• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Knife Sharpener

Re: Knife Sharpener

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the lanskey, and it leaves a lot to be desired.

One day I'll cut an angled block of wood, and use stones on that. it seems like it would be easier to maintain an angle, when the board makes the angle and you've just got to keep the knife even with the table. Then, you can use all stone and still finish with leather and rouge.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Anyone ever used a paper wheel?</span></div></div>

Like a lapping wheel? They make super smooth edges, ...that you can shave with once and then have to do it again. </div></div>

I guess like a lapping wheel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsT9Po_j4Rk
http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/paper.htm

If you put a 20+* degree edge, it oughta do just fine, don't you think? There's always a guy at the gun shows in houston who sharpens knives using a set-up similar to this. It is my understanding that it's the fastest way to get the sharpest edge.

I'd prefer a 30 degree edge.

I'm thinking that looks more like a buffing wheel. The wheel itself is soft with strands saturated/impregnated with a polishing compound. But, for all intents and purposes they work just like a lapping wheel.
The lapping wheel I was thinking of has 1/4"x1/4" pieces of cloth coated with a really fine grit (made to polish, not remove) The paper 'flops' onto or 'slaps' the steel. It works like a strop, just at high speed.

Buy a good stone and learn to use it. You don't need any of the fancy stuff. Spyderco double stuff or a good diamond stone.

Go to big 5 get a cheap ass coarse stone. Buy an arkansas stone that is coarse on one side, medium on the other, along with a very fine arkansas stone, and a leather strop. Learn to do it freehand. Other than the big 5 stone, all that will last you a lifetime and you will know how to do it freehand. I just hold my stone in my left hand, knife in my right and go to town. You dont need benches, glue, tables or gimicks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has any body gotten to play w/ one of these?:
http://www.worksharptools.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=90
</div></div>
A couple of us at work bought the Worksharp. Co-worker says it is a dandy of a sharpener. I have not used mine yet. I usually sharpen my knives on a Spyderco Sharpmaker, I will get around to using the WS.

DMT all the way. Folders and Magna-guide, or if you want to go even smaller, they make credit card sized diamond plates too. Put a couple of these of different grits in your pocket or pack and your good to go.

The bottom of a ceramic mug or bowl works well in a pinch too - the unglazed ring on the bottom.