• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knee/elbow pads

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
Which manufacturer makes the best for competition? Match rules state they must be worn period. Opinions/experience please.

Re: Knee/elbow pads

blackhawk hellstorm pads are great, have 2 pairs and they dont bother you like other cheapy ones

Are the acu pants/5.11 style insert foam pads adaquate for the rules? They aren't nearly as thick or protective as real pads obviously.. But they are almost unnoticable in terms of incumberance/comfort and do pad your knees well enough that dropping prone quicky doesn't bang up your knees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blackhawk hellstorm pads are great, have 2 pairs and they dont bother you like other cheapy ones </div></div>

+1 . I use the same.

I use HellStorm elbow pads(very very comfortable), and Alta knee pads.

I would recommend the Blackhawk Hellstorms as well. I would just make sure to get the neoprene version and not the hard plastics ones. The neoprene ones just slip on while the plastic ones use velco straps which drove me crazy. They really dug into my skin while wearing short sleeves.

KP Industries UltraFlex- hands down
Rifles Only Inc-Kneepads page
I have them and the BlackHawk Neoprene and Advanced Tactical-the UltraFlex are by far the most comfortable and least restrctive.
I use the Blackhawk Adv. Tac. elbow pads but I may move to Nike Pro Combat (soft) elbow pads for competition. They're lighter, more breathable and wick sweat better-DISCLAIMER-I work for Nike.
J

J,

Do tell us more about "Nike Pro Combat". I run the cheap Allstar brand volleyball knee pads for elbow pads and while light weight and inexpensive enough to not cause a bunch of heart burn when I tear them up, they are hot. Fashion colors are not an issue as I buy the black or white and Krylon them if need be.

Danel

Hi,
Here's a link to the specfic Nike Pro Combat that I wear. Nike Pro Combat link It's basically a padded baselayer to prevent injuries during play. It's not a substitute for hard-plate pads like the Blackhawk products-but, if you're not shooting on rocks this stuff seams to work pretty well.
Cheers,
J
PS-Danel, nice tri-ods and rests....something new to add to the must have list!

I use the Blackhawk newer versions ones and they are great. I don't use them all the time on callouts, as I have the padded knee inserts as well, in my BDU's. I absoulutey HATE elbow guards etc though, so I use black soft padded soccer slip on shin pads under my BDU top, and it by FAR, has become my favorite, as it protects the forearm also.