• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knights Armament 6.5 creedmoor

Mj30wilson900

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Missouri
    Any rhyme or reason to what muzzle devices knights choose to put on their uppers? Does it depend on caliber? I have seen 6.5 uppers with a rare 2 chamber brake suppressor ready device and I have seen their typical 3 prong.

At the KAC factory there is a wheel. It looks very similar to the one on “Wheel of Fortune” but instead of dollars and prizes, it has the various muzzle devices. Each morning, the shop foreman spins the wheel and whatever muzzle device it lands on is what gets put onto all rifles produced that day.

Per their rep on an industry forum, they said that the new 2-chamber is meant to improve consistency and accuracy in their large-frame rifles. Evidently their MAMS device would sometimes cause fliers, but in ways really hard to reliably identify or replicate. So instead of spending a ton of time and money diagnosing and fixing it, they just designed the new brake.

Per their rep on an industry forum, they said that the new 2-chamber is meant to improve consistency and accuracy in their large-frame rifles. Evidently their MAMS device would sometimes cause fliers, but in ways really hard to reliably identify or replicate. So instead of spending a ton of time and money diagnosing and fixing it, they just designed the new brake.

This.

one of the reasons that KAC carries a premium time is engineering time that goes into each refinement. two port breaks while not anything game changing are something new to Mil type guns and that specific brake needs to be intergrated into their silencer line up as well to ensure that poi is consistent.

The military had significant numbers of rifles with two port suppressor mounts 15 years ago.

The military had significant numbers of rifles with two port suppressor mounts 15 years ago.

The 777 has a two port break as well. Just because something exist on a different platform does not mean the integration will be seamless

So did a number of precision rifles. The two port brake on small arms is not a mystery or a novelty for the military.

The KAC two port is something they would have to test of course.

This.

one of the reasons that KAC carries a premium time is engineering time that goes into each refinement. two port breaks while not anything game changing are something new to Mil type guns and that specific brake needs to be intergrated into their silencer line up as well to ensure that poi is consistent.
    Specifically with the 7.62 QDC/PRS suppressor.

So did a number of precision rifles. The two port brake on small arms is not a mystery or a novelty for the military.

The KAC two port is something they would have to test of course.

Everything is a mystery and possibly a novelty to the military at this time.

Point in case, The Army's last Camo pattern

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
    The two chamber has to be way easier to manufacturer and faster due to lack of weld and the small drills used to make the mams. But you nailed what I was looking for in explanation of why.

I wonder what the performance differences are between the mams and this new device? When is the new one being released on the commercial market?

Yeah, I was more curious what the new model vs old mams comparison was as far as sound for the shooter, recoil reduction, etc. I guess we will find out once these get in the hands of people to compare.

So the MAMS was the TITTIES when it came to recoil reduction BUT the motherfucker sprayed bullets. Couldn't be rectified and I guess KAC never figured it out. I guess I'm lucky I didn't push 'em on that brake! The flash hider QDC mount, the cage style, works fine.

Don't they make 6.5 specific stuff now?

So the MAMS was the TITTIES when it came to recoil reduction BUT the motherfucker sprayed bullets. Couldn't be rectified and I guess KAC never figured it out. I guess I'm lucky I didn't push 'em on that brake! The flash hider QDC mount, the cage style, works fine.

Don't they make 6.5 specific stuff now?
    I would assume if they get more contracts for that caliber they will expand the line. I would assume the 6.5 suppressor will be next. In about 5 years if the 6mm ARC continues to impress that could be the next sr-15 caliber.
    Sign me up for a dimple heavy sr-15 in 6mm ARC

Yeah, I read the same post on the kac section of ar15.com. Jack Leuba actually advised someone against converting a sr15 in 556 to the 6mm arc. He said kac had done plenty of testing and it was too high pressure for decent parts life, or something similar to that.

Yeah, well, Sig apparently shoehorned a 6.8mm in a 7.62 size case into an MCX platform. Someone on here worked out an estimate of what the chamber pressure would have to be in order to achieve the army's desires and it turned out to be in excess of 100,000 PSI!!! The rifle looks like a plain MCX but with a larger magazine. A civilian version would be something like an AR15 but with an AR10 lower I guess. OR a 6.5CM AR15. Yeah, I know, I get it.

6.5G is fine in an AR but probably not for the kind of reliability that KAC is known for.

I feel fine with the ones I assembled, reliable tack drivers. But if I bought one from KAC, I'd expect that under the worst conditions right up to the very last round fired before the barrel is toast, and even then I'd expect it to keep functioning, albeit not as optimal. KAC has done a lot to improve the bolts on both AR platforms and I trust 'em, so if they don't offer it then that's a good thing.

FWIW, Jack does like the round and thinks it's interesting, just won't gain traction due to the military's direction and it doesn't fit KAC's mission statement or whatever.

As for 6.5CM, I missed that boat but I'm optimistic we'll reap some of the benefits from the new generation rifle, provided Sig gets selected (because Textron and General Dynamics don't really cater to civilians, like at all). And maybe we'll finally find out why the army is so damn fascinated with 6.8mm geometry along the way (it's posited that it's the smallest dia. they can shove a tungsten penetrator in that'll still defeat Lvl 4 armor at ~3000fps but who knows for sure).

With apologies for reviving a somewhat old thread, I would be grateful to learn if anyone knows if the KAC two port brake is available with a 5/8x24 thread pitch. (I want to mount a KAC qdc suppressor on an LMT with that threading....). The MAMS qdc brake was/is available in both 3/4 and 5/8 of course but I can’t actually find the two port brakes (in any thread pitch) anywhere (other than on the 6.5 KAC upper a fellow hide member sold me!) and figured I would try the latest technology if I could....