• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

L & R Ultrasonic Lubricating Solution

El Viejo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2022
WY
Most ARs (and LRs) like to run wet - at least in my limited experience. Recently, I have been using Go Juice on all the areas that seem to need extra lubrication, and I've been happy with the results in my most recent build. The LR308 is based mostly on Aero upper & lower, WMD gas system, and Ballistic Advantage 18" stainless barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor with a heavybuffers.com EH buffer plus rifle spring in an A5 tube . This is my first AR10/LR308, and I have only about 400 rounds so far - all with a TBAC .30 caliber suppressor. Most of my loads have used H4350 and standard CCI200 primers. So far I've learned two things.
1. This gun shoots very tight groups with 140 gr ELDs, VLDs, and SMKs.
2. 6.5CM in a suppressed gas gun is DIRTY. Even the unfired rounds at the bottom of a mag stack are filthy.

I used a heated ultrasonic cleaner for the nickel-born BCG at about 200 rounds and again at 400. Great results using the L&R Weapons Cleaning Concentrate. Except for the slight color change, it looks brand new. Putting Go Juice back on has been an easy way to go, and most of the carbon gets wiped off in disassembly before going into the ultrasonic the next time.

Where I need some help is advice on re-lubricating after a deep cleaning. Has anybody used the L & R Ultrasonic Lubricating Solution? My thought is that L&R lube in an ultrasonic would get their lube solution back into all the nooks and crannies as well as over all of the large surfaces.

Will the L&R lube make it less likely for the hand applied Go Juice to adhere to the metal?

Is the combination more or less likely to form an enduring film and maintain lubricity?

Will using the L&R product and then Go Juice be less effective than using just the Go Juice by itself?

My knowledge of the chemistry in different lubricants is really limited, and I have no idea whether some combinations are good or bad. Would appreciate any help.

I like to warm up the carrier and bolt with a hair dryer or oven set to the "warm" setting. This can help with the part absorbing the lube you apply. I'm no chemist either, but it seems to work well for me and it's not hot enough to damage parts or coatings. After that application process I just wipe the bolt and carrier off with a blue shop towel or rag of your choice. The crud wipes off usually and reapply lube as needed. I've done this with parkerized carriers, nitride and DLC all gave me similar results. I do the same with the charging handle. It makes everything run and feel a little smoother for me. I see less wear marks on the BCM charging handles I run. So it must be working.

I just wouldn't mix your lubricants. Some do not play well with each other. If your Go Juice is working for you, then stick with it. Some lubes are better with heat and provide protection of your parts. Some do not. Some are better against moisture. That is for you to decide. I run Slip 2000 and have been playing with Frog Lube a little lately. Both fit my needs and work well for me in the AR platforms. If you run a suppressor then you may want to ask the guys that run them and what lube they use. They have more backpressure and carbon from what I have seen. I live in a non free state so my experience is limited to non suppressed firearms.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I'm with Bantam1 , I wouldn't mix those two products.

FWIW, Go-Juice is my preferred lube as well.

May I ask what climate you live in ? Some people in the SW part of the country have said Go-Juice tends to dry out for them.

Thinking more about this subject, I would try mixing the two products on a piece of steel, and look for any issues... IE the 2 mixed together made a runny "mess".. or eventually separated. Stuff like that.

You're over thinking this.

Clean the parts in the ultrasonic and wipe off. Apply whatever lubricant that you have available.

Some lubes will perform better than others but metal does not absorb lubricant. I prefer a light coating of Super Lube grease on the contact points but that's because I have it around the house and I can get more at the local hardware store. Motor oil would work just as well.

Most of my active gas guns (6.5 CM, 6 ARC, and 5.56) get an updated wipe with Go Juice every 3-6 weeks and a deep cleaning in the ultrasonic before they can get really dry. Our climate on the eastern plains of WY is not as dry as the SW, but our winds suck the moisture out of everything.

Maybe if they were used less or spent more time between cleanings, I would have noticed drying.

I have thought about using a hair dryer to deliberately dry different lubes to see if I could feel a difference in lubricity. I have also considered mixing Go Juice with one or more lubes and then repeating the test. Has anybody done that sort of simple testing and reporting it here?

I have also found that Thin Grease (the purple lube made by the same company as Go Juice) works very well on the takedown and pivot pin joints as well the pins themselves. And, it never seems to dry out.

Geissele includes a small packet of Go Juice with each one of their triggers and a picture of the lube points. Since there was so much left over, I started putting it on all the contact points in the BCG, bolt, and the pivot point on the charging handle. Then, when I realized that more than half of the cleaning job was done just by disassembling the bolt and wiping the parts, I switched to using it everywhere.