• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kowa TSN-4 & TS-612 Experience/ Opinions

Amazingrandy1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
Massachusetts
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking to possibly buy a Kowa TSN-4 or TS-612 as a F-Class spotter. Here in New England there is primarily mid range F-Class 3-600 yard, but have the occasional 800-1000 yard match as well. I'm not looking to be able to see bullet holes in an F-Class target at 600 yards, but am wondering if either of these Kowas would be good to see shot score and mirage. Just wondering if anyone has experience using either of these optics. Thanks!

I have owned Kowa‘s TSN 1, TSN 2, and TSN 4 for over 30 years. Both the TSN 1 and TSN 3 are angled eyepiece designs typically used for Competition Shooting, while the TSN 2 and TSN 4 are both the more conventional “straight body“ design. The TSN 1 and TSN 2 have high quality lenses that deliver excellent resolution with low color aberration edge to edge and high light transmission, while the TSN 3 and TSN 4 are fitted with what KOWA called their “Prominar“ series lenses which the Company marketed as having enhanced lens Coatings to improve resolution and light transmission. I have used these spotting scopes for both competitive shooting and general range use, as well as in the field hunting, under a variety of conditions. I have found them to be robust and reliable given reasonable care and proper lens cleaning techniques and maintenance. For competitive shooting and general range use, I have primarily used a KOWA 25x LER (Long Eye Relief) eyepiece with these Scopes and have had no issues resolving .30 cal bullet holes out to 300 yards and beyond, except under the most extreme mirage conditions. While I have had similar experiences resolving .223/5.56 bullet holes to the same distance, the scopes ability seemed more “condition” dependent.

As always, your results may vary.

Regards
JHC