• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Laminate your form 4?

Re: Laminate your form 4?

Protect it? Get a couple color copies made when you get it for carrying in the range bag and gun case, then keep the original in an envelope in the safe, never remove it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Protect it? Get a couple color copies made when you get it for carrying in the range bag and gun case, then keep the original in an envelope in the safe, never remove it. </div></div>

^^ WHAT THE MAN SAID!! ^^

No need to risk anything happening to the original by carrying it around, laminating it, etc. Put it away in the safe or somewhere else that is VERY secure and leave it there!

x3. do not laminate any signed government documents. Lock it up and carry a copy.

Ok, i already got 5the copies and 2 minitures made to throw in the box with the can, just was wondering about the orgional. Do they need to be color?

I burned a copy, keep orignal in safe. Both are in binders, each form and entire trust is in acid free document protectors. Basically, I have a color copy protected, with me, and original duplicate in safe.

You can have a copy of it shrunken down to wallet size, and carry the laminated copy with you, that way you have it all the time.

Keep the original in a safety deposit box or similar.

I got kicked out of Kinko's for copying a stamps - Yes the Form 4 tax stamp - LOL, true story, 10 years ago before we all had laser printers, OK well at least before I had one.

Yes LOTS OF COPIES!!!!!!!!!!

I made HD scans of all Form 1 & 4s.
Then I laminated them all and used the HD scanned images to make laminated wallet cards.
If it ever came down to it, any LEO could contact the BATF&E with my name and case number to validate.

FWIW,
I have never had anyone challenge me on any NFA items.
When you know your shit and can cite NFA law better than most LEOs, it doesn't arouse suspicion.

Do not laminate. Keep the original in safe place.

No problem laminating a copy. I keep shrunken copies with my range stuff, as well as a PDF on my phone.

Make a copy and put the original in a plastic sleeve. I put all of mine in a binder and in my safe. I keep copies with the item at all times and even have a copy of my trust in my range bag for that OH SHIT moment when you may need it.

My originals never leave my safe. I make ~60% size copies and then laminate them. I've started putting two front pages back to back, e.g. for my two pistol cans, to make it really easy. I have enough copies for all of my range bags so I don't even have to worry about remembering to find the forms before I leave.

Funny thing, when I got my first stamp years ago, I called BATEF and asked them this very question. They told me then to make copies and laminate the original and leave it in a safe place. I did so. I have made copies recently from my laminated originals with no problem, and there is no degradation in the originals nor the copies. I think it's prob. personal preference as to whether or not to laminate the originals, but that process usually prevents degradation of the document. If anything did arise, while you can not get another stamp, you can get copies of those originals from BATFE - although it may well be a PITA to do so.

But then, that's just my opinion, for which you paid nothing, and may well get exactly what you paid for!

Originals in a secure location & copies with toys when ever you take'em out to play.

I soak a copy in acrylic spray paint. I'd use map sealant but I have an inkjet copier and the water-based sealant will make the print bleed. I fold them up like a letter and carry them in my range bag in an envelope.

I was told no color full size copy's, this could be considered counterfeiting a federal document.

Quick funny on why I laminated my first Form 4...

So, after four plus months of waiting for my very first Form 4 to clear, I get my hot hands on my suppressor.
The very next day, I take the ORIGINAL Form 4 to work to make a high resolution scan of the document.
Without even thinking about it, I put it in the Auto Document Feeder of the scanner.
1.2 seconds later, the ADF is jammed up.
I get that queasy feeling in my stomach as I investigate the source of the jam.
After extracting the priceless document from the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">demon</span> scanner, I find the $200 tax stamp ripped in half.
I figured that a laminated Form 4 looked much better than a Form 4 with Scotch tape holding a stamp together.

After that, I just kept up the tradition of laminating all my approved NFA paperwork.
I figure the only thing that I am loosing out on is the value of the stamp to stamp collectors if I ever wanted to sell it after the NFA item was destroyed.
Since I don't ever intend on destroying any of my NFA toys, I didn't consider this to be a problem.

If I'm not mistaken on the direction sheet that comes with the form 4... they clearly say no to laminate.

Color or black and white does not matter as all the information is there. It's not counterfeiting the document when you OWN the original documentation and are in possession of it. And also you would be needing to change information to make more OR to make a profit of having more.

You are safe with making a copy. I would not laminate as it may need to be inspected at some point in your life.