• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Knoxville, TN (Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Assc.)

Redmanss

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Northeast Wyoming
Looking for anyone who has info on this range. This looks like an absolutely magnificent range complex, but I wanted to hear from someone who shoots there regularly.

My primary interest is for shooting mid range (100-600) for now with 1000yd shooting next year after I get a better rifle. I would also be interested in the service rifle competitions they hold, but to a lesser degree.

I'm interested in membership, but with all the sponsorship requirements and such, and me being a transplant into the area, I don't know anyone who belongs to this place. I'm only in TN for 2 1/2 months out of the year, so my time is a premium while I'm home. I see there is a process for joining without sponsorship, but does this happen in reality? I just want to know before I throw down the membership fee in advance.

Any info and advice is much appreciated.

Re: Knoxville, TN (Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Assc.)

Great place to shoot. I am not a member but have shot there many times. Contact "Victor in TN". He is a mod here and can probably fill you in on the specifics. If I remember right, the yearly dues are very reasonable.

I hope this helps ya.

Eddie

Thanks for the help. I sent a PM to Victor, so hopefully he can provide some input too.

It looks like an incredible range complex according to it's website, but since I'm overseas right now for the next 3 months I can't just go visit it myself. I'm already a member of Gatlinberg Sportsmen's Club and it's a very nice place to shoot at too, but their farthest range is 200yds. That and being as I'm from west Knox, I could be at ORSA in 20 min vs. 1 hour to Gatlinberg. Less gas = more ammo!

Great place to shoot have shot many times they are having TN. state championship sep.11&12 th.

Wish I could make it. Hopefully next shooting season I can make a couple competitions. Thanks for the info.

I'll probably go ahead and get the application processing now as it takes 2 months to get in if you don't have a sponsor, and I'd really like to get some range time there when I'm home in Dec.

Dan,

I'll do my best to help answer your questions.

How are the targets run on the 1000yd range?
Unless there is a match or organized group practice going on there is usually 1 target & backer on the stands. There are 3 or 4 others in the shed behind the pits.

Are they a pits style targets or can I set up steel and other static targets around on the range to shoot?
All shots HAVE to impact into the impact berm. They ask to only use the target frames as such.

If I show up there and other shooters are using the 1000yd line, am I stuck with shooting from that distance? Yes. The closest range being shot is the line being used. Since all high power ranges are aligned to the same impact berm, this must be the case.

There is also what they call a benchrest range. It has 4 wooden benches and 4 concrete benches. It has target frames at 50 yards, 100 yards and 200 yards. It's mostly used by old farts like myself to practice, work up loads and site in rifles. Here again, all projectiles must impact in the impact berm.

The thing to remember about ORSA. It's completely been enveloped by the city of Oak Ridge. There are housing developments on all sides. If there are any infractions on the safety side, the club could be shut down.

Not knowing you I can't sponser you. They want you to know the applicant at least a year before making a reccomendation. They'll run a back ground & credit check on you and in a couple of months they'll send you a letter of when to attend your new member training class. At that time you'll receive your badge in card and more in depth safety class.

If you send in your membership application now, please write a letter and explain your situation. I'm sure they'll try to make exceptions for your overseas service. If you are military, mention that.

I hope I answered your questions satisfactorily.

Where in TN do you normally live?

I'm a BAD grand parent. I offered our grandkids MONEY to make better grades and do better in sports. Our daughter and her boyfriend think I'm trying to be judgemental (?).