• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Whiskey 3 Chassis upgrade

Kaidoremi

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2019
Houston Texas
Hey guys. Use to be a member here a few years ago. Purchased my rifle on here, but that was a few computers ago.
I currently run a Surgeon 591 with a Krieger heavy barrel in a McMillan A5 stock. The stock is an older model. The cheek piece wont stay tight and every 5 rounds I have to tighten it down again. I cant fix it in place because I need to have it down to remove the bolt. I'm looking to upgrade my current setup to the KRG Whiskey 3. My plan is to just do a straight swap. Nothing I have read so far makes me feel like I need a gunsmith. Am I missing something? Will it really be that easy? Remove my current stock and drop my barreled action into the Chassis? The largest OD of my barrel by the chamber is 1.25" but that appears to be ok from what I have read. It just seems too easy... If it matters I do plan to buy new. Gen 6.

It's that simple, you will want a longer Allen bit if you plan on torquing it down.

Yes, it's as simple as removing your BA and torquing it into the KRG. No bedding, no shims.

What kind of cheek piece set up do you have on the A5? If its KMW did you install the c clip?

Thanks for the help guys. Joezone I have the Integral Thumbwheel Adjustable Cheekpiece. The two smaller set screws keep backing off. And the recoil turns the whole Thumbwheel. I'm guessing if I removed them and installed regular set screws this would solve the problem. But this way I also scratch my new rifle itch and can stop looking at building a 300 win mag...

Gotcha just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy fix that was overlooked. I have an older McMillan with their thumbwheel set up and gave up on it. I ended up taking it off and just using a stock pack on that rifle. I understand re the itch for another rifle:)

Purchased today direct from KRG website. Will post pictures when I get it together in the picture thread. Will also update if I run into any issues.

That should be a great chassis. I got a chance to get behind one and love the grip.