• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kids First Pistol

gixxer822

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2011
Phx, Az
my boys finally started to show real interest in shooting over this last year. youngest 8 oldest 10. theyre loading, firing, clearing jams, adjusting there scope etc all on there own. my oldest is strong enuff to chamber a round in my wifes glock 26 now but i think a 9mm would be a lil snappy and overall might intimidate him just yet. definatly dont want to push my obsession onto him yet, i want it enjoyable.

So, which caliber? 380 maybe. 22lr? 9mm?

is most 22s being made by Umarex, the airsoft company? i want spomething to last cuz were not range shooters, were desert ppl. its gonna be ran hard, in the heat and very dirty. i hear horrifying things about the sig mosquito, great things about buckmark, and the sig 238. only reason im weiry of the 380 is cuz i reload for 9mm and sometimes ive found em mixed in before by luck. whts your kids first? thx guys

This is an easy one. Get an Advantage Arms 22 kit for one of your Glocks. Then he's practicing with the same grip, trigger pull, sight picture as the big boy gun but without all the recoil. Plus, it will safe you a decent chunk of change from another pistol and make your existing handgun lineup more versatile. Win-win.

I think 22 would be great. You don't have to load it, it's cheap, and plenty for kids to learn to shoot accurately with.

Buckmark or Ruger get great reviews, and will last a lifetime. I would want something that I can let them shoot a BUNCH, and that they'll have to teach their kids to shoot with someday.

This is an easy one. Get an Advantage Arms 22 kit for one of your Glocks. Then he's practicing with the same grip, trigger pull, sight picture as the big boy gun but without all the recoil. Plus, it will safe you a decent chunk of change from another pistol and make your existing handgun lineup more versatile. Win-win.

have you ran one before. any issues. is the AA better then the tactical solutions kit?

Yeah, I have the Advantage Arms kit for my Glock 23. The only issue is keep it oiled, and run the ammo they recommend. So long as I don't run it dry and run the proper ammo, it's been great. When my wife is with me, I start her out with the AA slide, then switch out after a couple mags to either my KKM 9mm conversion barrel or the standard 40S&W. She always shoots better when she starts on the 22LR mags. I haven't used the TacSol kits.

S&W M&P 22--similar platform to centerfire M&P, light recoil spring, not snappy like small .22s.

+ 1 to the M&P .22. With a full size pistol, it's something that they can grow into and any adult can use as a training tool as well. They are made by Carl Walther if that makes any difference but they use the same threaded barrel adapter as the p22 if you wanted to dive into a .22 can (if you haven't already) Only down side that I have to the Smith is the mags were somewhat expensive and difficult to find PRE 2A freakout. I was lucky to get the three spares I have now.

Get an original S&W model 17. Your investment will never lose value and provide years of shooting pleasure.