• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Kimber Super Carry Pro

Re: Kimber Super Carry Pro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(are all bushingless 1911's like that?) </div></div>

Not sure about ALL but current production Kimber Pros and SA Champions all require a tool. Kimber Ultras and SA Micros also require a tool. Fortunately, you can buy a spare set of three for a couple buck or keep a couple paper clips in the range bag.

Unless they changed it in the Super Carry, PROs have a solid guide rod and a reverse plug instead of the dual spring so it's MUCH harder to do it without a tool. I've been shooting Pros and Champions for a couple years now and it's really not a problem although opinions will certainly vary.

I do not have the pro but do have the Champion from Springfield. It has the 4" bull barrel recoil is very manageable may a bit snappier than the full size 1911. Regardless it is accurate and have been able to hit silhouette out to 100 yds with consistency.

DSC_0953.jpg

Here is my full size,

DSC_0928.jpg

DSC_0927.jpg

and the rest of them
DSC_0963.jpg

Can someone take a pic of the top of the slide on the super carry pro?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be a Pro? What about a 5" or 3"?
</div></div>

Nah, any are fine. I'm just curious what they did on the top of the slide, as I saw someone talking about it on a youtube video.

RANGE REPORT

Good Lord I can not believe that it took me almost a week to get in a few minutes to get it out to my range. I only had a few minutes so I shot one box and one box only.

Remington Green Box 230gr ball ammo
Indoor range
7 meters

Gun shoots great! Great pointer and the rounded bob feels very nice when acquiring a target and pressing the trigger. Had nice tight 10 round groups in black (sorry guys I didn't save the targets...I will next time). Had 47 trouble free rounds so here is the bad. First magazine, 8th round gun failed to go to battery...pushed slide forward last 1/8 inch and problem solved. That was the only round to not go to battery. Other two troublesome rounds were in the form of brass to face contact upon ejection (brass came straight back and hit me in the forhead). That was it...no other problems

I can't wait to get back to the range and get a 200 round day in. So far I like it.

DZ I will get to a pic of the top of my slide and post it here in the morning..I've been at work since 7 a.m. and it is now 12:30 a.m. *YAWN* time for me to drive home and hit the rack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be a Pro? What about a 5" or 3"?
</div></div>

Nah, any are fine. I'm just curious what they did on the top of the slide, as I saw someone talking about it on a youtube video. </div></div>

Here is the top oy my SC Custom. The front strap has similar "checkering" I question its effectiveness on the front.
2z4yg69.jpg

On another note, while I love these guns and am in search of a Pro to complete my set, I have had to tighten my grips about every 300 rounds on my Ultra and my Custom. Seems odd to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RANGE REPORT

Good Lord I can not believe that it took me almost a week to get in a few minutes to get it out to my range. I only had a few minutes so I shot one box and one box only.

Remington Green Box 230gr ball ammo
Indoor range
7 meters

Gun shoots great! Great pointer and the rounded bob feels very nice when acquiring a target and pressing the trigger. Had nice tight 10 round groups in black (sorry guys I didn't save the targets...I will next time). Had 47 trouble free rounds so here is the bad. First magazine, 8th round gun failed to go to battery...pushed slide forward last 1/8 inch and problem solved. That was the only round to not go to battery. Other two troublesome rounds were in the form of brass to face contact upon ejection (brass came straight back and hit me in the forhead). That was it...no other problems

I can't wait to get back to the range and get a 200 round day in. So far I like it.

DZ I will get to a pic of the top of my slide and post it here in the morning..I've been at work since 7 a.m. and it is now 12:30 a.m. *YAWN* time for me to drive home and hit the rack. </div></div>

While my custom continues to run like a scalded ape humping a singer sewing machine, the Ultra had some issues, it kept activating the slide lock, I shaved a few passes of metal away of of the slide lock with a file and not an issue since.

I also lap the slide to the rails with cheap white colgate toothpaste to expedite break in. A little bad on the rails and then hand cycle the gun (with out the guide rod and spring is easier) about 200 times seems to work well. Clean it up, a little oil and voila,

MJW - this thread sort of reminds me of all the aingst I went through over buying a Kimber and the folks who liked them and those that thought otherwise. It looks like you have a really nice piece there and I bet it will be a great shooter.

I liked the alloy-framed Tactical model with the extended mag well, night sights and a few other goodies. I couldn't decide between the 4" or 5" model, but somebody else snapped up the 4" Tact Pro, so I took the 5". It shoots great! At 200 rounds into the 300 round break-in period every range session was "flawless operation with all mags and loads tested" using Kimber 8rd and McCormick 8rd and 10rd mags, Winchester, Federal, Speer, Blazer and Magtech 230 gr hardball, 185 gr and 230 gr HPs. I quit noting performance after that and I'm at 370 rounds now without a single FTF so I guess it is broken in. It is accurate as well - I am definitely more of a long gun shooter and could barely qualify with the .45 in the service, but I can generally double tap silouettes at 50 yds with this Kimber.

