• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Kuiu vs Sitka

Smokin7s

Lawyer, Astronaut, Pathological Liar
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Guys that own or have owned both which do you prefer? I’m wonder all around which is better just between the two fit, warmth, quality, and ventilation?

KUIU pants are hands down the best available. The hip zippers are a game changer, everything else is a toss up and comes down to personal preference.

Reactions: USMC_03XX
Anyone who says their choice is the best is an opinion you can ignore. Fanboys are label guys...hunters use what works. And in that regard you may wanna swing both ways.

All I know is I have some Sitka Acent pants, and they are incredible. I hate wearing pants.
But I love wearing these, they are super comfortable, stretching, block out wind (My legs were warm in 30 mph wind yesterday in 50 degree weather) no issues with star thistle.
Highly recommended.

I've moved away from the "hunting" brands and back to general outdoor brands (ArcTeryx, Patagonia, Outdoor research, etc.). I've spent thousands upon thousands on "hunting" brands, and frankly they're just subpar in terms of quality.

Reactions: tydex21
KUIU Nation for Gucci ‘flage. Magellan for everyday outdoor wear. Attack pants by Kuiu are like yoga pants but for men.

Personal preference. Both top quality. I tend to lean to Sitka because I can try it on first. You might find you like kuiu pants and Sitka shirts or whatever mix match.

Kuiu attack or guide pants are pretty hard to beat. First lite wool and blends are really good. First lite Sawtooth Hybrid hoodie is a really well laid out mid/outer layer and always comes along. Sitka rain gear is pretty light and seems to work. These are the items that always make the final cut in my kit.

All the top brands are pretty damn good. I tend to like Kuiu because it’s a slimmer cut. Just fits me well. A lot of this is just men’s fashion.

Kuiu stuff has worked well for me. Had some Sitka stuff but the comparable kuiu items were better for me. I bought most of it when they used to have good sales but they haven’t lately.

I've moved away from the "hunting" brands and back to general outdoor brands (ArcTeryx, Patagonia, Outdoor research, etc.). I've spent thousands upon thousands on "hunting" brands, and frankly they're just subpar in terms of quality.
Beat me to it... 👆 This.

Well i bought a bunch of Kuiu in Aug, when i got it it all had "designed in america, made in china" so sent it all back and said - made in america only sorry even if it costs 2-3x.

Last edited:
Kuiu was founded by two guys who left Sitka. I use first lite merino base layers (I wear their merino boxers year round, every single day). I have mainly Sitka gear for outerwear as I found the prices better for me. The Kuiu attack pants are money, but mine wore out faster than my prana pants. The kuiu tent I have is awesome though.

A lot of the Kuiu vs Sitka is marketing. Most will agree though that first lite base layers are the way to go though.

Reactions: Wyzrd and Smokin7s
I have used pieces from Kuiu, Sitka, FL, Scree, Beyond Clothing, Crye, LEAF etal.

For straight stand in the rain and take a soaking, LEAF and Beyond are pearless.

Everything else, I just mix and match.

Kuiu was founded by two guys who left Sitka. I use first lite merino base layers (I wear their merino boxers year round, every single day). I have mainly Sitka gear for outerwear as I found the prices better for me. The Kuiu attack pants are money, but mine wore out faster than my prana pants. The kuiu tent I have is awesome though.

A lot of the Kuiu vs Sitka is marketing. Most will agree though that first lite base layers are the way to go though.

Yes Jason Hairston took his own life i think 2 years ago due to CTE sustained in football . Was a close fried to Don Jr Trump. Enjoyed his youtube videos .. what a shame.

I agree that first lite is awesome. However, there are a lot of good base layers out there. As others have mentioned, anything outdoor industry focused is usually top notch and has a much broader audience than hunting focused gear. In addition to first lite, smartwool, OR, Patagonia, minus 33 and several others make awesome base layers too that are often cheaper. But, for those that feel they must have camo for a base layer, first lite is probably tops.

I went to replace my GoreTex rain gear recently and was ready to pull the trigger on Sitka.

I tried it on, decided to bite the $800 bullet, and looked at the tag. Made in China.

Nope.

I'll still be wearing issued GoreTex.

First Lite does have baller first layer stuff.

Well i bought a bunch of Kuiu in Aug, when i got it it all had "designed in america, made in china" so sent it all back and said - made in america only sorry even if it costs 2-3x.
I don’t think any of the brands mentioned are US made.

I agree that first lite is awesome. However, there are a lot of good base layers out there. As others have mentioned, anything outdoor industry focused is usually top notch and has a much broader audience than hunting focused gear. In addition to first lite, smartwool, OR, Patagonia, minus 33 and several others make awesome base layers too that are often cheaper. But, for those that feel they must have camo for a base layer, first lite is probably tops.

I don't even use the camo base layer. I use the green base layer they have with my uniform items while in the field. I'm lucky and get a discount with FL for military - probably another reason I shop with them.

I don’t think any of the brands mentioned are US made.

