• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Kimber VS. Springfield Armory for off duty carry

Re: Kimber VS. Springfield Armory for off duty carry

Congratulations, youll have to post some range pics

I've found the 3" Kimber Ultra to be more pleasant to shoot with full power .45 ACP than from an Aluminum framed Commander-size gun. I've never owned Springfield Armory guns but managed a range that had some as rentals. I saw the barrels come apart more than once on the S.A. But still rare cases. I've also seen Kimbers with the series II safety suffer functional issues. Test the gun. They both have their strong suits. Neither is a bad gun in my experience. Even the MIM parts in the Kimber hold up pretty well.

Now for all of you complaining about rust on your "stainLESS" guns and your white finish bbls. Freakin lube the things. Stainless is just that, NOT STAINPROOF. You'll find Ruger's Stainless will rust about as readily as the Kimber Stainless. My personal experience. Smooth finished stainless seems to have less issue, but the rough "sandblasted" (too course to be bead blasted) seems to begin rusting in the bottoms of the pits. Wipe the gun down each night and you shouldn't have a problem. If you put oil on the places that don't get touched often (i.e. under the stocks). Stainless steel is always a compromise. You get a level of corrosion resistance that is inversely proportional to the "toughness" of the steel. The "tougher" (a better term escapes me right now) the steel, the less corrosion resistant as a general rule. The most stain resistant of the stainless steels tend to be softer alloys. To further complicate matters, stainless is only stainless in an oxygen rich environment. See what happens to stainless under salt water on a boat sometime. It's not pretty.

If I had to wipe my gun down every day, I would just get it chromed.