• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber 84m vs Rem 700

Smp2500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Denver CO
Have a chance to pick up a Kimber 84m in 308 for a pretty good price, just wondering what everyone's opionion was of them. Looking to replace the Remington 710 mistake I made a couple years ago.

Re: Kimber 84m vs Rem 700

I would probably go with the Montana if I was going to keep it stock. A lot of people say that Kimber has hit and mis quality control with a mis on customer service but I have always had good luck and would take my chances. Clean lines and very light weight.
The pros for the remington are the availability of after market parts and gunsmithing services. It would be a better foundation for modification. Of course control feed vs. push and 3 position safety are in the eye of the beholder.

I'm really just looking for a good hunting gun, I've already got a great long range target gun.

I own 3 Kimbers, an 84M in 260, a 84L in 280AI and a classic 22lr. For a pure hunting tool you can't do any better without spending more money. Light, svelte, smooth and the stock is one of the best designed for recoil in a light rifle. My one issue with customer service was great. They took care of the problem in less than 7 days and they paid for shipping in both directions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smp2500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya it's the Montana classic in a 308. </div></div>

Montana is the synthetic stainless version.
Classic is the wood/blued version.

That's my bad. I saw the 84m and assumed they were all considered a Montana.

I've had some issues with my Kimber Montana in .308 (failure to feed from one side of the magazine, and light strikes on primers). Kimber has had it back once. They fixed the feeding, but the primer still light strikes some ammo. Even with this problem, its still a keeper for the combination of weight and accuracy.