• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Knife...Ingram?

Fletcher/AAC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
ATL
Please help!

I have a need (want) for my first custom, I think. I have always used a buck skinner or whatever was around for my hunting needs. I have felt more and more that I want something that can be passed down, and not have to be sharpened after every use. 

I am open to any suggestions, but I have been strongly persuaded to get a Gene Ingram #1 in S30V. I like his style, and have heard many recommendations for his stuff, but it seems like there are many others out there with similar blades like Dozier, Krein, etc.

Is there any other knives that I should be looking at, or any other steels? I feel like such a noob, but it is hard for me to get any real idea about what steel is best, as everything is marketed so heavily that it seems everything is the ultimate steel for the job.

I usually will skin 4-6 deer a year and maybe a hog. Next year I may throw in a bear if I am lucky.

Re: Knife...Ingram?

I have knives by Ingram, Charlie May (great guy!), and Bob Dozier. I honestly can't say that one is better than the other. They are all great knives. Another maker is Dan Crotts who works/worked for Dozier. I hear his knives are top-shelf too.

You can check www.arizonacustomknives.com as they have knives in stock from just about any maker that you can imagine. A.G. Russell also stocks some of Doziers custom knives, and production knives.

They are all great names as mentioned...theres a guy on this board " Juan Valdez " that also makes some very nice custom knives.

I have a couple of Doziers and a couple Menefees, and they are all great knives.
thumbsup2.gif

Checkout Bill Akers Kitts Hill, Ohio. I have a recurve hunter with Damascus blade and Buckeye Burl handle that he made. It is both functional and pleasing to the eye. Definitely worthy of passing down.

I have 2 from Charlie and ordered a set from Ingram that will be here in Jan.

I've never felt the need nor want to look any further than either of these 2 gentleman. They are both first class!

I butchered two deer this fall with my Ingram skinner, and it's still sharp enough to shave with. I found it on the Fort Henry Custom Knives site for a fair price.

Charlie and Gene are very similar.

I've used Charlies Bird and trout to field dress and skin 4 deer without being touched up. I still doubt I will before next season.

You'll like it! I have 2 (a skinner and a #7 DP) and a 3rd on order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct, 14 month wait.</div></div>

I bet it is more like 24 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct, 14 month wait.</div></div>

I bet it is more like 24 months.</div></div>

Hope not, but hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Have the top skinner coming in S30V:

f8d2fcd4.jpg

And this in S30V as a 'pocket' set:

6698f1e9.jpg