• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Killing hogs

Hogs B Gone

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2012
Alabama
I have started a hog eradication business and I am looking at buying a new gun to help me maximize my kill numbers when I get into a sounder.

I want to purchase a gun that I can get an use with a suppressor and subsonic ammo to hunt pigs. The vast majority of my shots are under 75 yards. The avg size pig is around 80 lbs. I routinely kill 3 or 4 out of a sounder with my bolt action and grunt call. But, I would love to be silent with the gun and try to really up my totals when I get into a bunch of them.

What is the best caliber for the suppressor/subsonic combo?

Re: Killing hogs

Forget subsonic, get a semi-auto in 308 and shoot supersonic suppressed. The suppressor removes the signature of shooter location and they most often return on the same route they came in. The suppressor also lessens recoil, so follow-up shots are faster.

I played with very quiet sub loads for hog hunting and found that it all came down to shot placement - which is very difficult to manage with a subsonic round. Also, hits have to be absolutely perfect. Hogs respond more to squealing hog than they do to rifle report from a suppressed rifle (at ranges greater than 100 yards.) Putting hogs down with minimal noise (from the rifle and the victim) is the key to killing multiple hogs in one group.

I would advise an AR10-based rifle with NV scope. Many like 6.8 or 300BLK (super) but I have had best results with the tried-n-true 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RotARy15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 blackout. BEst utilized in a gas gun. </div></div>

That is what I would buy if I wanted a subsonic hog gun

I can bring this for you to try out. I should have my suppressor for it by mid october. I like killing hogs.

mike
0EEE485A.jpg

Supersonic 300 BLK in a short barreled AR. You don't want subsonics. When a subsonic blows by you, you can hear the gun shot and the impact of the bullet. When a supersonic bullet goes by, all you hear is a deafening crack from the bullet. You have no idea where the shot came from. Plus trajectory becomes an issue past 75 yards, and stopping power is an issue at all ranges.

The first hog I shot suppressed was out of a blind at 100yards. Turned to the feeder on the other side of the blind and there was another boar there, not a fare in the world. That and all the deer that were still hanging around. This was done with a .308 using full power loads.

I would run a .308 LR-308 or a R700 AAC-SD 20" pre threaded for around $650 is hard to beat depending on your budget. I personally am not the biggest fan of the .300 Blackout, just not my thing I guess. I think overall effectiveness would have to be a LR-308 with a can would be nice with the 19-20 rd mags. Plus you can just run to walmart or academy and buy up all the .308 you need.

Thanks for the info guys. I have been working a 1,500 farm this summer and they have already asked me back for next year. I have taken 158 out so far. I think a good suppressor could really help me up my numbers big time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogs B Gone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have taken 158 out so far. </div></div>

Jeez....you are the hog terminator!!

Some guys have all the fun.

frown.gif

Them ain't hogs!!! Them's pigglets !!! HOGS weigh 300# and up.

And I wouldn't recommend using a 10/22 to take out a HOG.

Just sayin' . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Them ain't hogs!!! Them's pigglets !!! HOGS weigh 300# and up.

And I wouldn't recommend using a 10/22 to take out a HOG.

Just sayin' . . . </div></div>

A 10/22 shoots right through a hogs skull, just like any other skull. And they drop. And none spook or run off. It's not at all glamorous, but it is effective.

OK, Jack, tell ya what, I'll leave ya standing in a bamboo or cane thicket with your 10/22 when a 400# boar breaks out in front of you at about 30 feet.

What would your choice of caliber be then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, Jack, tell ya what, I'll leave ya standing in a bamboo or cane thicket with your 10/22 when a 400# boar breaks out in front of you at about 30 feet.

What would your choice of caliber be then? </div></div>

Am I on the ground? How did I end up on the ground? Did I fall out of the truck? Why am I doing anything other than getting back into the truck? Did I fall out of the treestand? I'm confused. Because usually I don't find myself on the ground with 40# anything coming at me, much less 400#'s. Guess all my usual planning and hard work has gone completely out the window in your made up fantasy, huh? Well damn. What should I choose? The SKS seems awesome at CQB in BattleField3 on xbox live....

All the guys I know who remove hogs and such professionally in wholesale numbers use suppressed 10/22's or similar and drop 5-6 before they spook. Not glamorous, but they can use anything and they run suppressed 22lr's. And they get paid by the head, not the hour.

