• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knee meniscectomy - recovery

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas

Going in Friday to clean up a radial tear in my medial meniscus. For those of you who have had this procedure, what was your recovery like? Any stupid shit to avoid?

Thanks

I had it done 9 years ago.
Doc said recovery would be about 6 weeks.
After two weeks, he said to just press on with life, but pay attention to it.
I did make the mistake of kneeling down on it after about 10 days because it no longer hurt. It hurt that day. 🙃

It's now an atmospheric weather barometer. If the pressure drops, I can feel it in the joint. Otherwise, it's been good.

Do what your doc and physical terrorist tell you to do. Don't do what I did, and tear it again 6 weeks later!! :ROFLMAO:

6 weeks post surgery, I was dragging a buck in the dark and tripped over some roots. Had surgery again about 2 months later. 8 months after that, total knee replacement.

Reactions: Maggot
I had it and a half dozen other things done to mine in the first couple days of May. I missed one day of work, and 2 weeks to the date after I had the surgery I was in wyoming climbing mountains looking for spring bears. You don't need physical therapy.

Reactions: 338dude
I’ve been through it 3 times now. Twice on my left knee and next time will be replacement. Recovery was quick each time. Walking on it in 2 days and back to hiking the mountain in 2 weeks. No physical therapy or prescription meds. Long horse rides are rough duty now, so I walk about half of the time. Like mentioned above, I can forecast weather with my knees. Good luck!

cant say,

did tear my Miniscus almost 2 yrs ago

ortho, and my niece (Dr of Physical Therapy) said do these excersise and such,

did have another Dr I met tell me of a study that most folks did better w/o any surgery, when compared to those that did, over a period of time,

however,

I can say,

I still cannot naturally extend that knee like the other one,
it still hurts, but not as bad,

my gate has changed, and made my other knee hurt, as well as my hips

some of which if from age , and arthirits, since I worked standing and walking on concrete or tile daily,
some if it is from needing to drop 20+ lbs

so, my advice, such as it is, is to listen and do exactly what they tell you, and be communicative with the docs as you progress

Reactions: JimTN
I dunno, not myself personally, but avoid taking pretty much any of the crap they give you for after. Just suck it up and let it heal. I know a number of folks who had the recovery be much worse from the "take two of these and don't call me" type docs. It hurts. no way around it.

I had it done and after suffering for 9 months I felt like superman. Two weeks after I thought I could snowshoe 3 miles in and back to my cabin. BIG mistake. Set me back months in my recovery.

Reactions: MJF
Timely thread. I'll be having the same procedure this fall/winter. The doc said two weeks non weight bearing and four weeks of limited use. I want to retain an active lifestyle so will follow all recommendations in hopes of full recovery. It's good to know that it might be less than two weeks of no weight. Thanks for the information.

I had both of mine done. Do as they say for recovery. You’ll go back after 2 weeks for a checkup and in that timeframe they more than likely will tell you no weight bearing until the checkup. They might have you go to PT 2-3 times and then cut you loose under the stipulation that you take it easy for another 4 weeks or just throw caution to the wind and tell you to go hog wild on daily activities and exercise.

I took the pain pills for 3 days and then took Tylenol and Advil. A lot of ice packs and I kept my knees/legs wrapped for at least a week if I’m remembering correctly to help with the swelling.

I had mine done at the end of summer 1989 right b/f school started for my junior year. With basketball season approaching I was nervous b/c it wasn't a 'ho hum' procedure back then like today....I had the same thing a bucket handle tear. Needless to say the tech and skill sets of surgeons wasn't anywhere near what it is today. In a month I was back full tilt never missed a beat. Good luck hope it's a cinch!

Reactions: Smitty192
I had mine done at the end of summer 1989 right b/f school started for my junior year. With basketball season approaching I was nervous b/c it wasn't a 'ho hum' procedure back then like today....I had the same thing a bucket handle tear. Needless to say the tech and skill sets of surgeons wasn't anywhere near what it is today. In a month I was back full tilt never missed a beat. Good luck hope it's a cinch!

Yep, now look at you. 200,000 miles on that chassis and things are falling apart. 🤣

You still have a long way to go to catch up to my rusty, dilapidated, bad paint havin ass. 😉

Yep, now look at you. 200,000 miles on that chassis and things are falling apart. 🤣

You still have a long way to go to catch up to my rusty, dilapidated, bad paint havin ass. 😉
Whew I'm still fighting the fight.....my goal is to slide into the finish line with my hair on fire many more dragons to slay!

Reactions: Mike Casselton
To all: get the ice bucket thingy for pain...well worth the cost.I took a total of one pain pill for my knee (CPM) was when the ice melted; really cool device.

Reactions: 232593
To all: get the ice bucket thingy for pain...well worth the cost.I took a total of one pain pill for my knee (CPM) was when the ice melted; really cool device.
I've still got mine from my rotator cuff surgery. Already got it out and waiting. Interesting little contraption.

Recovery depends on where the tear is and if they decide to repair it or trim and smooth it. Also how big of a tear you got. Got mine cleaned up and was back to work after a couple of days. Minimal pain .

Recovery depends on where the tear is. Also how big of a tear you got. Got mine cleaned up and was back to work after a couple of days. Minimal pain .
Mine tore and a small piece is hanging out. Doc said he would shave it off and clean up any scar tissue. I'm hoping it's an easy and quick recovery.

Going in Friday to clean up a radial tear in my medial meniscus. For those of you who have had this procedure, what was your recovery like? Any stupid shit to avoid?

Thanks
It’s an easy recovery. Had it done twice. Go to therapy. Start moving right away. You’ll be back in no time.

Tore mine a couple years ago, but was just a slight tear per the xrays and MRI, so the Dr. said to let it heal on it's own. Dr. stated they don't do this type of surgery now like in the past as the end results did not justify the costs of surgery now. I wore a knee brace for a couple weeks or so, and watch where I stepped even more so than I normally did/do (Bad ankle).

My knee is more accurate than the weather channel now.

For anyone with knee issues. This guy has a whole system that is scalable to each individual.