• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing L/H International Palma build Nesika Model

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Let me prefrace this for an apology on the photo work. My camera has been down. It's a Nikon D50SLR. The lens won't autofocus anymore. I found a replacement yesterday and its on the way. Hopefully this'll resolve the chitty pic quality we've been dealing with as of late.

Here's the parts list for "Ricksters" rifle:

L/H 1.350" Nesika Bay Precision Model K
    Grunig and Elmiger FT300 two stage trigger (BAD ASS)
    2x Brux barrels, Medium Palma Contours
    a. 30 cal chambered in 308 Gamboa
    b. 6mm cal chambered in 6mm XC
    One of the last stocks Ian Robertson ever made (sob
    frown.gif
    )
    Sunny Hill Bar stock trigger guard
    Our adjustable cheek hardware
    Warner Tool Company rear sight
    Front Ladder as yet to be determined
    Adjustable buttplate from McMillan

We started with barreling up the two sticks. Pretty straight forward stuff. The Gamboa reamer is tailored for 155's but has a long FB length because ol Bob (Gamboa) is a speed freak and loves to sling bulletz at ludicrous speeds out of his Palma rigs. Good chamber!

Next, onto stockwork:

setup:

DSC_0057.jpg

Loading:

DSC_0058.jpg

Whittlin:

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Primary inlet completed:

DSC_0061.jpg

Onto beddin her up. . .(more in a minute)

Re: L/H International Palma build Nesika Model

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful work of Art Chad.</div></div>

Totally agree. Can't wait for mine to get finished or see the Varmint Slayer build thread....

Great to see the build pics....keep them coming Chad

Onto the bottom side!

Setting up for the accy rail:

DSC_0002.jpg

Whittlin:

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

fitted:

I leave em a pinch proud so that the big honkin Anschutz handstops don't eat the paint. Just a pinch high.

DSC_0009.jpg

Onto the escutcheon and trigger guard!

That is really awesome Chad, I am jealous!

All done with the machine work. Now to fit the cheek piece hardware, install the buttstock, and get it ready for color.

Ferrari red of some sort.

DSC_00013.jpg

DSC_00023.jpg

DSC_00033.jpg

C. Dixon said:
    Let me prefrace this for an apology on the photo work. My camera has been down. It's a Nikon D50SLR. The lens won't autofocus anymore. I found a replacement yesterday and its on the way. Hopefully this'll resolve the chitty pic quality we've been dealing with as of late.

Thanks for clearing that up Chad!!! Thought for awhile there I'd wasted 5 grand on my Lasik !
    frown.gif

Here's one of the most baddest assest two stage trigger ever created, the Grunig and Elmiger FT300 CISM rifle trigger.

Rolex that goes "click"!
    smile.gif

DSC_0001-1.jpg

$600+ bucks and about a year's wait. I'm the US service center for these guys. Used to tinker with them quite a bit in CO. Cool stuff from Switzerland!

Grunig Home page SEXY GUNS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N.Allen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    C. Dixon said:

Thanks for clearing that up Chad!!! Thought for awhile there I'd wasted 5 grand on my Lasik !
    frown.gif
    </div></div>

I've seen your groups. You didn't waste any money mister!

Tell me more about the rimfire action Grunig makes...

Interesting link to Grunig...never heard of them before.

Nice work as usual!

Chad I would love to see how the vertical head is attached to the mill if you get a chance. I have the same cinci mill and a spare series one BP head now the wheels are turnin

OH LAWD!! Love your inletting work! I would send you my McM A5 in a heart beat if I only lived in the states...
    frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Let me preface this for an apology on the photo work. My camera has been down. It's a Nikon D50SLR. The lens won't auto-focus anymore. I found a replacement yesterday and its on the way. Hopefully this'll resolve the chitty pic quality we've been dealing with as of late.</div></div>

On a Nikon DLSR, a problem with the auto-focus could be either the camera or the lens. When you get your replacement you might swap one part out and help determine the origin of the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    DSC_0057.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon 10 September 2011 on this website</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Directly from our website:

<span style="font-style: italic">Rifle Stocks:

Services Page regarding stock work

We are committed to the idea that a rifle stock needs to look as good taken apart as it does when assembled. The care and quality invested in our inletting and pillar bedding demonstrates this philosophy. The use of unpainted, unfinished, and uninletted stock blanks is a vital component of this process and is why LongRifles Inc. will only build rifles on stocks that are free of any/all finish and inletting work.* Customers who wish to supply a stock are encouraged to do so but we require that all stock blanks be ordered in either a plain gel coat or unfinished wood so that they can be completed to our standards. * (Terry Leonard carbon/wood laminate Benchrest stocks are an exception) </span>

In a nutshell:

We ALWAYS start with virgin blanks. How we get there can range from brand new blanks from any marquee vendor or by us building a stock back up and starting over.

