisthenics are the same as what we used to do in the Corps.

Here's some of their WODs (workout of the Day) vids, lectures, and techniques:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

and you can download a whole list of workouts in the forum section. and you will see that all of the exercises in crossfit involves the whole body movement and no isolation - again you want functional strength not and not like a bodybuilder. The more muscle the more oxygen you gonna need to power those muscles; endurance and cardio is paramount.

I hope this helps.

fwiw bodybuilders train for size, powerlifters and strongmen train for strength, crossfit is mainly endurance. A combination of cardio and strength training is usually what is wanted. But crossfit will not make you strong alone.

+1 on Crossfit and kettlebells. Thursday's WOD at our Crossfit box was "Are You A Swinger" 150 kettlebell swings for time. I did it in 7:30.

J. Myers thank god you posted. All these guys on here that have been talking about doing arm only workouts and p90x don't have a clue. I know absolute strength is not what everyone on here is going for, but shit, how about some real weight training. And for all you crossfiters, the stronger you are on squats, deads, rows, and presses, the faster your times and the more rounds you will get. And to get stronger, you must weight train other than in your crossfit workouts. Everyone needs to go to Elitefit.com, T-Nation.com, And read everything louis simmons ever wrote.

I agree with you J. Myers and KanasMag, since I used to train following the Westside model along with other calisthenics and running when I was in the Corps. However, I realized that such training did not coupled in a good way when I started training in Muay Thai while stationed in Oki, I suffered. And the same when I eventually took BJJ - they told me "you lift too much."

And around 2003/2004, Simmons trained Kevin Randleman for the 2004GP using the Javorek's complex training, and Simmons later related that his training model is not advisable for MMA, hence using the Javorek's as part of Randleman's training.

I guess what I am saying is that do the training according to your goal - I training for balance, endurance, & strength (not brute strength, but the level I can sustain for a long period of time). Able to run, fight, and still shoot straight, without gassing out - gasping for air.

If I was limited to a single piece of equipment to train with for the rest of my life it would be the a 53lb KB. Extremely versatile for my size (about 200).

I have 35lb kettle bells and they kill me. I have not been able to do much of anything for the past week and 1/2. Was lifting on bench and apparantly hurt my left shoulder some how. Has been bothering me since then. I hope I did not hurt it bad. Before that, I had been looking at using some of Dave Tate's info (Elite Fitness) for getting stronger along with some of the older stuff from Ed Coan. Had been making some pretty good gains until I guess I over did it. Might also have something to do with being 43 now.

Ed Coan is hard to copy, and Dave Tate has a very good website. Can proudly say I have trained with him and had dinner with Coan before. He is one of the few to deadlift over 900lbs, and did it on a misload at 220 bodyweight.

Another Crossfitter here. We use them often. Today's WOD had 55# KB snatches. They are a very dynamic piece of equipment.

We have used them as a work-out break day- couple kettles open field and some relays- good times- ( man did I hurt the next day)

love my kettlebells. I'm working on rebuilding my core for the last 5 months. I can definitely see improvement in strength and muscle definition.

Yeah I also use KB's for my MMA workouts. Very easy to use especially when your using them to manipulate different muscles in all sorts of motions for say a take down or the likes.

A pull up bar, kettlebells and 100m to sprint is all you need to stay fit, once fit
Play sports
Do gymnastics
find an MMA club
Work should be done to increase one time lift strength... big oly lifts
Read fitness in 100 words or less
Too many folks can lift lots of weight many times really fast.. but trip fall and break a bone walking and chewing gum at the same time
CF level 2, AR master fitness

Where are you guys getting your kettlebells?

Some good deals on eBay. I forget the name of the place but about the cheapest that I've found were in Hawaii, of all places. Ordered a couple and they are at least as well-made as the Russian ones...probably ARE the same.

crossfit kettlebell WODS are a good start, but it i think you'll find after using their WODS for a bit, a lot of times it will seem that you don't get a good solid workout...i've used Gym Jones and liked it, but i'm using "militaryathlete.com" now.... rob shaul's program has a specific purpose with training cycles that all gear to a specific goal (i.e. work capacity, strength, stamina, etc...) i'm no fitness guru, but i've been working out pretty much since i've graduated high school and started my military career 20 years ago....that being said, i've used several types of workouts (i.e. military calisthenics, body building type weight training, triathlons , crossfit, etc...)...objectively speaking, after comparing all, i'm a huge proponent of military athlete! try it all and make your own decision on what works for you and your endeavors.......

I've been using dumbells for kettlebell swings as part of crossfit workouts for quite some time. It's amazing how many different muscle groups you can engage when you're using proper form. Shoulders, quads, hamstrings, glutes, rotator cuff, lower back... Great exercise when you incorporate it into a workout.

I'm a big believer in full motion exercises, which is why I hardly ever do small muscle group training by itself. Example: bicep curls become deadlift/bicep curls, or squats become squatting down with lower weight and driving with the heels and pushing up with the toes at the top. Kettlebell swings do just that for me. Promote balance and endurance.

I do a lot of wall climbing everyday and I get noticeably more usable strength from the KBs vs plates. I still alternate workout days with plates though because they do make the muscles look nice
smile.gif

Its great for core strength. If you do a no rest circuit it helps the cardio out as well. You can hurt yourself very easily if you dont have perfect form. Start with a bell of low weight to ensure proper breathing and technique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PJAIRFIRE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its great for core strength. If you do a no rest circuit it helps the cardio out as well. <span style="font-weight: bold">You can hurt</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">yourself very easily if you dont have perfect form</span>. Start with a bell of low weight to ensure proper breathing and technique. </div></div>

I learned this the hard way. Went to a class where they were doing swings and destroyed my lower back. The instructor informed me that i wasn't doing it correctly at the very end of the class.
mad.gif