• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kifaru pack question

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
I'm thinking about buying a Kifaru pack. I noticed that both the internal frame packs and external frame packs both hug really close to a persons back. I'm wondering if anybody has had any problems with that causing you too hold too much heat against your back?

Re: kifaru pack question

I have a EMR and a Zulu
I also use a Mystery Ranch G6000
I live in Ga, so at times we have plenty of heat and humidity
They have as much ventilation as most internal frame packs
Even in cooler weather, humping it up a big mountain my back is wet with sweat.

That's what i was wondering about. I was wondering if my back would get wet with sweat when trekking in cold weather. I talked to Kifaru today about it and they said you can adjust it so you have air space between your back and the pack and then cinch it down snug to your body when you need it tighter for more stability. Is this a negligible consideration when considering a pack?

It is worth considering, but if the pack fits well I think of it as low priority. Every pack I have used makes my back sweat to some extent.

I am new to the whole high end packing so I wasn't sure how much consideration to put into that aspect of a pack. Thank you for the info guys

I live about 5 miles from their shop so I tried on a few different packs before buying the Zulu. A little moisture on the back is well worth the trade off for the quality and features and comfort of these packs. Get one, you won't be sorry,

I've talked to a few people that i know and it sounds like the general consensus is kifaru and internal frames have greatly evolved and are awesome. I also must say that I talked to Mel from Kifaru and he was extremely patient, helpful, and informative And he lives in CA which is extremely helpful. I haven't tried the packs yet but from all the different people I've talked to and the generous help and customer service from kifaru and mel I think I am sold so far on their products.

I have a Kifaru Navigator and it is as cool as any pack I have ever owned. The kicker for me is how comfortable it is when you are carrying it adjusted correctly.