I kill most of my pigs on spot and stalks. About a 4-1 ratio vs stand hunting. Spot and stalk kills are rarely over 100 yards. Most are under 50 yards. How will that work if I go with a suppressor and supersonic ammo?

We had a lot of hogs years ago. They have moved on since then.

We shot a lot of pigs from the truck. But if you ever got in the woods or grown up fields with them they could be close before you realized it.

I still say 300 blackout in an ar15 type rifle for anything under 100 yards. Subsonic for close, supersonic for long shots.

I have no doubt that you can kill hogs with a .22lr. I know it has been done for years. I just don't want to do it.

Hogs b gone, If'n I'm close to you I can load up some gear and come visit and you can shoot hogs from 10/22 suppressed to AR10 in 243/308 suppressed with full bang ammo. 300 blk, 7.62x39 & 223 suppressed with full bang or sub ammo. Hell I'll bring a 7 mag suppressed and we can shoot them from the porch around the reeally big tree stand at the top of the hill!

New7magR.jpg

Rancid is about spot on with whacking a shit ton of hog, even on the run, after they've spooked. If there is any distance at all, bigger is better. If them hogs has been shot at much, suppressed ammo won't matter, when they hear the bullet hit hide/bone, they gonna bug out quick.

Now if you can get in close, Jack is right too, getting surgical with a suppressed 10/22 or pistol is a hoot....but you better bring your big boy britches when the shit hits the fan!

Cheers,
Breeze

ps I gotta show you what dem little pig look like with some wild cherry smoke applied!!!!!!

IMG00086-20110614-1249.jpg

We'll put some the subsonic trials on that pit and eat good yeah!

Varmint style AR with 5.56 or wylde chamber, 1-8 twist, suppressor and 75 or 77 grain load.
A lower priced alternative would be a Savage threaded barrel hunter max or 10 PC.

The Prvi 75 grain load has a very good rep. Not as accurate as FGMM, but accurate enough and a very deadly bullet.

Right behind and a little above the front "elbow", fast follow up on other piggies.

A lot of hogs have been taken with 22LRs where I grew up...Get some sort of 45-70 if you need one shot kills subsonic with a 405 grain bullet...Like a cut down marlin...With a 45cal AWC thundertrap on it...That would roll them up something fierce

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdh4376</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are cans legal to hunt with in Ala ? </div></div>
Quick reply, no.
However if you have a crop damage permit and your issuing authority approves your can, yes.
Or if you are a licensed pest exterminator you may get an elxclusion. You have to have a legitimate reason...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogs b gone, If'n I'm close to you I can load up some gear and come visit and you can shoot hogs from 10/22 suppressed to AR10 in 243/308 suppressed with full bang ammo. 300 blk, 7.62x39 & 223 suppressed with full bang or sub ammo. Hell I'll bring a 7 mag suppressed and we can shoot them from the porch around the reeally big tree stand at the top of the hill!

New7magR.jpg

Rancid is about spot on with whacking a shit ton of hog, even on the run, after they've spooked. If there is any distance at all, bigger is better. If them hogs has been shot at much, suppressed ammo won't matter, when they hear the bullet hit hide/bone, they gonna bug out quick.

Now if you can get in close, Jack is right too, getting surgical with a suppressed 10/22 or pistol is a hoot....but you better bring your big boy britches when the shit hits the fan!

Cheers,
Breeze

ps I gotta show you what dem little pig look like with some wild cherry smoke applied!!!!!!

IMG00086-20110614-1249.jpg

We'll put some the subsonic trials on that pit and eat good yeah!

</div></div>

Thanks..now im hungry

I killed 2 big boars, a small boar, and two sows this weekend slipping around. Caught 11 more in my traps. Lots of time spent at the skinning rack this weekend.

One more for the 10/22. I have shot several hogs and never had a problem. Usually we bait the hogs and catch them in pen, it is legal here since we have such a hog problem. I have killed several hogs with a .22LR from a Ruger Blackhawk. Once shot to the head and they drop like a rock. I also have a GSG-5 in 22LR and for the money it is fun to shoot, quiet, not too heavy, uses a box style mag, and does the job in a hurry. Shot placement is everything. Just something to consider.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/900804867/Guns/Rifles/Tactical-Rifles-Misc/GSG_522_Carbine_22LR.htm

Rob

I would spend all your money on Traps and becoming a good trapper if you are trying to make a business out of this. No way to a real go at it with a rifle. Traps can be working on several different ranches 24/7 while you can only be in 1 place at a time.

