• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Tikka T3 Whiskey 3 Chassis for use on .260REM and 308WIN Sako TRG22

immelmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2012
Australia
I have a Tikka T3 in .260Rem that is in an Whiskey 3 chassis. I can put my Sako TRG22 trigger group in the T3 which is awesome.
I have put the Whiskey 3 chassis butt on the TRG to shoot cheaper .308WIN for training. I use the TRG factory forend on the TRG with AI magazines but they are a bit floppy side to side. I am considering tapping the TRG chassis metal for the Whiskey 3 fore-end and get rid of the side to side AI magazine slop (the recoil lug is differently spaced on the TRG to T3 otherwise both skeletons would probably interchange)
I can't use the TRG magazines on the T3 so need to train like for like.
I would use the TRG magazines but don't want to swap to the shorter TRG KRG magazine release (which I own) or use the TRG forend.
The TRG factory magazines are double stack and fantastic, if I could use them in the T3 I would. They also accept longer OAL handloads (10 thou off the lands). I am currently having the front of the AI magazine removed and spot weld holes filled in for use on the long OAL hand-loaded 308WIN ammo in TRG.
The TRG chassis is much nicer than the Whiskey 3 for comfort (smoother and better ergonomics, less weight) in my opinion but I love the thumb shelf of the Whiskey 3. The Whiskey 3 chassis is excellent in its own right.
I am a TRG tragic and use the TRG bi-pod on both receivers / chassis.
It is literally remove 3 screws, loosen off the grips, swap trigger mech and chassis butt stock over. The action still is retained on the aluminium skeleton of the chassis so a scope stays true. With my both zero MOA bases on both rifles, I have a ERA-TAC 20 MOA ring base on my NF NXS and Accuracy First bubble level. A quick re-zero and it's like the same gun in two different calibres.
I haven't yet tried to put the TRG factory fore-end on the Whiskey 3 T3 chassis, but if it works that's much better than AI magazines.

immelmann, when u install the trg trigger on ur t3/krg do u remove the trg trigger guard? I have thought about getting a trg trigger from brownells but the pic they show looks like the trigger guard is pinned/attached to the trigger . Was not sure how that would work in place of the t3 trigger on a krg, since the mag release was part of the trigger guard. Can u elaborate a little more on the trigger swap/krg stock?

Looks good. Is ur trigger guard krg or sako? I talked to massoud on here and i understood him that u have to use the sako trigger guard that comes on the trg trigger with his chassis. Bolt length changes and the mag catch modifications have left me in nuetral. Did u guys remove the sako trigger guard that comes on the trg trigger, then bolt trigger to t3, and then use the krg trigger guard? The pic of a trg trigger on brownells show it comes with trigger guard that appears pinned on, does it come off easily? Thanks gents, just trying to wrap my head around this before i buy a 350 trigger just to send it back or f it up.

One of our guys took the trigger guard off the TRG trigger (it's just pinned on there) and used the TRG trigger on a T3 with our trigger guard. This would negate the need for a different rear action screw and also any changes to the mag catch. It may not have been too simple so I'll ask him what was involved. If you do keep the TRG trigger guard, you just need to go with a M6x30mm rear action screw and you may need a longer mag catch, both of which we have available.
Justin

Thanks massoud, did he keep the trg safety or put the tikka safety on the trg trigger? Hey i need to get that backbone back to u, the one u sent took care of my issue. Changed it out and shot some at 1k, managed some 5-7" groups. 10-15 mph wind was stretching out groups horizontally , but groups good with no 2&3 shot patterns.

When running a factory TRG and factory stock I used the TRG KRG magazine release which is great.
However, when you put the W3 butt on the TRG you need to have a longer (T3 style) KRG magazine release to use AI magazines.
The magazine release catch is just knocking out a slim pin and easy.
6brshooter, despite the different KRG mag release I leave the whole TRG trigger assembly intact and don't change the trigger guard. I bought a whole heap of new screws and to not have the rear action tang screw interfere with the bolt groove, choose the correct screw within 5mm and use a washer or two to get full purchase in the rear tang action.
Scotch_egg, have you got the TRG magazine to work on the T3?
I am trying to find the perfect combination of same feel but just different calibre. This is why I am still experimenting.
I will take some photos soon.

Im using alpha mags. There is a guy on here using TRG mags in a similar set up but they are really cost prohibitive.