• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Krieger barrel contour

dpodgurs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2010
Peoria, AZ
Right now I am just doing some preliminary research on a 308 build I am planning. Looking at a BAT Machine tri lug receiver most likely short action and a Krieger barrel. As of the moment I have no idea which contour I would choose. Any suggestions and info? Also considering the 5R rifling pattern.

Re: Krieger barrel contour

What are you planning on using your rifle for? How heavy do you want it?

In general, I like a standard or heavy palma contour, which is a good compromise of weight and accuracy.

While I don't run a 308, I am using a Kreiger in 6.5 CM with a HV 17 barrel. The barrel has a finished length 28" not including the brake. The heavy varmint barrel is extremely accurate and does a good job of reducing the felt recoil. The other benefit of a quality barrel is the ease of cleaning it.

The only down side is you would have a tough time of shooting it unsupported.

Plan on using it for distance target shooting out to 1000 yds and want to get into competition shooting with it. Was looking at the heavy contours and probably getting it threaded. Not sure of the length of the barrel, or twist rate. As of now I was looking at the 1 in 10" twist.

I recently picked up a krieger #17 hv 1-10 for my 308. It was a 29 3/4 inch blank and it finished out at 28 inches.

Its a tack driver
Im getting 2725 fps with 178 amax behind 43 g of varget.

Only draw back is that its Heavy

Heres a group a 5 shot group I rattled off last week. Pulled my forth shot

308group001.jpg

By lvgolfer962 at 2012-08-17

What are your thoughts on a 22" barrel? I kind of want the barrel to be short so that I can suppress it in the future and not have it be 30"+. I have a 26" 7mm right now and I think that is long.

I dont see it being a problem, just need more powder to get the speed up.

Ive got a 7mm saum with the same barrel but its 31" long lol

I have a 22" Krieger Medium Palma contour on my .308. It is an easy .5 MOA gun out to 600 which is the farthest I have shot it.

I just received it back from Kampfeld Customs who threaded the barrel, made a thread protector and fluted my bolt. I don't have any pictures since the work was done, but this is what it looked like before:

photo.jpg

I have a 1-12 twist .308 with the #17 contour at 25" long, used it in Fclass to 1000yds and made master with it shooting the 174 SMK.
this tube is freaking accurate and shoots everything in tiny clusters.
a bit on the heavy side but I don't care, it shoots soo good.
cheers.

I've got a Krieger #17 hv and it is a big fat heavy assed tube but man it shoots. I had it cut to 22 inches and it is an absolute great setup. id probably get a slightly lighter contour honestly if i did it all over again but I'm not unhappy with what i have.

i have a krieger 5r #17 hv 11twst cut to 22inches on my spartan 308. i love it, but it wouldnt the first rifle i would grab if i was going to be carrying it around for extended amounts of time. its a pretty heavy contour. crazy accurate though.

Since you're building such a nice gun have you looked into .260/6.5 or 7mm-08 instead of .308? For the uses you describe
you may want to consider them for superior ballistics, less recoil, and, it seems according to most people's experience, better accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrndyamax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now I am just doing some preliminary research on a 308 build I am planning. Looking at a BAT Machine tri lug receiver most likely short action and a Krieger barrel. As of the moment I have no idea which contour I would choose. Any suggestions and info? Also considering the 5R rifling pattern. </div></div>

Don't rule out .243 either. If you are not shooting at anything but paper, you might as well maximize your bullet's performance for the powder charge you have. Just make sure the barrel twist rate is proper for heavy bullets if you want to shoot it a long distance.

I have a Krieger Hunter contour and I really like the feel of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a krieger #17 finished to 26" .308 1-12 and i love it.</div></div>

I too have krieger #17 heavy varmint barrel finished at 26" with a Badger break at the end, waiting on approval for suppressor. My barrel is 1:11 twist.

And yes they are very easy to clean and copper does not seem to be deposited in barrel like it is in my TRG-22.

I've had a couple of rifles built using Krieger barrels. All of my friends have their rifles built using Krieger barrels. I don't think I've ever seen a rifle with a Krieger barrel that was installed right that did't shoot very sub MOA with a good shooter.

I went with the heavy varmint profile, for a few reasons. The first is that I didn't want the weight of a straight tube. The walk to the firing line is sometimes pretty long. I also wanted to maximize the life of the barrel, so I chose .308. With this caliber you get a very good barrel life. I also chose .308 because many of the matches that I wanted to shoot are limited to the .308.

Another big benefit of the heavy varmint is the 5" section at the breech end that maintains 1.250" thickness. This leaves you a lot of room for setting your barrel back and having the chamber recut, for when your throat gets blown out.

If going with .308, I'd also get a twist faster than 1:12. I know that Krieger says that 1:12 should be fine up to 175s, but I've found them to be iffy with the heavier/longer bullets.

If you decide to go with a caliber other than .308, do your research and consider factors in light of how much you're going to be shooting the rifle and how deep your pockets are.

For example, the .243. I really like the .243. It shoots flatter, bucks the wind better and has less recoil, but the barrel life is about 1/3 of what you would get out of a .308. That was a consideration for me, because when rimfire season ends and we start into centerfire season, for us, I put at least 500 rounds a month through my .308. With a .243, I'd be having my barrel set back/replaced at least every season with a .243, rather than every second or third season, with the .308.

In any case, Krieger is never a bad choice. Just be sure that you get the right twist. Which rifling you get won't matter much. They all shoot well.

These were some of the first groups that I shot with my last barrel, when working up loads. They aren't best ofs, just a few that I shot that day. The center diamond is 3/4" from top to bottom and were shot at 100 yards off of a bipod using a squeeze bag.

DSC_0007.jpg

Ok so I want to jump in here and ask a few questions I hope this is not thread jacking since its related if so I'm sorry. I just ordered a Krieger 6.5 1:8 twist in a Sendero contour so I can eventually( 7month wait) build a 6.5x47. Ever since hanging up the phone to order it I have been second guessing the Sendero contour and now reading this thread no body has mentioned that contour as their choice so I am wondering did I make a wrong choice? Also what is the benefit of the straight taper/match contour opposed to the Sendero/Palma style taper?I chose it because I thought it was a middle ground between the heavy straight tubes and the sporters as well as I already have the Remington varmint barrel on my .243 so it would feel familiar. As of now I shoot mainly prone out to 600 and am trying to work my way out to 1000 I would like to start competing for fun by next season. So would y'all recommend a different contour than a Sendero? Also what is the barrel life of a 6.5x47 vs say a .243 or 7mm-08(my second choice for a future build)?

If you want to shoot to 1K cull the .308 and go 6.5 Creedmoor with a 1:8.5 twist. No need to reload just buy 140AMAX ammo. I would not go under 24" to keep the velocity and thus preformance up.

If you are set on .308 and want to suppress it go 1:10 twist so you can stabilize the subsonics (you are going to want to with a can it is crazy). #18 LV contour is PLENTY heavy enough. 20" would work well and still get you to 1K just not as easy as the 6.5CM.