• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kimber mountain .308 or 30-06

B

boomer81

Im looking at the new kimber mountain asscent in .308 and maybe 30-06 for my hiking/hunting rifle ive read reviews stating groups from .5 moa all the way to two inch. Gonna run a night force 2.5-10x42. As far as target shooting how thin is the barrel will it start getting wild after a few shots. I know its not a target rifle but i would like to shoot it a bit. What cal would you suggest And overall how is the quality.

I would go with the more versatile .30-06. A thin barrel is not less accurate than a bull on the first 3-4 shots. If you plan to pack it a lot and not have long strings of fire then the .30-06 would be a great choice.

Would prefer the extra punch of the 06 in hiking type hunt. One of my next guns will be a light weight 06 for that very purpose. Also, ammo availability of the 06 can't be beat in a pinch.

I hunted with a guy that had one in 308. Damn light and handled well. Dont know what size groups he was getting but good enough to kill pigs. cant go wrong with either 308 or '06
I would imagine you will get a shot string when it heats up just like any other sporter rifle.

What are you planning to hunt? I have hunting rifles in both chamberings, but grab the '06 99% of the time. I regularly hunt whitetails and feral pigs, where either work equally well. Not much performance difference between the two, but if you plan to hunt larger game such as elk, I'd definitely go with an 06. As others have said, factory 06 ammo tends to not be scarce like 308 can be. One thing to consider is recoil. I'd think a lightweight rifle such as that in 06 would thump you pretty good shooting targets. You wouldn't know the difference hunting. All that said, I'd go with the 30-06. One of my favorite all around chamberings.

Not to drive this off topic, but the kimber is one of the the few guns that comes in 280AI from the factory. How can you pass that up?

I want to stay on a more common cartridge that if i didnt have time to load for i can buy good ammo. I have a 243 ai. I cant find a 30-06 anywhere only the .308 and i have alot of 308 brass anyway. I would like a 06 though

I want to stay on a more common cartridge that if i didnt have time to load for i can buy good ammo. I have a 243 ai. I cant find a 30-06 anywhere only the .308 and i have alot of 308 brass anyway. I would like a 06 though

If the action is the same length I would get the 30-06. If you want to push the bullets a little harder you will have the additional powder volume. For the other end of the spectrum, Hornady has recipes for that go down to 30-30 levels. The only reason for the popularity of the 308 is NATO. Everything the 308 can do, the 30-06 does equally well or better.

I have a sealed can (192 FMJ rounds) of HXP ammo left over from the M1919 I sold a while ago. The ammo/brass in the can is from 1970 and known to be of great quality. I also have 150 lose rounds from 72 for sale. After 1971 the Greeks made the rims a little thinner, which does not matter for bolt guns. They worked fine even in the 1919. Please PM if interested.

Last edited:
The 308 will be the 84M action and the .30-06 can be bought in the 84L or the 8400. The 308 Montana is a wicked light rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk