• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kukri vs. Cutlass

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
I'm looking at getting a 'short' machete-style blade to actually use, not hang off my backpack and be a spec tacops SEAL. I'm on a $50 budget, so that unfortunately plays a part in my decision. I need a solid knife that will cut tall grass and 2" woody brush and branches with a good swing. I don't need one that's very long, since I'll occasionally be in closer spaces than swinging a 22" blade will allow. Primarily I'm going to be carrying it with my chainsaw setup to quickly get to and from downed trees and occasionally limbing some stuff when my hatchet is otherwise occupied (i.e. when my wife is handling the branches).

I'm wanting some feedback on a couple different styles. I'm pretty comfortable with a cutlass style - straighter blade back but still with some meat on the end for a swing. I have to admit to being interested in the kukri style as well, because it seems like it would be weighted a little better for hacking and it has more usable cutting space toward the heavy end. I don't have experience with the kukri blades, so I was wanting someone <span style="font-weight: bold">with</span> experience to offer some input on the pros and cons of the kukri vs. cutlass styles.

Also, I'm looking at those two knives in particular, as they're both available through Amazon for under $50 and I can have one before the weekend. I am open to suggestions on knives that have worked great for you guys in the past, and again I'm looking for shorter blades (think under 16"). Thanks for your help, guys.

Re: Kukri vs. Cutlass

Most machetes from the Ontario Knife Company will suffice.

Personally I LOVE my KUKRI I after several years of use/abuse it's still going strong. I have the Cold Steel LTC, which I got for a decent price many years ago. They make a cheaper version of it now but I'm sure its still a good tool.
Its not on your list but something you may want to look into is the woodsmans pal (http://www.woodsmanspal.net/) very strong blade and quite versatile. I got one for my Dad for a gift a few years back and he says it works quite well. It definitely has the
strength/backbone for some serious cutting chores. In addition the price on it isnt far off of your budget. Oh and it is also MADE IN THE USA, Pennsylvania even.
Good luck let us know how ya make out

Between those two, I'd go with the Kukri style for one handed limbing purposes. It won't do as well with the tall grass though as you need more speed than weight for that chore. A cheap lightweight $10 machete will do a better job than either of those two choices on grass.

I'm a Kukri user who has numerous of them and use them all the time. They're choppers that can take down small trees and laugh at small limbs, but they don't do delicate work well.

I bought a 12" Ontario machete a month or so ago, around $20. I've done a bit of yard work with it and it seems to cut pretty well.

how can we have a discussion about large blades without mentioning the katana or the rapier?

but seriously, i have an ontario knife SP8 that's a very good utility blade.