• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ladder test interpretation needed. maybe made a mistake.....

Tonmarchelli

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Surprise, AZ
I recently switched from Hornady to berger so i needed to start my load development over again. had a pretty good recipe for the hornadys but they were becoming difficult to find and I happen to live close to bruno's shooting supply and they had boxes and boxes of bergers. I performed a ladder test to start getting a load. but not sure of the results.

Heres the particulars.

Rifle: Remington 700 Sendero II in 300 WinMag.
round: Berger 210 vld seated .005 off the lands using Forster Ultra micrometer seating die.
H1000 powder
Range: 420 yards. slightly down hill. approx 105 degrees and fairly breezy

the tests were performed individually, not round robin style. A spotter marked each shot so everything is accurate.

The mistake im thinking i made is that i may not have gone high enough in my charges. my research showed that max charge for 210 vld is 76gr. I went one higher on my increments but never saw pressure signs. so im worried i may have left my upper node somewhere above 76gr.

heres the pics. what do you think? the best i can get from this is that im probably around 75.5-76.0

also. if you can stretch it out to get more spread on your ladder. Try 600 yards. It should tell you a little more about what is going on.

Why stop at 76.5? Any pressure signs? Hodgdons max is 78.0C. Looks to me you are missing the high node.

I would shoot another ladder and continue upward till you hit pressure. 2800 with a 210 is leaving a lot on the table with H-1000. I'll bet you'll see another node in the upper velocity ranges

thanks all for the help, I think ill load up one more test. really not sure why I didnt end up going higher. brain fart i guess..... ill run another test starting around 74gr and go up to 79, and run until i see signs of pressure. We can get to 600 yards where we shoot. will report back when done. hoping to go out in the next few weeks.

thanks

I would shoot at least 2 rounds of each powder charge at the target for a ladder test just to give a little more info... Thats what I do, helps me..