• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing KMW Sentinel stock

Mwalex

Private
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2011
    I'm looking into a .260 Remington build and really like the Sentinel stock as a starting point for the rifle. Do any of you guys have experience with that stock? If so would you please share your opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: KMW Sentinel stock

the most comfortable stock I have shot behind... that means little to you but this is opinion based
    laugh.gif

YMMV

Dave

I agree with GasLight, it's an extremely comfortable and usable stock for me. They fit some people perfect and they don't work for others. You need to get behind one and decide for yourself, I bet you will like it. As far as quality goes, they're top notch. They are built by McMillan for Terry who is a pleasure to work with; you need to have a little patience if you order one though.

I also recommend getting behind one. I was going to run one one a 300 Norma and found the butt hook being so far back wasn't comfortable to me. I went with a T5A for my build.

Plan on a long wait for whatever stock you choose. My estimated 10 weeks through Manners has been extended to 16 weeks. I'm sure @ 16 weeks, it'll get extended again.

I have a 260 Sentinel rifle, and an additional Sentinel stock that will go on another build. I am very comfortable behind the Stock. Fits me well.

Before investing you should try and handle one to see if it works for you. Didn't take me long after I held one the first time to know it was perfect for me.

I love 'em! I don't not love trying to find one though haha.

If you can't get behind one before buying, buy one anyway and try it out. They hold their value and you'll have no problems selling it.

I bought mine without ever getting behind one and love it. My next rifle will be built on a Sentinel. I like the fact it comes with Terry's bottom metal already fitted to the stock and now they are coming with the hardware to switch from a harris to an atlas style bipod. And like Northland said if you dont like it your not gonna lose anything on resale if you dont like it.

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's great advice to try one out before buying but that might be much easier said than done. I'm leaning toward taking the plunge and buying one. As some have pointed out I can easily enough resale the stock.

A friend of mine bought a rifle that utilizes the KMW stock and I have to say it's the most comfortable rifle I've gotten behind. The contour of the grip and length from the back of the grip to the trigger is so well done.

+1, most who shoot it like it. I want another one for my .308 now.

I'll be the voice of dissent, I really really really wanted one a couple years ago and was able to get behind one and found it actually wasn't for me.

This can be said of any stock design, so the advice to get behind one of whatever you are considering prior to ordering is sage advice indeed.

I know guys that have shot a stock model for years that thought they loved it until they tried something else. It would behoove you to mock something up and find what LOP works for you, and if you will need an adj cheek, no matter what stock you wind up getting....the right stock with the wrong fit will compromise the endeavor no matter what.

As much as I like the KMW Sentinel stock I wholeheartedly agree with this advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be the voice of dissent, I really really really wanted one a couple years ago and was able to get behind one and found it actually wasn't for me.

This can be said of any stock design, so the advice to get behind one of whatever you are considering prior to ordering is sage advice indeed.

I know guys that have shot a stock model for years that thought they loved it until they tried something else. It would behoove you to mock something up and find what LOP works for you, and if you will need an adj cheek, no matter what stock you wind up getting....the right stock with the wrong fit will compromise the endeavor no matter what. </div></div>

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I like the idea of doing a mock up.

I believe the Sentinel comes with an adjustable LOP. I'll look to make sure.

Real quick question about them, other than the badger and surgeon actions what other if any actions can he make them for, and how much are they going for, i tried downloading the price list but wasn't able.