• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kowa 600 Series Prominar or Pentax PF80 ED?

shootist~

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
NM
I'm looking for opinions on the 600 series Kowa Prominar spotting scopes. I've seen a little - but very little discussion on this line. I know the name is good.

I badly need to update what I have so I can see paint splatter to at least 700 Meters on steel with .223/5.56 and .308 - mostly from the bench. My rifles are geared more for longer range 3-Gun, but I like to shoot at longer distances for fun. Eyes are getting old and I need all the help I can get (within reason).

My budget is about $1k and I want the most bang for my buck (duh) - I'm unable to look through anything of quality locally. I was about to go with a Konus, but I've never regretted going with better quality over price.

Also looking at the Vortex Viper HD, so comments on this option as well as others are welcome.

Re: Kowa 600 Series Prominar Spotter?

Call Scott @ Liberty Optics. He handles both Kowa and Vortex. He'll give you the straight scoop and probably the best prices you'll find.

Ask Scott about the Vortex Razor too. It will come in over your 1K budget, but you might be surprised of the price Scott gives you. I have the Razor and love it. For the money, it runs mightly close to the big dogs costing twice as much or more.

Also note - if I'm not mistaken that the Vortex's come with the eye piece, some or all of the Kowa require buying the body and eye piece seperately. Don't know if you considered this.

I would love to have a mil reticle like in the higher dollar Razor or Leupold Tactical, but it's not something that fits my requirements. My need is for a very good quality general purpose spotter that will allow me to see paint splashes on steel at 700 - 800 yds - from a mousegun
smile.gif
and .224/.308" bullet holes at 200-300.

The Leupold Golden Ring HD Spotting Scope 12-40x 60mm "Kit" (with tripod and case) falls close to my "dollar" range since I get dealer pricing from a few vendors - plus I also need a hard case and a tripod. Can anyone compare it to the Kowa 604 Prominar? i.e, will I regret not going with 60x on the high end, (the Golden Ring HD is 12-40x)?

The Vortex Razor spotter doesn't come with the ranging eye piece. The ranging eye piece is a fixed power and you have to buy that separately.

Seriously, if you can't look through the scopes you are interested in, give Scott a call @ Liberty Optics. He will take the time to explain all the pros and cons of what you are looking at and will get you into a great scope that fits within your budget.

As for the hard case, that's a personal preference. A good Pelican case may eat into your budget. Depending on your uses, a good soft cover should be plenty, as long as you aren't throwing your scope around. At first, I was convinced that I needed a hard case for a expensive scope, however just using the soft case/cover that came with the Razor has proved to be more than enough.

I only recommended the Razor since I do use one, and if you look around you should be able to get into one for little over your $1000 budget if you look around and are lucky.

Also, don't overlook the need for good tripod legs and the head of your choice. A very good Manfrotto tripod and head will run you around $300 or so. If you research the various models, you'll find ones that work great at the bench and can get low to the ground if your needs dictate this requirement.

Personally, I'd look at scopes with more than 40x on the top end for the money you want to spend and the distances you want to see.

You should be able to get into a Kowa or a Viper HD within your budget. See here - http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html

Call or e-mail Scott, let him know you are a "hide" member and he'll do you right.

MP15,

Thanks for your input. I just put in a call to Scott at Liberty and will definitely get his input before I make a decision. This is really tough when you can't try before you buy.

Joe

No doubt not being able to try before you buy sucks....... However, if anyone will give you the straight, no BS scoop, Scott will and he will treat you right and get you into what you really need and not just what he wants to sell you. You'll be in good hands. Scott and Liberty Optics is held in very high regard around here. In all my dealings with Liberty, it's been top notch customer service and great products at great prices.

Let us know what you finally go with. Good luck.

If you really want to price compare, don't be afraid to contact Doug or Neil at Cameraland NY also. They just might have some like new demo models that could save you a few bucks too. Have had great dealings with them also.

Re: Kowa 600 Series Prominar Spotter or Leupold GR?

go to sgt. owens website...... good prices on kowa and konus....
bill larson

Pentax PF-80 ED

The Title of this thread has been edited to put Pentax into the mix for best in my price range.

After researching here and across the www over the last couple of days I found some very favorable posts (here) and some formal online reviews(6mmBR.com & a birding site) on the Pentax PF-80 ED:

http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html
http://betterviewdesired.com/Pentax-80mm-Ed-Spotting-Scope.php

For something in the $1k range this sure "appears" to be the best value on the planet - especially with the upgraded SMC 20-60 eyepiece and considering it has high def glass. SportOptics - who I've had favorable dealings with on optics carries the Pentax Spotting Scope line.

Am I missing something?

Re: Pentax PF-80 ED

I love my Pentax PF-80ED with 20-60, it's a straight body version. The glass is very clear and I can see a small hit from a .223 at 500 yards very well. I'm glad I bought this spotting scope and spend money I've save for a good Manfrotto tripod.

Re: Pentax PF-80 ED

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1MoreAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I love my Pentax PF-80ED with 20-60, it's a straight body version. The glass is very clear and I can see a small hit from a .223 at 500 yards very well. I'm glad I bought this spotting scope and spend money I've save for a good Manfrotto tripod. </div></div>

That was the nail...(among a few others) - I'll let you know if I agree in a few days. A PF-80ED /w SMC 20-60 eyepiece is on the way from SportOptics.

Re: Kowa 600 Series Prominar or Pentax PF80 ED?

I have a kowa 663 prominar scope. They will hold there own with anything in their price range & above. Try one, you will be impressed.
in-range

I was unable to check out the Kowa Prominar - wish I could have. The Pentax came in for a little < $1k delivered, which was a help since I put $300+ into a tripod and head.

I made it to the range yesterday with the Pentax PF80-ED, Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and 322RC2 head. Beautiful day and I was there for > 5 hours. No complaints so far, although I'll mention I cannot get a full field view with my shooting glasses on. It gave me (with glasses on) about the same field of view as a Kowa 661 another shooter showed up with.

I was able to see .223 paint-splash hits on white painted steel at 600 meters, which was the longest distance I shot. Spotting for another shooter later in the day, with some mirage, I could just make out .223 hits at 500 meters on black painted steel.

How do you like the manfrotto set up? Looking at the 190 with the same head. Is anything in the way when shooting prone?
in-range

Love it, but others could answer you better on the prone setup - it should work well. You can find some pics with a prone setup - one is in a Leupold Spotter thread. I shot from the bench Monday with the bipod set up to the left of my table, legs spread out some for stability and the center column horizontal; spotter over the table. Pretty much the same position as a table mounted setup would be. It handled the heavy Pentax 80mm very well.