I like mine so much that now I'm looking for a 4" Tactical Pro or maybe even a 3" or 4" CDP to use as a concealed carry weapon. The CDP with its rounded carry melt treatment is also one of those that just melts into your hand, so to speak. Good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be a Pro? What about a 5" or 3"?
</div></div>

Nah, any are fine. I'm just curious what they did on the top of the slide, as I saw someone talking about it on a youtube video. </div></div>

Here is the top oy my SC Custom. The front strap has similar "checkering" I question its effectiveness on the front.
2z4yg69.jpg

On another note, while I love these guns and am in search of a Pro to complete my set, I have had to tighten my grips about every 300 rounds on my Ultra and my Custom. Seems odd to me. </div></div>

Get yourself some blue locktite. Mine's the same way and always has been. In fact, the grips came loose a few weekends ago at a match...because my tube of locktite is at home.

This thread really makes me miss the old days of Kimber, though. I just did something I thought I'd never do...I bought a Springer. If I don't build my next 1911...it might come from SA too.

Is blue the "Oh, I f'ed this up and need to get it off" type of Loc Tite? This is the only Kimber (of about a dozen) that this has happened to me. OK Blue Loc Tite it is.

I picked up my Super Carry Pro today, part of the three gun trade I made a few weeks back.

No range report yet, but tomorrow I am getting after it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The blue loctite is removable, the red...not so much. </div></div>

That's good to know, that's why I asked.
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is blue the "Oh, I f'ed this up and need to get it off" type of Loc Tite? This is the only Kimber (of about a dozen) that this has happened to me. OK Blue Loc Tite it is.

I picked up my Super Carry Pro today, part of the three gun trade I made a few weeks back.

No range report yet, but tomorrow I am getting after it. </div></div>

A quick visit to the ranges showed 100 flawless and accurately placed rds down range. Accurate and smooth right out of the box. I love this gun, it will soon be my new carry gun.

fe sends

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Rock River Arms was the new Kimber, until they stopped making 1911s. </div></div>

I DO NOT agree. Rock River was definitely a notch above what Kimber ever was, in my opinion. They were closer to a Wilson or Nighthawk except I never saw a Rock River that didn't run.

Just my thoughts on it.

I like the Ultra and they used to run pretty well. I still think Kimber does a better job on a 3" gun than any of the other builders but its starting to sound like they run as badly as the others now. Now, I can't comment on STIs baby 45 because I've never gotten ahold of one but saw plenty of probs with Colts and particularly Springfields. As far as recoil goes, they seemed to be noticeably lighter recoiling than the Commander-size Aluminum frame guns and I suspect it's all in the recoil system.

Sorry about the dead thread revival.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

On another note, while I love these guns and am in search of a Pro to complete my set, I have had to tighten my grips about every 300 rounds on my Ultra and my Custom. Seems odd to me. </div></div>

As Downzero said, blue loctite but I prefer to put it on the gripscrew bushings (if they have come loose) then put purple loctite (light stuff) on the screws.

Since we revived this, someone asked about the drop safety. The Super Carry's do not have the drop safety (schwartz?) making them more like a series 70 / series 1 gun. I think this is why the trigger is noticeably better on these guns than my other kimbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we revived this, someone asked about the drop safety. The Super Carry's do not have the drop safety (schwartz?) making them more like a series 70 / series 1 gun. I think this is why the trigger is noticeably better on these guns than my other kimbers. </div></div>

I hadn't even noticed that these weren't "Series II" guns. Interesting. Might make one worth considering. Though I doubt the lack of the firing pin safety has anything to do with the trigger in yours since Kimber's firing pin safety is operated off the grip safety and not the trigger a la Colt. Maybe you got lucky and got a good trigger from the factory? Happens occasionally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we revived this, someone asked about the drop safety. The Super Carry's do not have the drop safety (schwartz?) making them more like a series 70 / series 1 gun. I think this is why the trigger is noticeably better on these guns than my other kimbers. </div></div>

I hadn't even noticed that these weren't "Series II" guns. Interesting. Might make one worth considering. Though I doubt the lack of the firing pin safety has anything to do with the trigger in yours since Kimber's firing pin safety is operated off the grip safety and not the trigger a la Colt. Maybe you got lucky and got a good trigger from the factory? Happens occasionally. </div></div>

I am certainly no gunsmith, but the triggers on all three Super Carries (Custom, Pro and Ultra) are all three pretty consistent.