• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knight's Armament SR25 vs LMT 308

I have handled the LMT rifle and it was nice, it was the UK issue rifle and I almost got it at one point. Not a fan of gas pistons in these rifles, short stroke or not, but if I was to select a precision one with a piston I'd probably consider the Mk20 over the LMT but I'd do some homework on optics, I understand they're hell on 'em.

There is no and there never had been a commercially available 7.62x51 piston driven solution to the MWS. It seems as if you’re making a comparison with a complete misunderstanding of half of the systems in question.

Reactions: Voyager1
Simply OUTSTANDING! Of all the cans on the market, I WISH I WOULD NOT HAVE LISTENED TO ALL THE NAYSAYERS and simply purchased only KAC Suppressors....IMO, they are the absolute best cans on the market. The QDC CQB and and the QDC in both 5.56 and 7.62 are absolutely fantastic quality.

Simply OUTSTANDING! Of all the cans on the market, I WISH I WOULD NOT HAVE LISTENED TO ALL THE NAYSAYERS and simply purchased only KAC Suppressors....IMO, they are the absolute best cans on the market. The QDC CQB and and the QDC in both 5.56 and 7.62 are absolutely fantastic quality.

There is no and there never had been a commercially available 7.62x51 piston driven solution to the MWS. It seems as if you’re making a comparison with a complete misunderstanding of half of the systems in question.
yeah, I wasn't sure what system he's thinking of either

so now we've gone from a rifle to a non existent rifle with a piston system and a full blown discussion on cans. lol Thank God for Christmas:)

This thing is absolutely sick
yeah, I wasn't sure what system he's thinking of either

so now we've gone from a rifle to a non existent rifle with a piston system and a full blown discussion on cans. lol Thank God for Christmas:)
I apologize for that deviation, it had been mentioned so I thought I would include my experiences.

This thing is absolutely sick

I apologize for that deviation, it had been mentioned so I thought I would include my experiences.
no worries at all! I apologize you took it poorly as I meant it all in jest. we are all good here and I'm enjoying this thread. I can't speak to cans because my state sucks. I would love to use one however!

I have owned few SR-25's and one LMT MWS. I have also owned the Scar 17. Like others have said, the LMT is just as well built and reliable as the KAC but it weighs more and is over gassed, I found it to be just as accurate as the SR-25. The Scar was always more fun to look at and hold than it ever was to shoot. If you're on a budget then the LMT wins hands down but if you can swing the KAC then that's the route I would suggest going. The 6.5Creed SR-25 is going to be a sweet stick and it looks like they will have it in the 14.5" flavor as well.

Last edited:
I have owned few SR-25's and one LMT MWS. I have also owned the Scar 17. Like others have said, the LMT is just as well built and reliable as the KAC but it weighs more and is over gassed, I found it to be just as accurate as the SR-25. The Scar was always more fun to look at and hold than it ever was to shoot. If you're on a budget then the LMT wins hands down but if you can swing the KAC then that's the route I would suggest going. The 6.5Creed SR-25 is going to be a sweet stick and it looks like they will have it in the 14.5" flavor as well.
Over gassed? I haven’t experienced that in the LMT MWS F 308 but i guess it’s possible. Typically when I think of a rifle that is “Over gassed”, I primarily think of piston operated rifles. My Arsenal SLR’s are over gassed....my LMT I wouldn’t say is overgassed. My SCAR 17’s sure throw brass a long way lol. Are they over gassed? Maybe...I agree that the Scar 17 has more recoil impulse than others. However the SCAR 16 ESPECIALLY THE SBR is just PURE AWESOMENESS ESPECIALLY SUPPRESSED...having said that my experience has been that the KA ECR is the king of accuracy. Second place is the HK mr762a1

Attachments

• 6F0AFBBF-0125-40EC-8667-A5DD947AEAEB.jpeg
    6F0AFBBF-0125-40EC-8667-A5DD947AEAEB.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 159
Over gassed? I haven’t experienced that in the LMT MWS F 308 but i guess it’s possible. Typically when I think of a rifle that is “Over gassed”, I primarily think of piston operated rifles. My Arsenal SLR’s are over gassed....my LMT I wouldn’t say is overgassed. My SCAR 17’s sure throw brass a long way lol. Are they over gassed? Maybe...I agree that the Scar 17 has more recoil impulse than others. However the SCAR 16 ESPECIALLY THE SBR is just PURE AWESOMENESS ESPECIALLY SUPPRESSED...having said that my experience has been that the KA ECR is the king of accuracy. Second place is the HK mr762a1

Shoot an older MWS suppressed and it's blatantly obvious that it's over gassed, there are multiple threads about this over the years. It's not a huge deal, most don't shoot suppressed as it is.