Now that being said, I would look for an AR platform pistol cartridge

wow some of you guys are total idiots.... This guy has a business... he wants to keep costs down and income up! Why would he buy a 300 black out? ammo is not cheap or really easy to get. Not compared to a 308. and look at the power difference. There is no sporting to this shit. he wants the hog DRT dead right there!

I would look at a 16 inch DPMS 308 sight it in with decent easy to get ammo. 1moa is plenty good. put a decent $500 scope on it. I would also get a red dot off to the side for close range! and a good suppressor. you would be ready to rock and roll!

Hornady makes a "RAZORBACK" ammo for 308 that uses a "special" powder that minimizes flash. Something to look into if shhoting in dark. Also that load isn't named "Razorback" for nothing ... monolithic hollowpoint. I'd give it a try IF I didn't already have my Barnes HP's loaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would spend all your money on Traps and becoming a good trapper if you are trying to make a business out of this. No way to a real go at it with a rifle. Traps can be working on several different ranches 24/7 while you can only be in 1 place at a time.

Now that being said, I would look for an AR platform pistol cartridge </div></div>

Agreed. You can trap hundreds a year with little effort. If I owned land and 2 people came to me to eradicate hogs, I'd go with the one who traps rather than "hunts."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would spend all your money on Traps and becoming a good trapper if you are trying to make a business out of this. No way to a real go at it with a rifle. Traps can be working on several different ranches 24/7 while you can only be in 1 place at a time.

Now that being said, I would look for an AR platform pistol cartridge </div></div>

Agreed. You can trap hundreds a year with little effort. If I owned land and 2 people came to me to eradicate hogs, I'd go with the one who traps rather than "hunts." </div></div>

Amen Brother, Preach on, tell the truth. Trapping is the most effective say 80%, night shooting second most effective at 15% and dogs at 5%... Our experience...
You can shoot out a piece of property, but you kill the stupid ones and move the smart ones off to the next property that does not shoot or trap. A few months later they WILL come back.
The 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC kill the shit out of hogs up to 250# and are easier to carry than some of the 308 platforms. The right 308 platform is very difficult to beat.
But I got HBG's initial request, wanting a sub-sonic to try silent shooting on hogs. For that specific request, the blackout with a 240 grain reload is the best for what he asked for. But in my opinion, not very practical in the real world use. There is this one hog that took 10 solid full bore 308 hits and took a while to expire..... That hog would make any non believer religious in a field with waist high growth..... And yes, I have killed a bunch with a 22LR and most calibers in between up to a 300WM... Waiting to hit one with the 338 Lapua just for fun.

my father-in-law traps them on his land. he caught 7 in one trap this year (not a revolving door) and several more wore a path around the trap by morning trying to get in.

just FYI-- .32 auto is not a great round for killing hogs-- even if they are 3' away in a cage.

The original question was a subsonic. The guy has killed more pigs in a year than I have in my live. I bet he knows what he wants.

John's guns makes an integrally suppressed, bolt action .44 mag out of a Ruger host gun. Don't remember the original name, probably 77/44 or something. Shooting heavy cast 44 specials, it is subsonic. I think the black hills 300 gr were about 980 fps. That big flat nose knocks the shit out of pigs.

I kill hogs for hire also. I'll tell you this, fwiw, a suppressed 6.8spc is the most effective killing platform I've ever used! I've ran a 308 gas gun, 300 blackout, also.
But I will tell you this, right now I'm running a sr-15 5.56 with 75gn bthp. It's cheaper to shoot....that's why Im running it. But, I'm thinking hard bout going back to the 6.8 because they WILL run off if not tagged in the vitals with 5.56.
I shot a big boar the other night with 5.56, and under nvg's I could see the hit and mud fly off him and he just kept running. Took bout 5 or 6 hits to get his attention.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, Jack, tell ya what, I'll leave ya standing in a bamboo or cane thicket with your 10/22 when a 400# boar breaks out in front of you at about 30 feet.

