• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kowa TSN 884 or Minox MD 80ZR Spotting scope

Calfed

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
Will use it out to about 1000 yds.

Anyone able to offer guidance or opinions on which one to go for?

Interested in optic qualities and general robustness. Weight not an issue.

Reactions: Snark0
Haven't viewed a Minox...but the Kowa TSN 88a is the finest spotting scope I have owned and used. This replaced my Swaro spotting scope..

Attachments

• 20230716_134117.jpg
    20230716_134117.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230716_134105.jpg
    20230716_134105.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230716_134112.jpg
    20230716_134112.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 52
Had an opportunity to get a Kowa TSN-884 or a Minox MD 80 ZR for a great price at an auction.

You can’t go wrong with Kowa. I have a TSN-883 I use for wind reading. I’m not familiar with the minox.
what will you be using this scope for?

Shooting...out to 1000 yards.

Which eye piece do you have for the 883?

Yes, but the question is relating to how it is to be used. Reading wind/mirage at 1,000? Following bullet trace? Observing impacts on steel? Seeing holes on paper at 300? All of the above?
All of the above

I have had the Swarovski and now the 884 KOWA oh and the Vortex Razor too but haven’t seen anything better than the Kowa especially if you get the extra wide angle single power lense. I see dozens of them at FClass type matches.
SO, I suggest you try the Minox and report back with your thoughts on it…. As we maybe missing out.

Shooting...out to 1000 yards.

I have the 25x LER I use for reading mirage. I find that’s best. Too much more power and it lessens ability to read. Also have the 25x-60x wide lens but seldom use it.

Reactions: Calfed
All of the above
Ok, which of "all the above" is more important? Because all eyepieces will work well but one might be better suited on your primary choice.

I also use the 25X LER (Long Eye Relief) for wind reading and trace all distances.

Holes on paper at 300? Maybe the zoom is better for you but "seeing" those holes is more dependent on air quality and mirage not interfering. No problem at 200 yards, very clear. Field of view is a little less even if zoomed out, but still can read the wind and observe trace.

Ok, which of "all the above" is more important? Because all eyepieces will work well but one might be better suited on your primary choice.

I also use the 25X LER (Long Eye Relief) for wind reading and trace all distances.

Holes on paper at 300? Maybe the zoom is better for you but "seeing" those holes is more dependent on air quality and mirage not interfering. No problem at 200 yards, very clear. Field of view is a little less even if zoomed out, but still can read the wind and observe trace.
In this order...

Bullet holes in paper
Impact on (and around) steel
Reading Wind/mirage
Seeing bullet trace.

I have the 25x LER I use for reading mirage. I find that’s best. Too much more power and it lessens ability to read. Also have the 25x-60x wide lens but seldom use it.
Since you have both, would you say the 25LER eye piece is sharper than the 20x60 eyepiece?

Since you have both, would you say the 25LER eye piece is sharper than the 20x60 eyepiece?
I don’t think it is sharper at the same power. Kowa lenses are superb. The 25LER does have more eye relief like its name indicates. I’ll have to get the 25x-60x out of the closet and compare. As I mentioned, I haven’t used it much. I shoot F-Class and the 25x stays on the scope for wind reading. Probably several years since I’ve had it out.

I sold the zoom and strictly use the 25x LER at 600 through 1K in F class matches. The Kowa zoom is excellent but shooting prone I found that mirage at magnification beyond 25x outweighs the benefit.

I read your similar post on the other forum and Turbulant Turtle mentioned the new Kowa 35X extra wide angle eyepiece (TE-80XW) for the 883. I wish I had not read that. Now I may have to get one for my 883. I think they go for around $700. Anyone here have one for wind reading?

Last edited:
I have recently bought the Minox. All I can say is it punches well above its weight. I did buy it off eBay for a very reasonable price. It has replaced my Leupold MK4. The reticle is just brilliant and glass super clear.

Thanks, guys! The Kowa scope arrived

Question--The protective filter for the front lens is pretty pricy. Would a good quality Hoya or Nikon 95mm UV or clear filter work?

nghKA9C.jpg

b1uk6Iu.jpg

vT9vi7S.jpg

iFarB5O.jpg

SsdKzxb.jpg

Kowa makes protection for the eyepiece as well.

Random.....I am dog sitting for a buddy of mine, I stop by and keep and eye on his 2 pit bulls....and he lives on the water on Long Island NY

I notice he has the Kowa 88 mounted by his back window overlooking the water- he must have researched what the best spotter is bc he is not a hunter/shooter.

I was BLOWN AWAY at how amazing that spotter is. You can see details on boats miles away....boats that were well beyond the capability of my rangefinder. I am almost upset bc seeing how amazing that spotter is has ruined me for all others. I will never be able to appreciate anything less lol

One complaint, it is butt ugly. Why puke green? Rifle scopes are black 99% of the time but for some reasons spotters are these random colors. Maybe bc bird watchers like pretty colors?!?! But hunters want black. This is where Leica and Zeiss got it right. Swaro's greeen is classic I can not compalin but Kowa's green is hideous.

That said, it is the best spotter I have ever looked thru....not even close (but I have not looked thru a Harpia or Leica so take my opinion with a grain of salt)

Kowa makes protection for the eyepiece as well.
I have a similar protector on my LER eyepiece for my Kowa. It doesn't get in the way at all.
WSFSqxKl.jpg

I've owned the same scope for many years. Creedmoor Sports can make you a protective cover that will protect your scope better that the Kowa OEM, and has a choice of colors and camo's. I also purchased a Kowa 1.6x System S Eyepiece Extender and it will expand you viewing options even more. You will fully enjoy your purchase. You purchased the good stuff and so you'll only cry once.

I've owned the same scope for many years. Creedmoor Sports can make you a protective cover that will protect your scope better that the Kowa OEM, and has a choice of colors and camo's. I also purchased a Kowa 1.6x System S Eyepiece Extender and it will expand you viewing options even more. You will fully enjoy your purchase. You purchased the good stuff and so you'll only cry once.
I went to Creedmoor Sports to see about this fabled protective cover that is supposedly better than the fitted neoprene Kowa cover. Couldn't find it.

Wrong spotting scope and crappy cover.

No soup for you.

Call Creedmoor they made me a custom scope cover for me. IMHO: It is also much less expensive and more protective and has better functionality than the OEM Kowa option

Last edited: