• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: kukri

Cold Steel? Nah, you can't be serious.

Look at Himalayan Imports. Better CS and they have higher attention to standards and demand more from their contracted makers. Plus, they don't charge an arm, a leg, and a big toe for shipping.

Between the links Cherns and Veer posted you'll find the best and the real deal. I wouldn't touch that Cold Steel one.

I have about a dozen of various makes and designs, all given to me by Gurkhas I supervise, and here is my take. If you actually plan on using them, go with a wooden handle. The metal handles are nice looking but get real slick with sweat. You also want one that the tang goes all the way through the handle. You can sometimes tell this by the tip being flattened at the base of the handle. Remember that the real ones are made from truck leaf springs and will rust, so keep them oiled.

8"-12" blades (13"-18" overall) are optimal for GP light/medium chopping and cutting. I don't like it as a machete as they're too heavy for light brush and leaves, but boy will they make quick work of saplings and small trees. Quite frankly I think they're one of the most versatile knives in the world, but still have their place. The WWII design style is one of my favorites.

The fancy ones look awesome in a display stand and are always a good conversation piece too.

ETA: Here is the link for the company Veer spoke of.

I use the Cold Steel kukri frequently at work and while camping. I think I paid 20 bucks for it. Much lighter than other ones I've handled. It isn't the best but if you want something lighter and smaller than a full machete, it is a pretty good compromise with good cutting power

Mr Low and Slow. i plan on using it when camping, hiking and if it comes to it survival. Basic all oround use. MM

Always wanted the Himalayan Imports Chiruwa Ang Khola (sp?). Haven't done it yet, but this is getting me thinking on it again...

GROUP BUY!!! My son was looking at them and got me interested......man the shipping is a lot, but look at where it coming from right?? Still haven't pulled the trigger on ordering one though I do want to get a few eventually.

I just ordered the 3 Chirra (The Beast) from Khukuri House and now the wait starts. I'm really interested in one called "Xtrema Militia" that looks like a modern take on the kukri that would be great for camping and hard use. I looked at the Cold Steel but for the price I decided to go with an authentic kukri.

Last edited:
fx77,
That really is a nice Khukuri. The maker has solved many of the problems common with "traditional" khukuri handles, such as :
1. Possibility of the hand sliding down a slippery handle and onto the blade.
2. tendency of traditional handles to "roll" in your hand
3. Excessive pressure on the little finger by the sharp oval shape at the rear of a traditional handle shape.

If this blade were offered in a 10-12 inch blade, it would be pretty close to the ultimate khukiri adaptation.

There is a reason why the hilt is like a knob and smooth on a traditional khukri. It gives you some extra torque when chopping. Plus it allows for switching grips quickly, especially useful with stick fighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have owned about 35 various Khukuris, and used most of them. Here are my observations:

1. The traditional shape of the handle has a rather sharp edge where your little finger wraps around the handle. On extended chopping, this sharp edge really digs into your little finger. You will probably end up smoothing off that sharp edge.

2. You don't want a round handle because it can roll in your hand.

3. The full tang models are much stronger and allow you more flexibility to change the handle shape to suit your needs.

4. The long thin sirupati type blade about 15 inches is a really nice shape for fighting and general use. The 12 inch blade is better
for all round use. Remember that the khukuri was originally more like a farm implement used to dig, chop, pry and do all sorts
of other things. They are extremely useful, and although the sirupati pattern is really beautiful, it lacks some of the utility of
the 12 inch long blades.

5. Many traditional blades are forged out of old vehicle springs, with Mercedes truck springs being the favorite. These often end up
being between 3/8 and half inch thick. A 1/4 inch thick blade is PLENTY thick enough for anything I ever needed to do, chop or
pry.

6. The notch near the base of the blade can indicate where it is made. Most of the ones from India have a square protrusion, while
those from Nepal have a pointed protrusion in the middle. Generally, the ones from Nepal are much better made.

7. Shop around. Many places charge 2 or 3 times what a different vendor will charge for similar quality. It really pays to shop
around. Himalayan imports, khukuri house, Gurhka house are three places worth looking at. Don't overlook Cold Steel's offering
just because they are made here. The ones from Cold Steel have very good steel and handles unless you are stuck on tradition.

I think that for most work, the bowie and khukuri are the two most useful blade shapes available.

I have heard very good things about Khukuri House. I have an old WW2 era Kukri which I like but the handle is a little small for my big stupid mits, but have been thinking I may need to order this.Kukri Detail
There is also a guy on bladeforums Claudio-CAS who does some sick work in Argentina.This is one of his.
2.jpg

Airdumptruck,
That is one of the most beautiful Khukuri's I have ever seen, and I have seen ALOT of 'em. Is that from that fellow in Argentina?
The Hamon on that knife is out of this world beautiful...I'm guessing work like that runs between $1000-2500.

I don't know, so many choices, hard to tell. I went with Meheima Madraisa's "Dis 1 Ready Soon." He has sold those to some of the best competitive Kukri fighters out there. Nice guy, fantastic heat treating and he only uses steel straight from Weider.

Last edited:
I tried finding Meheima Madraisa, but couldn't find anything on him. Can you provide a link, or a hint on how to see where to buy his wares?

Wow....I posted on this thread three years ago....and finally just pulled the trigger and ordered 3 Beasts after seeing this thread again........Franks got them in stock now......