I Shoot an MWS suppressed all
and it's blatantly obvious that it's over gassed, there are multiple threads about this over years. It's not a huge deal, most don't shoot suppressed as it is.
Ok well maybe that’s some people’s experiences. Mine has been gassed to perfection both suppressed and unsuppressed. Always and never don’t exist in my vocabulary except for death, and taxes. Nothing overgassed here!
36139D9F-B1F5-419F-BA9E-3745AACA06D9.jpeg

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Shoot an older MWS suppressed and it's blatantly obvious that it's over gassed, there are multiple threads about this over the years. It's not a huge deal, most don't shoot suppressed as it is.

I can directly affirm this as my MWS refused to shoot consistently or precisely with a can on. Tried three different suppressors, none worked...I mention this whenever these types of threads appear so folks don’t make the mistake I did buying a platform that wasn’t suppressor friendly. That said, if I still had mine, I’d stick my 762 QDC on it to see if they would get along...

Reactions: tex68w
I can directly affirm this as my MWS refused to shoot consistently or precisely with a can on. Tried three different suppressors, none worked...I mention this whenever these types of threads appear so folks don’t make the mistake I did buying a platform that wasn’t suppressor friendly. That said, if I still had mine, I’d stick my 762 QDC on it to see if they would get along...
That’s too bad. You should have called Gene at LMT. He would have either done what he could or had you send it in and had them fix it

my 2 shoot reliably but haven't tried suppressor as stated. Definitely not overgassed with normal operation nor any I've seen but yeah, they throw brass like an AK but in a nice tight pattern where brass is supposed to go.

If I were going suppressed, I'd change the gas block if gas was a concern.

I will say that the downside with the LMT is weight. However I think for most people it’s overblown because they won’t be forced to march with it for 35 miles. Smooth recoil impulse (not harsh like the scar, and super fun shoot). I still prefer the SR 25 for accuracy. What I don’t like about knights is everything is proprietary which is a pain when something goes bad like a gas key or a worn gas tube...YMMV

@Voyager1 It’s All good...I briefly contemplated several solutions ranging from modifying the gas port itself (invasive on those) to having a barrel with smaller gas port by several vendors but deemed it not worth it as I was already committed to buying an SR25 at the time. Always wanted one and the LMT’s weight was also a concern (when I do back country camping out here I used to stuff the MWS in my Eberlestock.

A couple years back, I sold the LMT and grabbed an EMR from the PX. Other than the weight and suppression issues, I have nothing bad to say about LMT’s. If I had to buy a another, non-KAC for whatever reason, it would be a MWS slickside LM8. A little bit lighter and over gassing isn’t an issue with those.

Last edited:
@Voyager1 It’s All good...At the time, I briefly contemplated several solutions ranging from modifying the gas port itself (invasive on those) to having a barrel with smaller gas port by several vendors but deemed it not worth it as I was already committed to buying an SR25 at the time. Always wanted one and the LMT’s weight was also a concern (when I do back country camping out here I used to stuff the MWS in my Eberlestock.

A couple years back, I sold the LMT and grabbed an EMR from the PX. Other than the weight and suppression issues, I have nothing bad to say about LMT’s. If I had to buy a another, non-KAC for whatever reason, it would be a MWS slickside LM8. A little bit lighter and over gassing isn’t an issue with those.
Well you picked a fantastic rifle to replace another fantastic rifle...Everybody wins when you go LMT OR KA SR25! ????????

Reactions: nn8734
interesting that the kac website has the sr25 listed as heavier than the lmt mws when comparing match rifle per match rifle and the cl 16" variants are almost the same weight. I think the internet lore has kind of taken hold here a bit. LMT definitely feels more stout but interesting to see the actual numbers

I imagine the newest MLOK versions of both 16" rifles are within a few ounces of one another, but 8-10 years ago the MWS was definitely the heavier stick. Like I said earlier, aside from the weight and being over gassed when suppressed, it's a fantastic rifle that is every bit as accurate (in my experience), built to equal standards of the KAC, looks great, eats everything, and is nearly half the price of a SR-25. I am in no way hating on the LMT, I would be proud to have one in my safe and I still have a few of the 5.56 rifles as well. All of that said, I am still a fan of the SR-25 over everything else.

Attachments

• RoCh5yK.jpg
    RoCh5yK.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • qP47XZY.jpg
    qP47XZY.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
Reactions: nn8734
Digging that M110K1! Want one in 6.5 CMoor...time to raid the couch cushions!

Reactions: tex68w
Fwiw the m-lock mws upper shaves 4oz from the picatinny version.

Eta: I want to say the lightweight 16" barrel takes another 8oz off from the original contour.

yes, less than 8oz across the board and it goes both ways. I personally prefer the picatinny railed model vs the mlok but that is just preference. Also, with the larger frame ARs, I want a little more beef for felt recoil and follow up shooting. On m4carbine.net they've got almost 300 pages on the lmt and reading through, the early gen 1 variant seemed to have issues with cans but this does not seem to be the case today with pages of guys discussing which can and function etc etc. If the can issue still haunted lmt, then you'd have to give the sr25 the nod.