Even "Berry Complaint" items from the DOD have parts sourced from China. Friend of mine owns https://perseverancesurvival.com/ (if you've never been to their site, check them out. Owned by an active duty Marine) and he said that almost all textiles are foreign made. Not the end item, but the physical fabric that is used. The US just doesn't have much textile fabrication left organically.

It makes sense to manufacture the items overseas, but there is a HUUUUUGE markup on Sitka/Kuiu/First Lite products

Last edited:
Both brands have served me well and held up very well. Currently I just prefer the Kuiu brand but both make great pants.

I bought all Sitka, sold it all and bought all Kuiu, basically playing "fanboy" and chasing 'flage patterns. I finally decided to sell all my kuiu and move to solids as I have no problem wearing it hunting and can also wear it casually or for matches. Here is my breakdown of what I think are the best of each

Pants:
Overall: Sitka Timberline, light and breathable, reinforced knee and butt is awesome and removeable knee pads nice touch. They can be a little warm early season or on long hikes.
Early season: I prefer the Kuiu Attack pants, seem to hold up really well, the hip zips are great for dumping heat on hikes or during early season hunting.
Rain: Probably a toss-up between top offerings of Sitka and KUIU, I have the Chugach but sold it and now own Sitka Stormfront, they are a little heavier but bombproof with gore-tex and have held up during matches in the rain rolling around.
Baselayers: First Lite, just universally accepted as some of the best, they have some zip-off options that are interesting.

Tops:
Overall: Sitka Jetstream, the single biggest factor is the Gore Windstopper layer in it, I had the Kuiu Guide and felt like wind went right through it, the Jetstream is my go to jacket on almost every hunt. Has plenty of pockets, hood, pit zips, slightly longer in the rear, and quiet, put on plenty of stalks wearing it and no issues.
Early Season: Take your pick, Sitka has some nice pieces, if you want merino look at first lite, or Kuiu has some thinner Peleton layers. I wear a Lightweight Sitka long sleeve t shirt, and if it gets a little chilly will put on a heavyweight hoody shirt.
Rain: Look at Pants
Baselayers: See Pants section

Gloves: Owned quite a few of them, my favorite for glassing right now are the First Lite Grizzly 2.0 mitts, super warm, enough dexterity to use my binos or spotting scope, leases to not lose them and removable liners. My day to day favorite are a pair of Arc'teryx that have held up amazingly well, they have a very thin layer of insulation to take the chill off, they have touch fingers so I can still use my phone withe them on, no velcro to get hung up or cause noise, not sure if they make them anymore but hope I can find another pair as these are money.

Socks: I really like my First Lite socks, have held up really well, do not seem to get a ton of smell even after long days wearing them, I have not tried GORE or Kuiu but do plan to buy a couple more pairs of First lite.

Insulation:
This is a tough one as it completely depends on how you plan to use it and what your conditions will be like. I had a kuiu super down and had no complaints, it seemed super warm whenever I wore it, I sold it to not have camo and bought a First Lite Brooks, it is thinner and not quite as warm but that has been okay for me as I usually did not need the extreme heat the Super down provided. Another factor is if you will be in wet areas, sometimes you need to look synthetic so it can dry out, if its natural down and gets wet you are SOL, some are DWR treated but not sure on longevity of it.

Biggest downside to First Lite and Kuiu is that you cannot try them on, but I usually just order a couple extra sizes and then decide which fits best. If you have friends that wear it see if you can try on a couple pieces and get a sense of what your average size is.

Have both, Guide jacket is outstanding.
Ascent shirt pant is great for early season humping.
My bud swears by his attack pants.
Teton rain gear has worked great for what I use it for.
ect, ect.
Both make solid equip.
Apply choice to conditions.

R

Reactions: powdahound76
I have a mix of Kuiu, FL, SG, and Sitka. Mix and match for the trip/weather. they are all very good. That said, the Kuiu pants fit my body awesome and I prefer them b/c of that. Attack pants for almost everything unless really cold, then use Talus Hybrids.

The company that owns Gor-Tex purchased Sitka.
I have had a number of items from Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite. I prefer First lite for my merino and heavy bibs and coats. Sitka has some nice gear as well but it is pricey. Kuiu's pants used to (maybe still do) only come in one length so I never bought their pants. They down jackets are nice. Havent found any of these items to stand up to the briars we have here in the south.

The company that owns Gor-Tex purchased Sitka.
I have had a number of items from Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite. I prefer First lite for my merino and heavy bibs and coats. Sitka has some nice gear as well but it is pricey. Kuiu's pants used to (maybe still do) only come in one length so I never bought their pants. They down jackets are nice. Havent found any of these items to stand up to the briars we have here in the south.
Kuiu Attack pants come in Short 31" inseam, 34", and I think 37" inseam.

I run first lite base layers and kuiu for insulation and outerwear. Most agree first lite has the best base layers. Where Sitka has kuiu beat is for tree stand hunting where there is minimal movement. I have a feeling this will change in the next few years as kuiu is starting to add more range to their product line.

Reactions: prwillard2