• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kifaru best pack? Need a 72 hr built like recon.

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
I want to carry 80 pounds comfortably over long distances. I want a pack that will last and not tear my shoulders up like the POS 511 Rush 72 pack.

It has to be atleast 24 inches up to 27.

I really like this pack but am going to look into the other suggestions.
http://www.kifaru.net/navigator.html

I have a NFA 14 inch mossberg 590 with a pistol grip folding stock that I take camping. I would prefer if it would fit in the pack so I dont look like a poacher.

If you compared these all side by side in over loading, long distance long term abuse, which one would come out on top? I want the best of the best 24 inch size 72 hour pack possible. Will any of these last 50 years of continuous use?

The gear that I carry is heavy and small. Does someone make a 72 hour size pack that is as strong and well built as a regular recon pack as in frame and all? Do any of these smaller packs have frames or anything that would make one style more inheriently stronger and more comfortable than the other?

Re: Kifaru best pack? Need a 72 hr built like recon.

I personally own a navagitor and have carried my rifle (GAP in a AICS 2.0 folder) and all equipment for an extended stay at the range and it was VERY comfortable and extremly well made. There is no weight limt to the packs that Patrick makes at Kifaru. If you can load it and carry it, the pack is capable.

My Kifaru Marauder pulling light duty as a range bag. A fair amount of space in there for 72 hours of gear. As for lasting 50 years, ill let you know in 2060. But I dont foresee taking Kifaru up on their lifetime warranty, its built like a tank.

Get the padded belt for heavy loads (if you get an omni class). I take it off unless i have the long-pockets and back pouch (doubling the capacity) attached for hiking/camping.

It fits like I was born with it. Cant recommend them strongly enough!

I am coming at this from a purely hiking/backpacking perspective - but how on earth do you get 80 lbs of gear in a 65 L pack?

My normal weekend pack is a 65+10 L pack and crammed to overflowing with crap strapped to the outside it weighs 40-45 lbs.

I used to have a 100L pack and the only time I ever broke 80 lbs was when I was carrying three and a half gallons of water and some of a buddy's gear.

I can highly recommend Kifaru packs and have used a ZXR, big brother to the Zulu for several years. It does everything you want a pack of this size to do and more. Kifaru has outstanding customer service as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Eberlestock packs. Seriously.</div></div> I'll disagree here. Their belts aren't robust enough for that load and if you're over 6' or have a long torso their bags just aren't big enough. That said, I can't recommend a pack, only that I know the eberlestocks don't fit the bill for me. I'm looking at a Kifaru MMR/EMR now.

I've owned several Kifaru's and Mystery Ranches. I only own Mystery Ranch now. Just my personal experience, but I find the mystery ranch has better load-bearing system and is overall much more comfortable. MR has an adjustable suspension system....by the user. Kifaru is custom fitted: sounds good till till you find out you don't like the fit.

The founder of Dana Designs now owns and runs Mystery Ranch. So, he has forgotten more about packs than most people know.

RE Kifaru vs Mystery Ranch... I had a Kifaru Gen2 Navigator. Sold it and bought a MR Glacier. Couldn't be happier. The MR carries far better than my Navigator did. Mind you, the Kifaru construction was at least as nice as the MR, I just couldn't get that Navigator to carry well. Always had way too much weight on my shoulders no matter how much I messed with it. With my Glacier, I don't feel any weight on my shoulders really (35-50 lb load usually).

I just ordered a MR Dragon Slayer that I'm stoked to get. They only had coyote in stock, but are in the process of a production run. Estimate on my foliage Dragon Slayer is 2-3 weeks. I also considered the Kifaru Molle Express, but my experience with each company's larger packs influenced me heavily.

If you plan to carry over 40 pounds or so regularly, the MR Big Horn would be a good option. At 3000 cu^in it's on the larger side of the "3 day" pack realm, but offers good load support and should fit the 24" item inside at an angle.