• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Kgm R338 suppressor

6cmShooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2019
Tucson, Arizona
Does anyone have any experience with the kgm r338 suppressor? Been looking at getting a new can once I finish up my 338 norma magnum rifle. Been looking around for any type of review on it and can only seem to find information about their 5.56 and 30 cal line of cans.

Keep in mind that KGM pulled much of their commercial suppressors. Have you looked at the CGS Hekate? I think it is a better choice. Maybe the Rex Silentium or Thunder Beast? Rex is not known to be a leader in performance, but they are solid performer and priced right. CGS is one of the top-of-the-line manufacturers, and T.B. is consistently a good performer.

They weren't on the market long before they pulled them, big fed contract so they diverted resources. All of my kgm cans are in jail still.

There's a lot of haters that blame them for the problems with dead air cans. It's a problem with the dead air design as both of their OEMs have had issues.

Reactions: southernpew
So I have a KGMR556 can and an R30T in jail. I haven't put a lot of rounds through the 5.56 can, but I've been very happy with it. Suppression is good. I like the sound signature. Not much blowback. And I like the attachment system. The fact that they seem to have some big gov. contracts gives me some confidence that they will be around for a while and that their cans will prove to be pretty rugged. Yes, they did make the DA Sierra 5, which has had problems, but they also made the Sandman for DA, which has proven to be a solid hard use can.

Plus, at the markdowns these cans have been selling for they are hard to resist. Picked up the 30T for $400, and the 5.56 for $170 plus $5 shipping directly from KGM.

So I have a KGMR556 can and an R30T in jail. I haven't put a lot of rounds through the 5.56 can, but I've been very happy with it. Suppression is good. I like the sound signature. Not much blowback. And I like the attachment system. The fact that they seem to have some big gov. contracts gives me some confidence that they will be around for a while and that their cans will prove to be pretty rugged. Yes, they did make the DA Sierra 5, which has had problems, but they also made the Sandman for DA, which has proven to be a solid hard use can.

Plus, at the markdowns these cans have been selling for they are hard to resist. Picked up the 30T for $400, and the 5.56 for $170 plus $5 shipping directly from KGM.
Are they all gone at the clearance price?

Given that KGM no longer participates in the civilian market, I would be considered about CS in the future.

TBAC seems the obvious choice for .33 cal precision rifle applications. Not a lot of options in this space.

Reactions: FuhQ
I picked took possession of a 30XL beginning of September and should have the R338 soon as I only bought them a month apart. Haven’t shot the 30XL yet, but the machining is gorgeous.

Given that KGM no longer participates in the civilian market, I would be considered about CS in the future.

TBAC seems the obvious choice for .33 cal precision rifle applications. Not a lot of options in this space.

They're still around. Not like they won't service or repair it.

Sent an email to them this morning for an item unlisted on their website, R338 brake in 5/8x24 and had a response back with an invoice and payment URL within 2 hours. Great company to deal with.

Reactions: kthomas
Form 4 received today for my R338! Woot!!
Let us know how it sounds when you shoot. I have the ultra 338 from TBAC and love it, but the r338 looks nice with that brake on the end.

They weren't on the market long before they pulled them, big fed contract so they diverted resources. All of my kgm cans are in jail still.

There's a lot of haters that blame them for the problems with dead air cans. It's a problem with the dead air design as both of their OEMs have had issues.
Except that KGM is letting cans out into the wild with visible defects and it's not just the Sierra 5. I blame both of them and I wouldn't buy another can from either company.

Except that KGM is letting cans out into the wild with visible defects and it's not just the Sierra 5. I blame both of them and I wouldn't buy another can from either company.

I have since gotten my KGMs out of jail, and they're flawless.

Isn't it odd though, that both of dead air's OEMs have problems?

It's a manufacturing issue, not a design issue. If it were a design issue, none of the cans would work.

I'm not privy to all the details, agreements and manufacturing processes but things like alignment issues or baffles that are cracked as they leave the factory are QC, not design. Some have said DA designs their suppressors and has other companies build them. I think that's likely true to a point where they have a target suppressor concept in mind. I'm willing to guess the actual engineering is done by the manufacturer or at least verified by them. Maybe not in this case, who knows. DA likely does the cerakote, final assembly of end caps and mounts to bodies, along with packaging, sales and marketing. Just a guess.

In your case, it's a very small sample size. There are Sierra 5's, Wolfmans or Nomads out in the field that have been working fine, no issues. So going by what's working isn't a good litmus test because we know there are issues. Maybe KGM takes extra steps in the manufacturing of suppressors with their name on it and I truly hope yours are flawless and work well for their lifespan. I know they're making Daniel Defense's suppressors but who actually buys those. We'll likely never see hoards of them out in the wild being tested.

In my case they're waiting on parts so they can fix it. I know DA does not make the cast stellite baffles and KGM may not even make the baffles. But KGM did the welding at the very least and making sure everything was aligned. So somewhere they dropped the ball and then proper QC wasn't in place at either company. If the baffles themselves are faulty, you'd think they'd stop production and sort it out. But new Sierras are arriving at dealers every day. Yet they don't have parts to fix my can. Makes me scream silently inside my head.

Reactions: Dave and FuhQ
I already have the ultra 338
CGS Hekate is excellent from what I hear... No first-hand, but reputable sources say it's very quiet.

If you're wanting something more compact for like 8.6 BLK subsonics, then you could always get a GQ Armory Paragon or the Otter Creek Labs Lithium... The Paragon was developed by Otter Creek Labs for GQ, so it's going to be a solid unit, as well.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 12.03.08 AM.png