• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LabRadar Bench Mount Troubles

ThePretzel

Mr. Anonymous Bread Product
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
Colorado
I'm having some really annoying problems with the LabRadar bench mount. The small plate that attaches to the LabRadar itself and then attaches to the base plate will not stay tight, no matter what I do. I'm referring to the little piece that you tighten down with a thumb screw.

I've tried tightening it with a wrench, I've tried babying the LabRadar to make sure it never twists, and I've even tried Loctite on the screw that goes into the LabRadar. None of them work and the LabRadar will start wobbling even if all I do is set it next to my rifle and shoot (with a muzzle brake).

I'm honestly really confused about how to prevent that little screw on the plastic plate from backing out of the LabRadar device. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix it?

Weird, I dont have that issue with mine and use mine 3 days a week for over a year now. Are you talking about the screw that secures the mounting plate to the bottom of the LabRadar?

Weird, I dont have that issue with mine and use mine 3 days a week for over a year now. Are you talking about the screw that secures the mounting plate to the bottom of the LabRadar?
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The plate comes loose even if I crank it down tight, then just walk 30-40 feet while carrying it normally.

I shoot at a large indoor range that has a bit of a walk to the actual range underground from the parking lot and lobby area, and I've had it nearly fall off multiple times where it would have fallen off if I hadn't been paying attention. This happens if you carry it attached to the plate (holding the LabRadar, so the plate would be what falls).

Wait your carrying it by this screw?
No, I carry it by holding the LabRadar itself, using by hooking my fingers into the slots at the top of the device. It's convenient to just leave the entire stand attached when carrying the device because it means one less thing to hold.

Just walking around holding the device and stand causes the plate attached to the LabRadar to work its way off.

I dont believe that little brass insert is meant to hold the base for walking around but maybe I'm wrong.

I leave the base adapter installed on my labradar and it's all in a Pelican.. I've never had it come loose in easily 1000+ uses

I dont believe that little brass insert is meant to hold the base for walking around but maybe I'm wrong.

I leave the base adapter installed on my labradar and it's all in a Pelican.. I've never had it come loose in easily 1000+ uses
Regardless, the base is coming loose even if I just use it while shooting.

I tighten it down before shooting, and by the time I'm done you can wobble the LabRadar all over the place because the screw in the base adapter has backed out by at least a quarter of an inch. This is shooting suppressed with the LabRadar placed back by the scope's windage turret, so there isn't muzzle blast that's hitting it and shaking it loose.

Regardless, the base is coming loose even if I just use it while shooting.

I tighten it down before shooting, and by the time I'm done you can wobble the LabRadar all over the place because the screw in the base adapter has backed out by at least a quarter of an inch. This is shooting suppressed with the LabRadar placed back by the scope's windage turret, so there isn't muzzle blast that's hitting it and shaking it loose.
Try a little teflon tape on the threads, easier to work with than loc-tite.

R

Reactions: 6gunner
Go to rrssoar.com, go to the plates section, chronograph sub-section on the website and there is a anti-twist plate that works awesome with the Labradar. You can pair it with a TFA-Ultra and BC-18 ballhead and it’s pretty awesome.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Pocket-Pod-Packages?quantity=1&custcol34=1&custcol35=12
1AA13EA1-578D-46C4-B3F8-9AFBE59B848A.png7A1A7DE5-C0D0-49AD-9B6D-F56BE7044F94.png

Reactions: thestacche
It should. I believe the ballhead that comes with the stand package has a screw knob clamp that closes on RRS Dovetail and acraswiss style plates. The plate also has a flush mount under it so you can carry it with a sling.

LabRadar got back to me. I took a video to show them the problem of me carrying the LabRadar (just holding the baseplate like a pizza platter) from my car to my door. In that walk (maybe 200 feet in total?) the LabRadar had worked itself loose enough that the little adapter plate was about to fall off the LabRadar.

They said it's definitely not supposed to do that and that they haven't seen it before, so I'll be sending it in for a fix.

LabRadar got back to me. I took a video to show them the problem of me carrying the LabRadar (just holding the baseplate like a pizza platter) from my car to my door. In that walk (maybe 200 feet in total?) the LabRadar had worked itself loose enough that the little adapter plate was about to fall off the LabRadar.

They said it's definitely not supposed to do that and that they haven't seen it before, so I'll be sending it in for a fix.

Is your Labradar still under warranty? Mine isn't that bad.

Is your Labradar still under warranty? Mine isn't that bad.
I believe so, but I'm not entirely certain. I don't know whether it ever was officially purchased since it was dealer stock that we began to use for in-house load testing, so I don't know when the 1-year period would official start in that case.

I purchased my Labradar, with base and bag last year, and the ball head part would never stay tight against the orange plate.
I ended up putting some double sided tape on the bottom of the ball head section and installing a lock washer ( the kind with all the tiny teeth around the perimeter). It seems to have solved the problem.
Scott

I picked up one of these a few months back and glad that i did.....Arkco Machine Labradar Base
That's actually a pretty slick design in that it folds up underneath the LabRadar to store it in a case or bag. I've got access to a machine shop, so I might just make my own design like that since it'll be cheaper for me than shipping the LabRadar to and from the company and I don't need to ever put it on a tripod with the Arca Swiss style mount.