• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Kimber Advanced Tactical Rifle

Tex1970

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2008
Seattle, Washington . USA
Gentlemen I already have a Kimber 8400 Tactical rifle, but am wondering how much better the Advanced Tactical really is. I love that A5 stock,and it's adjust ability. I am wondering if the Kim pro finish makes the action smoother, though mine is quite nice. All I have had to do to it is a trigger job, and it shoots 1/2 groups consistently. So how do yours shoot, and is it worth the extra money to upgrade to the better stock and finish? What kind of groups are you getting with hand loads, and how has the finish held up? Any practical experience or advice or heads up will be appreciated. Thanks for the Help.
Tex

Re: Kimber Advanced Tactical Rifle

I have not had the pleasure of shooting the advanced, but i have handled it and i enjoyed the trigger. It was no jewell by any means, but it was workable. consistent half groups are Very good by most standards. in my honest opinion, keep the one you have, shoot the hell out of it and work on your hand loads. BUT if you want it, then that is just as good a reason as any. maybe at least handle and dry fire one? Get some range time in with it if you can.

The 8400 AT has a different barrel. 26" with a 6 groove 1 in 10 twist vs the 8400 Tactical's 24 in barrel with a 4 groove 1 in 12.
That is the reason I paid for the AT. 5 round groups at 100 yds are tight cloverleafs and the A5 stock is very comfortable. Since I haven't fired the 8400 Tactical I can't compare the actions, but with the different barrel you are definitely getting a different rifle.

You must decide if the price difference is justified. There are folks out there with Kimbers that for some reason just don't shoot. I rolled the dice and this stick is a shooter. Another might not be.

Thanks gentlemen, see I did not know the barrels were different, let alone the twist, or number of groves. I will check into it, the one I have is with the work up of hand loads, and I admit I have only put 250rds down range with it but wanted to check out the AT to see if upgrade was worth it, Like BWFitz I too like the A5 stock with all the adjustments, and fussy as it maybe I would like tighter groups. Thanks again for the input gentlemen.
Tex

Will your bottom metal be drop in or will the stock need to be fitted? I am asking because my gun pimp(as I call him) has a 8400AT that i am looking at, but want to know if i am going to have to cut up that stock?