• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing lady gun.

obilly

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2012
south dakota
I have an A bolt action that has worn out 2 22-250 barrels and a 22 CF can to match it.
I am about to finish my 300 Rum build and now I need a weapon a girlfriend would enjoy shooting. It needs to be able to kill @ 400 and ring steel @ 1200. A Mile would be best but I know that’s asking a lot from a 22. So any thoughts?

22-250 with a 30 in 1-7 creager for the 90 gr VLDs’? 22-243 with the same? Something in .204?

I don’t care about barrel life or round cost. I want something that she can use to keep up with the 300 but still enjoy shooting and carrying. I know the 6.5s could do it but I cringe at the idea of buying yet another can and more so at the thought of setting one on the shelf. Can a gunsmith modify a can (legally)

If you're going 22, scrap the 30". Useless and hard to carry. Don't know about 90 gr. because they were scarce when I was playing but the 224 TTH or 22-6mm will push a 75 Amax thru an 8 twist 3650 no prob.

6.5 would be a better choice for 1200. As far as the can goes, I don't think bore dia. is on the form. Any machinist/gunsmith should be able to ream it. Best check with a cl3 dealer.

Good advice would be to check the baffle design. I doubt it is a K baffle but if it is, you could run into some wall thickness issues.

why do you say the 30 is useless? I guess I usually order them for the extra velocity and when the time comes I can nip an inch off both ends and add another 800 rounds (or so) to the barrel life. Am I off base?
also its not a k baffle but I checked with the guy that made mine. He was so suspicious of the question I think he figured me for some kind of ATF spy or something haha. long story short, sounds like modifying a can is as bad as moding a sear for auto.

obilly, your orig. post says you don't care about bbl life. Anything over about 26" will give you no significant vel. increase in 22 cal. unless you run a multiplex powder charge. I was just had a vision of a small woman lugging a truck axle thru the woods;-)

Seems Dracozny found the answer to your can Q. Though I doubt many agents carry calipers.

thank you for the knowledge gentlemen.

the truck axle visual made me laugh. good point, I guess the brl nip trick was why I don't really care about barrel life. maybe a 28 in medium-light bl and still get a nip out of it? will a 22-250AI or the 223 WSSM with a max load push a 90 gr smk over the 3500-3800 mark?

any one have luck with the JAE gun stocks? are they lighter than the McMillan a5? can they be made to fit an A-bolt with some magazine modifications?

by the way, I put a caliper on my can and the only thing I would need to change is the exit hole and only by a few millionths (the first round would fit but the second round would fit a little better :) the can itself will defiantly take the pressure of a 6.5 though it might get loud. the thing that would get me in trouble is that the can says .22 on it. the bureaucratic part about this is that if I change a 30-06 onto a 338 LM the ATF wouldn't bat an eye but I knock the paint off my 22 can and slap it on a 6.5 I land myself in prison and make headlines. (dangerous gun nut making his own suppressors) oy. Long story short if I end up going bigger I will probably go with another .30 can for versatility and deal with the DB reduction loss. (lesson learned)

You're asking a lot of the 22cal for that. Sure it can be done but something like a 260ai would do a much better job.