• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Labor Day BBQ

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    Hope you deplorable are enjoying today as much as I am

Party and BBQ....hope I am still sober by the time the guests come!

Some beautiful Black Angus Beef ribs/St.Louis Pork Ribs and Turkey Breast

Black Angus Beef Ribs.jpg

St. Louis Ribs.jpg

Turkey Breast.jpg

Come on now!! Want to hear some cooking details! 3-2-1 method on the ribs or what?

Beef Ribs - Simple slather ( a secret) / 50/50 mix of Coarse Salt and Coarse Pepper/Cook in smoker until 203 degrees / Rest tented in tin foil for 30 minutes...melt in your mouth good
    Pork Ribs - Different slather / Dry rub that I make myself / 2 hours smoke / Spritz and light coating of homemade BBQ sauce and cook for 30 more minutes / Remove from smoker and spritz again. Wrap with foil / put into oven set at 275 for final 2 hours of cook. No sense in using a smoker for final cooking since the ribs are wrapped and won't take any further smoke.
    Turkey Breast - Slather / same rub as pork / put in smoker for 2.5-3 hours / remove and ru b a little butter over surface and tent in foil to rest for 30 minutes....serve with a white BBQ sauce.

Sausage and peppers with onions, mac and cheese, potatoe salad, mac salad, and plenty of beer

Reactions: Nik H
    Ive found whats old is new to me this year.

Shaving with an old school double edge razor now.

Got my 1941 designed pour over Chemex coffee maker and with a sample size of 3 cups I think its what has been missing in my coffee life.

and last month on vacation the place we stayed at only had a charcoal BBQ.

Having lived the last 40 years or so with a propane existence I am now realizing I have wasted 40 years eating sub par food that could have been cooked over flavor enhancing pieces of wood.

I fear there is a muzzle loader in my future.

Any ideas what to do with a beef tenderloin? I bought it to cut steaks and vac seal / freeze because it’s about half the cost of buying steaks. I may try something different with a hunk of it.

Reactions: TACC
    Ca
    Any ideas what to do with a beef tenderloin? I bought it to cut steaks and vac seal / freeze because it’s about half the cost of buying steaks. I may try something different with a hunk of it.
    Carpaccio.

I’ll be spending my time trying to get home to Charleston SC before a mandatory lane reversal in preparation for Dorian. You guys enjoy and drink one for me. ?

Reactions: jungle45 and TACC

Tie it and make a nice chateaubriand....which is a fancy way of saying a roast made with tenderloin.
    1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Trim the visible fat off the tenderloin and leave it on the counter so it comes up to room temperature.
    2. Take half cup of peppercorns and put them in a ziplock bag and run a rolling pin over them to crush them.
    3. Place the tenderloin on a roasting rack. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt and and 2 teaspoons of sugar, which will deepen the savory flavors.
    4. Press the crushed peppercorns all over the surface of the meat. Insert a meat thermometer and place in the oven until the beef registers 120 to 125 degrees F for medium-rare/rare. Beef will probably cook in 20 to 25 minutes depending on its temp before it goes in the oven.
    5. While the meat is roasting, melt the 1 stick of butter with 4 cloves of crushed and chopped garlic in a small skillet, and allow the butter to slightly brown. Remove the garlic and discard.
    6. Remove the meat when it's done and pour the garlic butter over gently (it should sizzle when it hits the meat). Cover the meat loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
    Pour a beer and enjoy

Another good option is to sous vide the tenderloin and then sear the outside.

Always tasty.

Any good rub works for that.

Probably easier to use @Nik H recipe on short notice. Plus it sounds delicious.
    Gonna put that in my recipe list.

Reactions: Barneybdb
    pork carnitas here in central TX. Smoked a butt roast and then cut up and put in the intstant pot for 35 minutes.

Scallop recipe please.

Patted Dry Scallops (I give'm a bit of a squeeze in paper towels), Lemon Pepper, Sea Salt. Hot frying pan, and I mean HOT ! 1/2 stick of butter and fresh crushed garlic. Turn on fan, open windows and doors, and sear the ever loving crap outta them for 25-30 seconds. Squeeze some fresh lemon over them and gorge !!

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
    Nice. 25-30 seconds per side? Love me some seared scallops.
    I have a grill burner on my Genesis and a couple super hot propane burners for camp cooking as to not smoke out the house!

Im still needing to keep workin on how Steven Reichlen does his on the grill. Really want to perfect it.
    Only tried once and the snow storm got so bad the grill kinda was dying.....

Bacon wrapped scallops...... mmmm
    Need to try again.

I have a grill burner on my Genesis and a couple super hot propane burners for camp cooking as to not smoke out the house!

Im still needing to keep workin on how Steven Reichlen does his on the grill. Really want to perfect it.

Need to try again.

Yes, per side. YMMV so check maybe one of them in 20. Obviously if you pull them outta the fridge and plop'm directily into the pan all bets are off. Don't be afraid to let them rest on a towel for a few after giving them a light squeeze in the the paper towel. Thank me later.......

Last edited:
    Tenderloin.

Don't know where my pictures went but.

Beef tenderloin or venison back strap
    Cook about the same for me
    If smoker is going I rub them with dry rub put them whole into smoker near the fire box opening for a sear on all sides about 3-4 minutes rotate1/4 turn.

Take off heat and add a little butter wrap tight in foil. Let rest you can check temp wth a probe right through the foil.

Nice sear and pink all the way even accross . If anyone wants a slice ruined put it on by its self.

you could have said pbr after lots of beer aND bbq and I would still be drooling

Need to try again.

Use a cast iron pan. Smokin hot

Yes. Plan is to use cast on an outdoor burner.

I really do want to dial up the bacon wrapped ones like Reichlen made on a show once.

That steak or pork? If steak, it is a bit well done isn't it

Yes. Thanks for reminding me, dammit. The Meat Shop was closed so I had to pick up some nasty ass t-bones that were thin as hell from Freddy's. They cooked off FAST and hands down the worse meal I've made on my Traeger so far. And that's really hard to do. Got home VERY late for Din Din and might have been Liquor distracted, momentarily. :ROFLMAO: But ya, WAY over done for my liking.

Yes. Thanks for reminding me, dammit. The Meat Shop was closed so I had to pick up some nasty ass t-bones that were thin as hell from Freddy's. They cooked off FAST and hands down the worse meal I've made on my Traeger so far. And that's really hard to do. Got home VERY late for Din Din and might have been Liquor distracted, momentarily. :ROFLMAO: But ya, WAY over done for my liking.

Now I feel better

• Haha
    Reactions: 1J04