What would your choice of caliber be then? </div></div>

Am I on the ground? How did I end up on the ground? Did I fall out of the truck? Why am I doing anything other than getting back into the truck? Did I fall out of the treestand? I'm confused. Because usually I don't find myself on the ground with 40# anything coming at me, much less 400#'s. Guess all my usual planning and hard work has gone completely out the window in your made up fantasy, huh? Well damn. What should I choose? The SKS seems awesome at CQB in BattleField3 on xbox live....

All the guys I know who remove hogs and such professionally in wholesale numbers use suppressed 10/22's or similar and drop 5-6 before they spook. Not glamorous, but they can use anything and they run suppressed 22lr's. And they get paid by the head, not the hour.

</div></div>

Good advice right there

Great advice guys.

I do trap and daylight hunt them. Hopefully, I will be able to night hunt them next year. I love to spot and stalk while hunting hogs. So far this year I have shot 99 and trapped 75. Have caught 15 in a single trap twice this summer. That is alot of hogs off of just 1,500 acres.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my father-in-law traps them on his land. he caught 7 in one trap this year (not a revolving door) and several more wore a path around the trap by morning trying to get in.

just FYI-- .32 auto is not a great round for killing hogs-- even if they are 3' away in a cage. </div></div>

.22 LR out of a rifle is what you want. Wait til they are facing you, shoot them between the eyes and about 1" up. Instant dead. We have killed 100's this way out of traps. It's not glorious or fun, but a trap and a .22 are the best tools for the job.

Suppressed 77/44 shooting 240-300gr subsonic loads. Thats what I use. It puts a hurt on them. Quieter and more lethal than any of my 300blk set ups.

img00437201105071317.jpg

My traps are 6 16' panels with an 8' gate. The gate is henged across the top and swings down when triggered. I have a tripod feeder in the middle and a game camera pointing toward the trap telling me when I have pigs hitting it good. This creates a big trap that will catch a large sounder.

I learned quickly that you need to sneak up on your traps when you check them. Many times you will have another pig or 3 on the outside hanging around. A good stalk will enable you to take them out and prevent having trap shy pigs in the area.

Okay guys, the more read and research, it looks like I will need to go to a 308 for subsonic. I treat my guns rough. They are used hard and I expect them to perform. That is why I like bolt actions. I am not against buying a used one either. As long as it still shoots straight and works smooth.

My 243 is stainless synthetic.
It laughs at blood sweat and mud. I love it. But, I think I need to add a 308 to my arsenal.

Please advise.

Any .308 bolt gun can shoot subsonics, but a twist in the 8-10" range is optimal if you want to use heavier bullets to make the low velocity work for you. Remington makes the AAC SD model which has a 10" twist and is pre-threaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogs B Gone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay guys, the more read and research, it looks like I will need to go to a 308 for subsonic. I treat my guns rough. They are used hard and I expect them to perform. That is why I like bolt actions. I am not against buying a used one either. As long as it still shoots straight and works smooth.

My 243 is stainless synthetic.
It laughs at blood sweat and mud. I love it. But, I think I need to add a 308 to my arsenal.

Please advise. </div></div>

Buy a heavy barrel gun in 1:10 twist, and have it cut and threaded at 18"

Get any semi 308 and don't stop pulling the trigger until you are out of bullets (see video in signature) or get a pickup (no doors), a .45 and a baseball bat and leave the rifles at home, they just get it the way. You are over thinking this. (.45 and baseball bat are for dispatching cripples after they have been run over) You will kill more pigs in an open field with a pickup then anything else. Trucks are like hog magnets. A hogs natural home is under the pickup, amongst drive lines and third members. It's a scientific fact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get any semi 308 and don't stop pulling the trigger until you are out of bullets (see video in signature) or get a pickup (no doors), a .45 and a baseball bat and leave the rifles at home, they just get it the way. You are over thinking this. (.45 and baseball bat are for dispatching cripples after they have been run over) You will kill more pigs in an open field with a pickup then anything else. Trucks are like hog magnets. A hogs natural home is under the pickup, amongst drive lines and third members. It's a scientific fact. </div></div>

Funny you say this. We see more deer, nearly every season, from the cab of my truck....than we do in the freekn stands. Im tempted to just drive out to the middle of the field or tree line and sit in and drink coffee and ill probably slaughter them. State regs say no shooting from a vehicle.....but I think that applies to those on a road.
confused.gif