We ALWAYS apply finish to the stocks. Emphasis on ALWAYS.

Please take a moment and review this if considering us to do your stock work. Custom doesn't come in a box Ladies and Germs. It requires some additional effort. If you'd like a skim bedded, gel coated, blueprinted with a tap rifle then god bless you and we wish you the best in your endeavor.

Our methods, processes, and finished products are done differently. It's been that way from the start and I'll close the doors for good long before I ever consider changing it.

Please be mindful of this, understand it, and embrace it before contacting us for gunwork. Otherwise one of us might as well be speaking Farsi. I won't understand you and vise verse.

All the best,

Chad.

</div></div>

Doesn't look like a "virgin blank" to me. Looks like there is some inletting done already.

It says "or by us building a stock back up and starting over"

She is coming together very nicely Chad! Your inlettng work is so clean, no chips, voids!

You do some kickass work!!!

Thanks for putting a rush job on this rifle build for me.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the rifle build.

Thanks a lot!

-RICK-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    DSC_0057.jpg

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon 10 September 2011 on this website</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Directly from our website:

<span style="font-style: italic">Rifle Stocks:

Services Page regarding stock work

We are committed to the idea that a rifle stock needs to look as good taken apart as it does when assembled. The care and quality invested in our inletting and pillar bedding demonstrates this philosophy. The use of unpainted, unfinished, and uninletted stock blanks is a vital component of this process and is why LongRifles Inc. will only build rifles on stocks that are free of any/all finish and inletting work.* Customers who wish to supply a stock are encouraged to do so but we require that all stock blanks be ordered in either a plain gel coat or unfinished wood so that they can be completed to our standards. * (Terry Leonard carbon/wood laminate Benchrest stocks are an exception) </span>

In a nutshell:

We ALWAYS start with virgin blanks. How we get there can range from brand new blanks from any marquee vendor or by us building a stock back up and starting over.

We ALWAYS apply finish to the stocks. Emphasis on ALWAYS.

Please take a moment and review this if considering us to do your stock work. Custom doesn't come in a box Ladies and Germs. It requires some additional effort. If you'd like a skim bedded, gel coated, blueprinted with a tap rifle then god bless you and we wish you the best in your endeavor.

Our methods, processes, and finished products are done differently. It's been that way from the start and I'll close the doors for good long before I ever consider changing it.

Please be mindful of this, understand it, and embrace it before contacting us for gunwork. Otherwise one of us might as well be speaking Farsi. I won't understand you and vise verse.

All the best,

Chad.

</div></div>

Doesn't look like a "virgin blank" to me. Looks like there is some inletting done already. </div></div>

REALLY?

Look again: This is how VIRGIN stock blanks come from the vendors. The shell is complete and the filler/core is exposed on the showline centers.

Been this way forever. I speculate it'll stay this way.

BTW: It's the first picture in the build. . .

DSC_0057.jpg

Other examples:

Tom Manners, McMillan, and Ian Robertson Composites:

103_0716.jpg

These are two examples of stocks we fill up to start over:

103_0717.jpg

Does this answer the question?

You cut off a nun on your drive into work this morning or something Chad? Just not your day for having people bust your chops.

I am a nobody on this site, but having plumbed a few Remington 700s, I really appreciate what Chad can do. I also don't appreciate comments like 762's on a build thread that could turn Chad off to doing these threads.

Chad, I am mostly a lurker and try not to post because of the keyboard jackasses but I will be a customer of yours in the future. I have a left ejection port Lawton that needs some love and will contact you in the future. Please don't stop posting build threads.

There are always going to be those that will try to cut talented people down or undermine them - usually due to deep-seated self-loathing and self-image issues. There are those who are simply jealous of the talent of others. Occasionally, there are some who will never be satisfied, no matter how well something is done or regardless of the fact that they gave the craftsman the wrong instructions. Such people as the various types cited, may be referred to by many labels - some call them Liberals, others, "window-lickers," and a plethora of other sobriquets. I like Clint Smith's term...

Turd suckers.

I like these threads for the pictures and the running narrative.

It's not. Pinky swear.

One more time:

Inletted/bedded:

DSC_0073.jpg

NOT inletted/bedded:

103_0716.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

If that doesn't clear this up then I don't know what else to tell you.

We done now?

All I know is I SEE MY STOCK IN THAT PIC!!! Hell yeah...getting closer to inletting and bedding.

Good work on the build BTW. Looks great.