I plan on shooting with my buddy this weekend and will take pics of the 3 rifles and follow up with more but as I said earlier, I don't think you can choose poorly with either here as they are both the apex predators in this genre. Reports from the field are nothing less than stellar and that is what matters.

One thing however, kac started using sandcutter carriers but lmt has not and I wonder why kac felt the need to. In reading various boards, the lmt had no issues with the fine sand etc and cannot recall reading if the kac did so I'm wondering why they felt the need to do this?

I have two MWS's (16" CL) and they're both overgassed. Terribly? Not really but it is evident. They fling brass like a mofo.

They are both still absolutely reliable both with and without the surefire sps300.

Can’t remember the last time I climbed a 30 degree incline with a 90 lbs pack.
I guess theoretically if you are hunting elk or moose out west, but in that case neither would be a good option.

Always find it funny when people complain about weight when they lift their guns to and back from the range. Just get a range bag with wheels.

When you have 90lbs+ on your back plus armor, webgear, ammo,ect climbing up a 30* incline at 8000asl, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal weight. Weight that would be better spent packing more ammo, pyro or batteries.

For a gun that lives on a bench it doesn't matter. For something you have to hump, it does.

Personally I would rather have a SCAR17 over both of them. Will shoot moa with 118lr, way lighter, more reliable then both, foldable for working around vic and ac and plenty of real estate for clipons, peq,ect. If you need something to reach out further then a 17, bring the 300's or 338's.

Can’t remember the last time I climbed a 30 degree incline with a 90 lbs pack.
I guess theoretically if you are hunting elk or moose out west, but in that case neither would be a good option.

Always find it funny when people complain about weight when they lift their guns to and back from the range. Just get a range bag with wheels.

Primus’ scenario is more common here out west when hiking/camping/hunting in the back country. Lots of incline and elevation gain so weight is much more of a consideration. I know my SR25 feels distinctly lighter than my LMT did when hiking with it into camp locations in the mountains.

If the gun is just a range gun, agree weight isn’t a consideration.

I have an SR25 ACC, as go along with my MWS and Scar 17.

They are all great weapons, and I think they each have there strengths and weaknesses.

more specifically I feel that the ACC is the most refined, over engineered, combat gas gun on the market, and while it is expensive I do feel that it was worth as it. they handle and shoot incredibly nice. I would say the main draw back to the SR25 is that it really is incredibly expensive. Is it worth 2x the cost of a base MWS, I don't believe so.

In regards to the MWS, its an awesome system. while not as refined as the SR25 in terms of handling(weight) and recoil impulse. it does have the ability to drop in a 6.5CM barrel and be more effective at longer ranges. for about the same price as base SR25, one could have an MWS,(2200) with short and long range barrels(600), and possibly a decent scope.

If i was plinking/shooting steel, taking a class, or maybe doing a 2 gun compition, I would most likely grab my SR25

if i was going to shoot for groups, or at longer ranges, the LMT with 6.5 barrel is just a better performer than the 308 SR25.

I enjoy both weapons for more than my scar

As much as I want one, I think its going to be a while before they hit the market considering the recent contract MOD for the M110K1. I am guessing i will probably be able to shoot out my LMT's 6.5 barrel about before we see a 6.5CM SR25 availible

As much as I want one, I think I'd still prefer to shoot 6.5Creed in a bolt gun. I might be convinced to change that point of view if/when the shorty variant hits the streets.

The LMT 5.56 guns do not disappoint.

I pick LMT over KAC just for the fact that the rifles do not have to go back to the factory for replacing barrels and spare BCG availability. Need a new barrel for your LMT? $345 -$700 delivered, 3 min with your torque wrench and you’re back in business. In my experience, LMT barrels will shoot with the LW barreled Larue’s and the Obermeyer & Kreiger barreled KAC’s.
Which sr25s are obermeyer and kreiger? I know the sr15 lpr rifles are kreiger but never heard of Kac using obermeyer.

Which sr25s are obermeyer and kreiger? I know the sr15 lpr rifles are kreiger but never heard of Kac using obermeyer.
Does anyone know of a company besides LMT that manufactures barrels for their System? I haven’t been able to purchase any LMT 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for a long time.

Does anyone know of a company besides LMT that manufactures barrels for their System? I haven’t been able to purchase any LMT 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for a long time.
D Wilson converts the small frame barrels; inquire if he does or is interested in the large frame conversion too?

Reactions: Tono and Voyager1
D Wilson converts the small frame barrels; inquire if he does or is interested in the large frame conversion too?
Thank you. If anyone else has information I would be graciously appreciative.
thank you sir!

http://www.riversbendguncompany.com/

He can take your LMT MWS barrel, most importantly the extension and build you a custom barrel. I spoke to him about it via email and he gave me all the details. He said after the blank, chambering, profiling, threading and cerakote I would be around $1000. Don't quote me on that, I plan to give him my business when funds allow. I have heard rumors he used to work for GAP? Maybe someone in the know can answer that.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900