• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

L3Harris CNVD-LR (PVS-24LR/M2124LR)?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
I am basically on a Feral Hog Jihad with a Feral Dog problem among cows with newborn calves. TARGET IDENTIFICATION is paramount. I am in East Texas so, humidity and light pollution are tangible issues. My primary pasture has a 200 yard tree line and the other is ~400 yards. I'm running an SR-15 LPR with ACOG primarily during the day for cow chasing dogs. I was running an LWRC Six8 with a prior generation FLIR thermal at night but, that fat gal isn't feeling much love today!

I have waffled between a Refurb PVS-30 (~$6K) and an NVision Halo-LR/X50 (~$8K). I'm reconsidering the thermal option, thinking I really am better off with night vision even with light pollution (bare porch lights, sodium lights on gravel driveways, town ~3 miles away, etc.).

I'm thinking clip-on because I want to cross-share with the SR-15 and an SR-25 (I don't see a 338 Lapua bolt action for hogs in my future FWIW at the ranges I shoot). Also want to keep my primary day optic in place. SR-25 optics are likely a 4x16x56 Hensholdt (initially) but, 1x10 or 2.5x~10 LPVO is a likely scope change in ~6 months.

I'm thinking the L3Harris CNVD-LR (PVS-24LR) as sold by TNVC might be the sweet spot for me today at a nominal cost of ~$10.5K. Dropping a pound of weight would be good as the SR-25 with a can and day optic is going to be heavy and I don't want to overwhelm my SR-15 with needless weight if I find myself plinking Coyotes or Feral Dogs at night. I realize if I keep the ACOG on the SR-15, I will have a bit of miss-match there.

Am I on the right track?
  • Really good target id?
  • Ranges to 400 yards today, possibly longer or shorter in the future?
  • Use in high humidity, hot, cold, 1/4 moon, etc.?
  • Weight trade-offs?
  • Recoil; at least 7.62x51 but mid-bore magnums would be nice?
  • Other?
Have I dismissed thermals prematurely?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I should note I have limited experience with traditional night vision with a set PVS-7B bins and older Gen 2+ and Gen 3 (early OMNI) PV-4's.

The FLIR thermal I ran was the prior generation to the 12-micrometer core current-generation systems (35mm?, not the smallest one, 19mm?).

For SR-25 optics, I have Hensholdt and S&B 4x16 scopes and a Hensholdt 6x24-72 as options today along with some Nightforce options (big high power optics on Bolt Actions). A newer generation ~3.5x~25x42 is probably a better option for the clip-on though.

TIA,
Sid

For me, for 400 yard coyote shooting any clip on would have to have a risley prism for true repeatability. That’s your CNVD-LR or PVS30 in night vision or UTC or LWTS-LR in thermal. You’ll need a good illuminator for the 24-LR or 30.

clip ons that require user “collimation” are actually sighting in the screen, meaning their repeatability is as good or bad as the return to zero ability of their mount. In most cases, that’s good enough for defensive use to a few hundred yards but coyotes are small targets so...

Another good option would be a dedicated night upper with either a Halo or Tig that stays mounted most of the time. No repeatability issues.

Ive used a Halo LR for positive ID of coyotes among cattle on numerous occasions past 400 yards. Watching the animal’s behavior is a critical part of PID at those ranges.

Ive used a Halo LR for positive ID of coyotes among cattle on numerous occasions past 400 yards. Watching the animal’s behavior is a critical part of PID at those ranges.
Yes, animal behavior was something I had to learn well with that older FLIR I used as most images could best be described as blobs with poor body detail and head recognition.

except on the darkest nights or really tall grass you'd be fine with a pvs and a scope that gets you between 6 and ten power. thats what i have run on hogs and dogs out to about 500 and neverhad an ID worry. ive just gotten a tigIR (first thermal). hope to get out and shoot some stuff with it and side by side compare in the next couple weeks

Reactions: Sid Post
except on the darkest nights or really tall grass you'd be fine with a pvs and a scope that gets you between 6 and ten power. thats what i have run on hogs and dogs out to about 500 and neverhad an ID worry. ive just gotten a tigIR (first thermal). hope to get out and shoot some stuff with it and side by side compare in the next couple weeks
Waiting for a user review and comparison! :geek: