• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kowa 883 Opinions?

eazy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I'm looking for a nice spotting scope for long range shooting (not hunting, weight/size doesn't matter). I've been using a $100 Bushnell for 10 years and I'd like to replace it with something quality.

I was looking at the Kowa TSN-883 after watching this comparison video:

I see they're going for $2500 now with the 25-60x wide angle lens at Liberty Optics. Is this the best spotter at that price point?

Reactions: simonp
They have top tier glass. I haven’t had a chance to do a side by side with a Swarovski but I have looked through them. I have always liked the Kowa optics and one thing if you do not have a heavy duty tripod and good ball head you need one. A standard off the shelf Walmart $30 tripod ain’t gonna cut it.

Only thing I do not like is the eye relief and cup. They are not bad but could be better. That said I eventually will grab a smaller objective Swarovski just for portability but if you can catch the Kowa on sale it’s definitely a good value for the money.

Cameraland call Doug, go with Liberty, BH photo, Creedmoor Sports they all usually have a sale about same time. Sometimes one beats the other with no tax or free shipping plus the sale price on both scope and eye piece. Doug usually hooks me up with good deals.

Reactions: eazy and simonp
@99106 Thank you for the feedback. Did you find the eye relief too short or too long? I wear glasses usually so longer is better for me.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Kowa 883 with 2 eyepieces (TE-20H 25X LER, and TE-11WZ 25-60X) and the neoprene cover from CameralandNY.

I selected the Kowa for several reasons.
1- I have a 82SV with a couple eyepieces for several years and it has been flawless.
2- Kowa has an LER eyepiece (TE-20H) 25X for folks like me who wear glasses and for spotting from position (prone F-Class.)
3- Kowa has a couple other great eyepieces like the TE-11WZ 25-60X Wide Zoom and TE-80XWide 35X for general spotting or digiscoping.
4- Kowa has a full assortment of adapters for digiscoping. I like to attach my D7500 to spotting scopes and record stuff.
5- Kowa has 1.6X extenders and astro adapters.

Most important for me:

6- The 88x and the new 99x Prominar have pure fluorite crystal lenses, which I believe to be unique in the industry. No CA.

I hesitated between the 99A and the 883 and ultimately decided on the 883 because of size and weight. I am using the spotting scope from position in F-Class competition and I felt the 99A would be too big and heavy. I already had issues with the 82SV's length, didn't want longer and heavier.

I have just started using it and I am extremely pleased with the optical performance and the whole package. I absolutely love the dual focus controls; they work extremely well from position and the fine tuning is great.

I like the neoprene case for the extra padding, just in case (pun not intended, but it is punny.)

I have several tripods, some heavy aluminum ones, and other lighter carbon fiber one and they work well with the 883. In position, I have been using something radically different and while I'm still getting used to it, it has a lot of promise.

Reactions: eazy and simonp
I recently bought a Kowa 883 with 2 eyepieces (TE-20H 25X LER, and TE-11WZ 25-60X) and the neoprene cover from CameralandNY.

I selected the Kowa for several reasons.
1- I have a 82SV with a couple eyepieces for several years and it has been flawless.
2- Kowa has an LER eyepiece (TE-20H) 25X for folks like me who wear glasses and for spotting from position (prone F-Class.)
3- Kowa has a couple other great eyepieces like the TE-11WZ 25-60X Wide Zoom and TE-80XWide 35X for general spotting or digiscoping.
4- Kowa has a full assortment of adapters for digiscoping. I like to attach my D7500 to spotting scopes and record stuff.
5- Kowa has 1.6X extenders and astro adapters.

Most important for me:

6- The 88x and the new 99x Prominar have pure fluorite crystal lenses, which I believe to be unique in the industry. No CA.

I hesitated between the 99A and the 883 and ultimately decided on the 883 because of size and weight. I am using the spotting scope from position in F-Class competition and I felt the 99A would be too big and heavy. I already had issues with the 82SV's length, didn't want longer and heavier.

I have just started using it and I am extremely pleased with the optical performance and the whole package. I absolutely love the dual focus controls; they work extremely well from position and the fine tuning is great.

I like the neoprene case for the extra padding, just in case (pun not intended, but it is punny.)

I have several tripods, some heavy aluminum ones, and other lighter carbon fiber one and they work well with the 883. In position, I have been using something radically different and while I'm still getting used to it, it has a lot of promise.
Thank you for the feedback! Do you feel the 25-60x eyepiece is usable with eyeglasses when sitting or standing?

That is nice that they offer the long eye relief 25x eyepiece.

I'll just put this out there; if you're buying a spotting scope based on eye relief, you're doing it wrong. Spotting scopes are not riflescopes. The goal of a spotting scope is to present you with the widest, most perfect image, and for that the designers don't factor in eye relief.

That said, Kowa does provide long eye relief eyepieces, designed specifically for those rare cases where eye relief is needed for a spotting scope. Glasses are not a special case, just remove them and enjoy the perfect view to the fullest extent.

A rare case is using a spotting scope from position and Kowa is either unique or one if the few vendors who offer such an eyepiece. Guess what you give up for the LER? FOV.

Vendors do use little bumpers or guards to make sure your eyeglasses don't mess up their eyepieces. I just remove my eyeglasses when looking through a non-LER spotting scope eyepiece.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie