• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Labradar or Magneto speed rental - Tampa Area?

ufg8rmike

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2018
Anyone know of a place, range, etc that has a quality chrono available for a quick 5-10 shot string? I need a quick avg muzzle velocity suppressed to have Leupold customize a dial for a new VX6HD. I’ll never use a chrono for anything else?

Mike,
Call the guys at the manatee range. I bet someone would be willing to help you. Im on the east coast so I am too far to be of assistance.

Thanks, I made a call a couple weeks ago. I’ll prob have to just show up one day and see if I can befriend anyone. I may just go adead an pick up a Labradar, At 500 bucks, I can think of a many number of things I need more right now.

Thanks, I made a call a couple weeks ago. I’ll prob have to just show up one day and see if I can befriend anyone. I may just go adead an pick up a Labradar, At 500 bucks, I can think of a many number of things I need more right now.
I picked up my LR a few months back. I never setup without it now. I can't imagine shooting without it.

I would stay away from custom dials or reticles and just go mil reticle and mil dials. I think you'll see some annoying things if you try the scope that is customized to one load.
Agreed, save your money.

Agreed, save your money.

They're "free" with purchase. While you may need a few clicks here or there for environmental factors, they are surprisingly accurate. Minute of deer easily.

Consider the inexpensive Magnetospeed. Simplifies load development, I bought a V3 3-4 years ago, wish I had one 25yrs ago when I first started reloading. Hard to get good groups with a high SD/ES. Wasted time, powder, and bullets prior to owning one.

Consider the inexpensive Magnetospeed. Simplifies load development, I bought a V3 3-4 years ago, wish I had one 25yrs ago when I first started reloading. Hard to get good groups with a high SD/ES. Wasted time, powder, and bullets prior to owning one.
I read somewhere that it was hard to get group information with a Magneto attached to a barrel. Any opinions here?

I read somewhere that it was hard to get group information with a Magneto attached to a barrel. Any opinions here?

Indeed it will. Alters barrel harmonics when attached.

Either use a different chronograph that doesn’t attach to the barrel, or purchase one of these:

Disagree somewhat. The effects of the Magnetospeed are repeatable, you can still shoot groups with a magnetospeed on you’ll just notice a slight poi shift when it’s removed. I’m not saying it has no impact on barrel harmonics, it’s just not that big of a deal. Takes less a minute to take it on/off if you already have it pre-adjusted with the right spacers in.

Not at all. Case in point:
I bought a new 6br bbl 1:10 Krieger (heavy varmint contour) for my AI/AX for varminting. I had one day for load testing and used Varget, XBR8208, and IMR4895 with 87gr vMax, 88 gr Berger , and some 75gr vmaxes. made 15 of each, 2 5 shot groups to chrono and one 5 shot for groups. The winner was 88gr Bergers at 2989fps, SD=1.8. It will group .5 with a Chrono and 6.5 Ultra can. The rest were in the SD=5 (32.0 varget,75 gr vmax 3299, and 2969 87gr vmax 8208. SD 10 still around .5". So it was make 550 rounds of 88gr bergers made for the varminting trip the following week.

A can affects your barrel harmonics as well, some people shoot sub .4s with their precision cans. I dont much care where the group is on the paper, as long as it's small. BTW, this was load #96 I started chronoing around load 41. (across 6 or 7 calibers).

I wrote a labelling program that contains the load data. The label gets affixed to the ammo box and targets hung downrange. Other than eventual barrel wear and conditions, I can visually review the 9 loads made when I get back to the bench in the quieter winter months.

A handful of guys not seeing a POI difference does not make a consensus. Every barrel is different and will behave differently.

The simple truth is that yes, it does make a difference - how small or large that may turn out to be. It is a temporary variable that is present only while testing (bayonet attached). If you opt to selectively ignore whatever variables you deem fit then that is a truly shitty way to gather - and even worse, DISTRIBUTE - false information on the Internet.

There are multiple examples of the Magnetospeed changing POI randomly over various sites out there, along with my experience supporting the same conclusion. This is the very reason that David Tubb developed his product!

A handful of guys not seeing a POI difference does not make a consensus. Every barrel is different and will behave differently.

The simple truth is that yes, it does make a difference - how small or large that may turn out to be. It is a temporary variable that is present only while testing (bayonet attached). If you opt to selectively ignore whatever variables you deem fit then that is a truly shitty way to gather - and even worse, DISTRIBUTE - false information on the Internet.

There are multiple examples of the Magnetospeed changing POI randomly over various sites out there, along with my experience supporting the same conclusion. This is the very reason that David Tubb developed his product!
This is why I like this forum, good information!

just ponied up and bought the Labradar, for 500 bucks I can’t believe the damn thing doesn’t come with a case or a stand.

just ponied up and bought the Labradar, for 500 bucks I can’t believe the damn thing doesn’t come with a case or a stand.

It's also going to eat AA batteries like a mofo. Might as well invest in a rechargeable USB battery pack while you are at it.