I personally saw this stock laying on the shelf in the shop not three weeks ago. No inlet work had been done. I bought a McMillan hunters edge that had been inletted and the first thing Chad did is mix up product and fill the factory inlet so he could run his own program. Was there, saw it with my own eyes. (all except for secret bedding sauce mixture)
    Hope this lays your fears to rest. I remember this stock because I am a lefty and have been trying to find one for my eventual Palma build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I know is I SEE MY STOCK IN THAT PIC!!! Hell yeah...getting closer to inletting and bedding.

Good work on the build BTW. Looks great. </div></div>

I don't see mine....sniff, sniff.
    laugh.gif

Maybe, just maybe, he's savin it for a build thread!!!
    cool.gif

We actually tore it out of the stock yesterday. That biche was STUCK!

Was like two dogs. Had to squirt it with a hose!

I hate that stock btw. The old mcmillan prones were patterned off the annie 1911 stock. 1.350 od receivers have to be bedded proud in order to get the trigger right. We may decide to fiddle with it some to get it on showline like it should be.

We shall see . . .

Chad,
    That bright yellow H&H stock. Ask the owner of that stock if he bought it from a guy in Michigan.

103_0717.jpg

John,

It's not an H/H buddy. It's a Warner Prone. He's had it forever. Alan originally built it for him a long time ago. Were stuffing a Nesika into it next. He just returned from a big match down in AZ so he's all "sexed up" again about Palma.

We've got a handful of these to run through this month and next.

We also picked out our next kiddo for sponsorship. Samantha H. from Michigan. Her folks bought my palma barreled action and I've decided to donated the English Walnut stock I have it fitted to. I think I'm going to gin up my version of a ladder sight as well. We'll go 30mm this time as the 22mm stuff is so "old school" and the 18's are ancient. Will be calling up Sinclair to find the right front Iris for it. Already have the Warner rear for it.

Trying to talk her into letting us ceraKote the B/A stuff in pink but she's being reluctant. This girl is all business! You better watch out next summer cause she's head huntin for a high master card for sure!

Can't wait. . .
    smile.gif

I'm going home. . .

Yes I am familiar with Sam. She is a hell of a shooter and is making the big boys look in their rear view mirrors. Glad to hear you picked her for sponsorship, I do not think you will be disappointed.
    Hey as a side note I am going to be making a 2 week trip out your way mid March. I have stops in Bismarck, Sidney MT, Dads house then down to take you and Kalli out for a engagement dinner. Will contact you with details when I have an exact departure date. Need 2 new barrels on the Palma rifle. Maybe I can be a voyuer while you do your voodoo ?

I'm hoping one of those stocks belongs to me. Fingers crossed!!!

Awesome work as usual Chad!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We actually tore it out of the stock yesterday. That biche was STUCK!

Was like two dogs. Had to squirt it with a hose!

I hate that stock btw. The old mcmillan prones were patterned off the annie 1911 stock. 1.350 od receivers have to be bedded proud in order to get the trigger right. We may decide to fiddle with it some to get it on showline like it should be.

We shall see . . .

I'll give ya first pick of the litter!!!
    grin.gif

It is a "project". Fiddle away my friend, fiddle away!! Throw the "box" away on it if you dare!

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernarde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm hoping one of those stocks belongs to me. Fingers crossed!!!

Awesome work as usual Chad! </div></div>
    Dave, running it right now.

Looks great as usual Chad, is there a green/black laminate stock comin up in the near future? I haven't talked with you in a while thought I would check in.

Yesser! Chipping away on the builds again.

We were stuck for a month or so due to shutting down to run small parts. Was getting really low on screws, pillars, escutcheons, accy rails, cheek hardware, etc.

We filled up the coffers so were in good shape again.

C.

This bugger is almost ready for paint! All the hardware is installed. Just finished bedding the 50BMG build so now I'm back on it. All that's left is the bolt handle inlet and then we get prepped for paint.

On that note: Rick we looked at Ferrari red and compared it to the Viper Red Dodge is using. The Viper is waaaay more vibrant and bright so that's what I went with. Not cheap! 1/2 pint was almost $100 bucks! Thank goodness this is a gunstock and not a car!

Hope to have color on it this weekend.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N.Allen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I know is I SEE MY STOCK IN THAT PIC!!! Hell yeah...getting closer to inletting and bedding.

Good work on the build BTW. Looks great. </div></div>

I don't see mine....sniff, sniff.
    laugh.gif

Maybe, just maybe, he's savin it for a build thread!!!
    cool.gif

</div></div>

I kinda hope to see a build thread with my rifle in it when I check my watched users and see a thread from Chad too.
    whistle.gif

That is a badass "Viper Red Dodge" you chose Chad! The Viper red reminds me when I was in Amsterdam's "Red Light District"
    smile.gif

Excellent work as usual Chad! You take a lot of pride in your work! I can't wait to take her home!

Thanks

-RICK-