• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lake city 7.62 brass

Re: lake city 7.62 brass

Thick wall than commercial brass.

You should reduce powder charge 1.0 gr from normal charge due to internal capacity was smaller than others.

I've found the necks to be pretty consistent on thickness with the lot that I have, LC 70, about .015 like my Lapua. When I neck turn them I have less new neck than old.

Skolz,

One word of caution here; try to stick to brass with a known pedigree. LR brass was most likely used in bolt guns or semi autos with reasonably close chambers. Your standard, run of the mill LC brass was more likely used in an M60, M240 or one of the other 7.62 MG variants. Here, there's a potential problem. Headspace issues, severe case stretching or bulging and drastically shortened future lifespan as a result of that first firing. At the very least, I'd suggest that your first resizing of once-fired LC brass be done with a Small Base die. This should eliminate many of the potential problems you'll have trying to size with just a standard Full Length sizing die.

Kevin, thanks for the info. I was looking at what I thought was new brass, turned out to be some that the bullets had been pulled. Not that big of deal just not wanting to dick with the primer crimps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skolz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> not wanting to dick with the primer crimps. </div></div>

I use 10% Winchester and 90% LC brass for my 308s, the LC brass is solid.
Winchester 308 WIN brass is gone (as I'm sure everybody knows) but I just bought brass from these guys

http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloading-supplies/product_details.php?item_id=88

1000 LC 7.62 once fired cases for about $300
-cleaned, de-primed, de-crimped, full length sized and trimmed

Just posting this to give guys another option if they're looking for brass, I have no affiliation or anything like that.

I just picked up 1000 pieces of 7.62 Lake City brass from Wideners for $259. It's listed as LC NATO brass that was pulled down, still primed.

Much to my surprise, about 75% was actually LC LR brass. I culled out a few that had crushed necks or other deformities, but overall I think that's a decent price and all I did was do a quick neck size and it's ready for powder and a bullet. Nice brass overall.

MD2Colo, thanks that is just what I was looking for.
Purdue, thats the brass that started this post!

Lake City is great brass. LC LR brass is match brass and is shot out of rifles or in your case meant to be shot out of rifles. It also used to be marked "LC MATCH" but they changed it to LC LR and it doesn't have a crimp like the non-LR LC brass other wise it's exactly the same. The key difference between LC brass and lower quality brasses such as Win/Fed/etc. is that the LC brass has a thicker web which is why it has less volume and weighs more.

Mine isn't match brass but it was never fired, bullets pulled and powder dumped. I got it, deprimed it all and work in batches of 100. I got 2000 for around 200 bones.

Skolz,

"pull-down" brass is an entirely different issue, and should be good stuff. As I mentioned, it's the firing in an MG that really tears up much of what's sold as surplus brass. In this case, that doesn't apply, and it's "new" brass. The primer crimps have to be dealt with, but it's really no big deal. Besides, it's a one-time thing, and after that the cases are no different than commercial brass that wasn't crimped. If you're goling to be dealing with a lot of military brass, do yourself a favor and get a Dillon SuperSwage 600 for about $100 or so. Easiest, fastest and best way to remove crimps, and worth every penny.

Dillon SuperSwage 600 is SOOOOOO worth the money if you are going to be doing more that 100 pieces! The RCBS swaging die sucks monkey balls.