• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kids 22 trainer optic

Lmatt

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2017
Idaho
I was thinking about putting a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 on a T1x. Because that is what is I have on a T3x in 7mm-08. Is the parallax going to cause frustration at close range for my daughter?

How close of range are we talking? Take your 7mm-08 and see if it will focus to whatever yards your daughter plans on shooting would be my suggestion.

Most shooting will probably be done at around 50 yards, but could be less than 25 at times. I had no trouble shooting the 7mm-08 at 50 at max magnification, but I was struggling with the focus of the reticle on my wife’s VX-5hd 2-10 with it maxed out. I already bought an extra VX-3i 3.5-10x40 with plans to replace the VX-5hd. I was just thinking if it would work good inside of 50 it would make for an excellent trainer for both of them. So I guess I just need to try it out for myself.

If you intend to shoot a lot under 50yards then I'd recommend getting something that adjust parallax lower than the VX3/VX5.

My VX5hd was a great scope on my 22lr but there were times when minimum parallax was an issue.

I like scopes I can dial just like on my CF rifles. Built 22's for the nephews, we usually shoot 100 to 225 yards. 25-50 yards was too easy for them with an accurate 22. They learned to dial and hold for elevation and wind. Focus is important too, especially when shooting small dots close up.

Sounds like the advice I’m getting is that I would be shooting myself in the foot by trying to build an exact clone. I guess I’ll start shopping for a proper rimfire scope. I actually have a 7-35 ATACR on my 22. So I understand the value of having a scope that adjusts down. I just got thinking that as a kid we only had cheap junk scopes on 22’s. They were fixed parallax and we didn’t have issues hitting stuff, but we were usually shooting in the 25-50 yard range. We also weren’t shooting paper. It was usually beer cans or some sort of vegetation like shooting off thistle heads. We were just dumb kids that thought our cheap 22’s and cheap ammo were laser accurate and if we missed we must have messed up. This sport would be much cheaper if I would have maintained my previous knowledge base