• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Labradar target alignment question

Sooner Sniper

Shooting Enthusiast
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2020
COLORADO
Anyone tried using a laser bore sighter to help align their Labradar to the target? Alignment with the target is my single biggest challenge with the Labradar. Once I have it aligned, really no issues. I currently have a 2 inch piece of 3/16" brass pipe taped to the top of mine, which is better than the factory BS sight, but still far from fool proof. Wondering if a bore sighter might just be the ticket.

Thanks in advance for any insights/experience anyone cares to share!

I found a 3d printed pic rail for the LabRadar on eBay and put an inexpensive Red Dot sight on it. Problem solved

Attachments

• 6D6E84AE-8EA8-4154-8F5B-6AF91C2E27F3.jpeg
    6D6E84AE-8EA8-4154-8F5B-6AF91C2E27F3.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 45
  • BDB99B78-84F6-428E-B5C8-39EAE19A26CA.jpeg
    BDB99B78-84F6-428E-B5C8-39EAE19A26CA.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 49
Anyone tried using a laser bore sighter to help align their Labradar to the target?

You have a bore sighting laser that can reach/be seen at 50 or 100 yds??? None of the ones I have tried in the past would do for this.

And, I'm not sure what problems you could be having aiming the labradar at your target? Yes, it needs to be pointed in the right direction but, IME, no they don't need to be aimed +/- an inch??

I use an MK Machining sight but just gluing a piece of pipe (as you have done), or piece of even just a drinking straw, does essentially the same thing. I just put my eye up to the tube, center my 100 yd target in the tube, and that's its.

Can you expound on the issues you are having aiming your unit using that piece of 3/16 pipe?

I just close one eye: stare down the middle of the sight from a few degrees above to make sure my left right is good and then bring my eye down level with the sight to see that my up down is good.

Reactions: Baron23
The issue isn't perceived. It could be because I'm primarily using it at an indoor range. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've had any trouble with it the couple of times I've used it outside. I thought about the pic rail/red dot route, which I may do, but I already have the bore sight, so I'm going to give it a try and see how it works next time I head to the range.

I just close one eye: stare down the middle of the sight from a few degrees above to make sure my left right is good and then bring my eye down level with the sight to see that my up down is good.

I do the same thing exept I step back like five feet.

Beamwidth = 7.6° x 18.5° (Transmit) so it is not a 1" dot at 100 yards you dont need a optic to line it up.

The issue isn't perceived. It could be because I'm primarily using it at an indoor range. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've had any trouble with it the couple of times I've used it outside. I thought about the pic rail/red dot route, which I may do, but I already have the bore sight, so I'm going to give it a try and see how it works next time I head to the range.

I have used it in an indoor 75' pistol range and the only open point was next to the wall, I assumed there would be issues
but it worked just fine.

Try lowering the output power when indoors.

I use a straw from Mac and Don's Supper Club, it's worked just fine for me. In higher winds I tape it down in the notch.

Last edited:
i just use the little notch on the top and works fine for me. I find using it at 50 yards works best also.

I found a 3d printed pic rail for the LabRadar on eBay and put an inexpensive Red Dot sight on it. Problem solved
A question if I might, how do you determine if the red dot is aimed at the center of the target you are shooting at. When the red dot is mounted on a rifle you adjust the red dot to cover a bullet hole which is of course the aiming point. Given that the LR doesn't create any physical marks on the target, how do you adjust it to center on the target.
Just curious.

A question if I might, how do you determine if the red dot is aimed at the center of the target you are shooting at. When the red dot is mounted on a rifle you adjust the red dot to cover a bullet hole which is of course the aiming point. Given that the LR doesn't create any physical marks on the target, how do you adjust it to center on the target.
Just curious.
Is a ~7x18 degree beamwidth, so is centering up the beam on the target area not a bullet hole. When I set a friends up I used a speed square to line it up on a target at 100 yards then locked it down with the ball head. I then adjusted the cheapo red dot to the center of the target.

With a good range that doesn't have a lot of "noise" source reflections, tracking .22 LR to 100 yards is doable.

Reactions: max1840
I ordered the pic mount and a $40 low profile pistol laser sight that has almost 700 5 star reviews. It might not be necessary, but if it works and takes the guess work out of setting the unit up it will be well worth the $65. I will let you know how it works once I get the parts and have a chance to test it. If it doesn't work, I can always return the laser sight.

I used the cap from a Bic pen for awhile but muzzle brake blast would sometimes blow off the masking tape that held it down. Eventually picked up the MK Machining sight and it's great. I saw some 3d print files that I thought about using, but pressing "buy" on the MKM sight was easier.

I ordered the pic mount and a $40 low profile pistol laser sight that has almost 700 5 star reviews. It might not be necessary, but if it works and takes the guess work out of setting the unit up it will be well worth the $65. I will let you know how it works once I get the parts and have a chance to test it. If it doesn't work, I can always return the laser sight.
Personally, I think you are trying to solve the wrong issue and your problems stem from interference/reflections in an indoor range.

On the other hand, it’s something to do and you’ll end up w a keen red dot so there is that.

Cheers and best of luck.

The pic rail and Red Dot decreased my setup time and made it a lot easier to “spot check” that my LabRadar is properly aligned. (Wind and Bumps to the LabRadar can be a PIA).

As @6.5SH has pointed out, the LabRadar has a generous beam width to work with. I used a small framing square laid in the Notch to line up the LabRadar originally. I then attached the Red Dot and adjusted windage and elevation to line up the Dot with the Target; rechecking alignment with the small framing square to verify co-alignment. I take the Red Dot Off of the Pic Rail when I pack up and reinstall the next time I set up at the range. No problems thus far with repeatability. As always, My experience only; You results may vary.

Regards
JHC

Last edited:
An inertia trigger and don’t worry about it ever again.

You can even get a very long 2.5mm cable and run it off barricades and such.

I’ve seen several the microphones weren’t working right or needed repairing. So I just always run the trigger now.