• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision L3 Filmless specs vs price

psmith23

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2017
Michigan
Looking at several RNVG bino options. One pair is 2700 FOM but has 1.0 EBI and .7 Halo. Tubes look very well matched. Have used mid 1.4 EBI units before so understand the difference but not sure if I should be holding out for a set with better specs given that the FOM is good on these. Paying a slight premium for that is why I am asking what is normal these days with L3 Filmless these days. Appreciate the feedback.

That’s very similar to the specs on my L3. After already waiting a couple months I chose to go with it instead of waiting for a lower EBI. No complaints, it does well in very low light conditions.

I would ignore fom altogether. Any L3 filmless tube that's not a 1701 is going to have good enough resolution. Pay attention to snr, ebi, and halo. The ebi really comes into play if your in really dark conditions like under canopy and cloud cover. In those circumstances the difference between .5 and 1.5 is the difference between being able to navigate without ir or not.

Hasn’t there been numerous threads that say don’t pay attention to the FOM?

EBI really isn't all that critical as its been portrayed in the last couple of years. If you look at the spread of 31A tubes the major vendors offer, many have EBIs over 1.5 in one tube while the other is well under 1.

If a EBI of .7 vs 1.5 made such a difference, then you would not see factory 31As with such "matched" sets or a milspec maximum set at 2.5.

Reactions: jwramp
That's interesting to hear since I have been told that EBI differences can be pronounced in low light. But definitely get your point. Assuming equal tubes in other specs which would be 'better' spec tubes. Ones with 37 S/N and 1.0 EBI or 32 S/N and .7 EBI?

It's hard to know because most people don't have enough data points. I have thin films both with low 30s snr. One is .8 ebi and the other is 1.5. When it's really dark there's a noticeable difference. My wife's filmless is 37snr/.6 ebi and it crushes either of them. Keep in mind I'm talking under heavy canopy and cloud cover conditions. Take either one of those away and the difference is much less noticeable.

EBI really isn't all that critical as its been portrayed in the last couple of years. If you look at the spread of 31A tubes the major vendors offer, many have EBIs over 1.5 in one tube while the other is well under 1.

If a EBI of .7 vs 1.5 made such a difference, then you would not see factory 31As with such "matched" sets or a milspec maximum set at 2.5.

In very dark conditions and not using supplemental ir ebi differences are very noticeable.

If you have some lighting or use ir then it really doesn’t matter as much.

Yes you will notice it, not arguing that. But it's not something that I'd quantify as say more than 10-15% "better".

You walk around and you see a fox/racoon scurry across on the trail 100 yards away. That lower ebi is not going to be the difference between you detecting the movement or not.

You're moving along 200mph at low altitude in a black hawk along a mountain range, starlight, that's a little bit may be the difference.

EBI is also affected by temperature. If its like the heat wave out now and or you live in tropical climate, EBI values will be a consideration. The closer you hit freezing, the close the EBI of all tubes hit 0. If you're using them during the winter, you're not going to see much a EBI relayed performance difference between tubes.

BUT, if you ever decide to sell your tubes. I know which one would be easier to sell. So alot of factors, even those outside of tube performance may need to be considered.

That’s fair in that the tubes I’ve had experience with I’d say 10-15% better is about right. It’s noticeable when paying that much for a tube but the higher ebi ones were perfectly serviceable.