• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kidd barrel and suppressor problems

thechristianbear2001

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
Canadian, TX
I have a ruger charger that I put a threaded 6" kidd bull barrel on. I have a friend who got his spectre can in that he has been shooting on a savage bolt .22. I asked if I could see what my charger would sound like suppressed but when I went to put the can on it threaded smoothly for two to three turns but then was difficult. I didn't want to mess up threads on my barrel or his can so I didn't force the issue and just took it off. The suppressor goes on smooth on his rifle as well as my thread protector but something is up with my barrel threads I believe. There doesn't appear to be any burrs on it and it threads my protector on easy but this won't work when my suppressor finally does show up. Any ideas ????

Good call not to force the can on. Call KIDD up.. They are top notch and will take care of you!! Keep us posted. If you get a chance, go to a machine shop and have them measure the threads on the barrel. Should be 1/2"x28.

Measure the length of your threads, KIDD uses a longer thread length, SWR/Silencerco thread spec is .4" long if I remember correctly. It's likely that your threads are .5" in length and will not allow the suppressor to shoulder up properly.

aruvysus.jpg

e5ajynab.jpg

6e2u4e9e.jpg

Length of thread is not the problem. Diameter, pitch, or depth of thread is were the problem is.
You will need a thread pitch gauge, and calipers to check these specs. The Thread protector
size is of no importance as those threads fit both barrels but could be cut larger.

Issues with KIDD vs. a suppressor have been discussed several times. I talked to KIDD and tried a bunch of remedies including adaptors that were custom made to try to get my 10/22 to shoot with a suppressor... I didn't want to screw it up too much though since the barrel shot so well. I ended up having it re-threaded and it solved the issue.

Near as we could figure the shoulder was just a fraction off and didn't allow the suppressor to seat properly. It wasn't enough to have baffle strikes; but apparently it was enough to de-stabilize the rounds.

Issues with KIDD vs. a suppressor have been discussed several times. I talked to KIDD and tried a bunch of remedies including adaptors that were custom made to try to get my 10/22 to shoot with a suppressor... I didn't want to screw it up too much though since the barrel shot so well. I ended up having it re-threaded and it solved the issue.

Near as we could figure the shoulder was just a fraction off and didn't allow the suppressor to seat properly. It wasn't enough to have baffle strikes; but apparently it was enough to de-stabilize the rounds.

Well crud…. how much to get a already threaded barrel threaded right???? Thats stinks as that is the whole reason I bought the barrel I did

Did KIDD rethread the barrel for you? If there's been issues in the past with the way he threads his barrels and it's causing suppressors to not attach right I would think that he would have corrected this problem. I really see no need if you had it rethreaded by another company because KIDD Will make it right!

There's no need to go to another company simply call kidd up let them know what's going on and it will take care of it for you! I just purchased one of their barreled actions about six months ago and I have no problems whatsoever threading my suppressor on to his barrel. The barrel date come from KIDD with a threaded end

I have every confidence that KIDD would have made it right and it is NOT a big deal to me. Heck, his shop is only 2 hours from me... BUT, I had the resources at my disposal to have it done by the Suppressor Manufacturer and it didn't cost me a dime.

This was 2 years ago now. I don't even own the rifle anymore (I got an offer I couldn't refuse by someone that saw what it could do). But, if I ever - wait... WHEN I build my another 10/22 - I will be using a KIDD barrel. They are just WAY too good.

Kidd and crew emailed me back….told me the spectre thread depth is .400 and they cut their threads at .475…. they said to send it to them and they would make it right and all I would be out is the price of shipping. Good enough for me….

I had my 'smith thread a few barrels for me in both 1/2 X 28 and 3/4 X 24. I didn't leave the suppressor with him, which I should have. To shorten the story, the threads were just a hair too much in diameter and the suppressor would not thread on all the way without lots of force, which I *did not* do. I simply bought the correct split-ring threading dies, opened them as far as they'd go and very lightly chased the threads. Problem solved and the suppressor locks up perfectly.

Richard

Kidd and crew emailed me back….told me the spectre thread depth is .400 and they cut their threads at .475…. they said to send it to them and they would make it right and all I would be out is the price of shipping. Good enough for me….

Like I said earlier, the thread specs for the Spectre require a .4 length (depth) because of the o-ring engagement. A number of people have run into this many times.

Measure the length of your threads, KIDD uses a longer thread length, SWR/Silencerco thread spec is .4" long if I remember correctly. It's likely that your threads are .5" in length and will not allow the suppressor to shoulder up properly.

How did you guys miss this earlier? This is like post #4 answering your question...

Well, I guess my only excuse is I don't have any way to measure threads so getting it straight from the horses mouth was my only option. Are most other suppressors able to accept the .475 or .50 thread depth?

I noticed on my KIDD barrel when I attach the YHM mite, there is about 1/8" or so gap between the barrel and suppressor after it's screwed on. Is this a problem or can it be a problem?

I noticed on my KIDD barrel when I attach the YHM mite, there is about 1/8" or so gap between the barrel and suppressor after it's screwed on. Is this a problem or can it be a problem?

Yes that is a problem, the can needs to sit snug to avoid movement which can cause baffle strikes

I was wondering about that also…..I plan on having at least two hosts for my spectre II and don't want to mess with washers or anything each time I screw the can on the opposite gun. Maybe something like that is the remedy for barrels that have threads that are longer than .4

The can is screwed on snug. It doesn't move when it's attached to the barrel. Guess I need one of these?
Spacer for .22lr Silencer use on longer-threaded barrels

It needs to be snug up against the barrel, that it the part that is cut concentric to the bore which ensures that when suppressor is tightened down it is also now concentric to the bore. Given the time it takes to get a tax stamp I'd hate to risk a baffle strike because it's off by a degree or two.

You may look into the spacer idea but again you want something that is machined exactly flat so your can sits straight to the bore. Don't cheap out and use a lowes washer that may be uneven.

I have no experience with the spacer options..

Ok, I just took some calipers to my barrel and suppressor. Here are the measurements I got.
The length of the threads on the KIDD barrel is .475
The length of the threads inside of the YHM Mite where the barrel screws into is .410
The DISTANCE from the back of the suppressor to the tip of where the first cone is (blast chamber) is .770

So IF my math is right, I have .295 distance (0475-.770) from the crown of my barrel and where the tip of the first cone is.

Am I good to go or do I need to have the threads on the barrel cut back or get a spacer??

When I ordered my Kidd barrel I asked them to thread it to silencerco's thread specs for a spectreII. I emailed the link to the spec from silencerco's website and they said it'd be no problem. Didn't cost any extra. The very nice lady on the phone said it might delay shipment of the barrel a few days but I still had it at my house within like 2 weeks. It didn't cost me any extra other than a few phone calls with Kidd. Still waiting on my can to clear so I can't verify anything. But they will do it to a different spec. They did ask me if it was 1/2x 28 so it might have to be a standard pitch and diameter.