• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keymod accessory rails

Cvarney

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
Williamson WV
I've got a BCM KMR handguard installed on an upper. I'm also running a noveske switchblock barrel and I had to cut a small relief to get everything together. I purchased a 4 slot noveske keymod rail cause it used two keyed inserts that were beside each other instead of skipping one. The latter would have needed to use a key hole that I had cut out. Problem is I can't get this one on at all. I'm almost positive keymod stuff is supposed to interchange and be standardized. Best I can tell it the noveske rail have circular tabs that look like they should fit in the big part of the key hole when it's slid up properly. Withough beating it on I can't get it to slide in far enough to lock up properly. Has anyone else ran into this problem or am I doing something wrong? The rail sections that came with the BCM kit fit well and slid in easy and also I've tried the noveske section on different keyholes to see if it was just a problem with where I was trying to mount it.
Thanks guys

Ok...stupid question time...BUT...

Have you tried loosening the two screws up a good ways (they are captive/staked in place...no worries on losing them) and then attempting to push the rail section in (through the larger holes) and then slide it forward until the integral locking/recoils lugs engage into the larger holes?

With the rail screws loosened up, it should pop right into the large slots, slide right forward, then lock in place on ANY keymod system without issue.

lol yeah I did. loosened them till I hit where it was staked and it wouldn't go. Kind of snugged it a little more loose to try and it still wouldn't. Didn't try to force the screws loose because of the staking and didn't try to force the rail on. I did first insert the screwed lugs of the rail into the big part of the key hole but once again without absolutely forcing it or tapping it with a mallet it's not gonna budge far enough to get it to lock up. The circular tabs I'm guessing are there to lock into the bigger side of the key hole but no joy on trying to get it that far locked up.

a6u3ydyr.jpg
u7amyjaj.jpg
a5utaje7.jpg

Is there a small "tooth" on the underside of one end of the rail? If so, it has to slide into the hole of next forward slot from the rail. At least the noveske quick detach slung swivel I have is like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
No mine doesn't have the tab. What it seems like is happening is the small threaded pieces that lock the rail in won't unscrew enough to allow clearance for it to slide forward enough for the bigger lugs to drop in the big side of the keyhole. I can just get the smaller locking tabs started in but it won't go forward enough to fully seat. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when I get home.
I'll toss up a picture of the backside of the rail I have.

Updating it: I posted this like 20 minutes ago but after I typed it out about the locking tabs not unscrewing enough I started dicking around with it again. I got it on but I had to kind of fight though where it was staked about a <strike>half</strike>3 and a half turn on each tab and it goes on really well now and once tightened down locks up nicely. I'm guessing they were just staked a touch off of where they should be. It was rather difficult to push through the point I could feel where they screws were staked and to where it would go on. Part of me was worried about just stripping it out and ruining a new piece, granted it wasn't expensive and other than that it was just pretty tough with the little T15 wrench. Thanks guys guys for throwing out some ideas to me. First AR build and definitely first time messing with keymod type stuff.

Attachments

• keymod rail.jpg
    keymod rail.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: