• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Land in Northern Florida, Southern Georgia Area

anthony20031

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2010
South Florida
Wasn't gonna post this but figured what the heck.

I live in South Florida with my wife and one year old daughter. Both my wife and I come from very rural small town upbringings and love the country, her being raised up on a very large farm/ranch (in South America). With that said we have been throwing around the idea for a few years now to buy a nice plot of secluded land way out yonder. We have been trying to looke at something at a minimum of 10 acres or more and preferable with water running (ie river, creek, pond). We want basically a wooded area.

The whole plan has been to purchase the land (probably have to finance part of it) and we can erect a little cabin on it at first. Then we will build it out as we see fit while using it as a getaway for our family and maybe in due time retire there. Then as time permits to put in septic and well etc.

Also we initially started looking in the Carolinas but the more I have thought about it the more I think it would be best to look in Northern Florida or South Georgia. Reason being it doesn't get as cold which can kind of take a variable out of maintenance (of the cabin or house as it builds) adn more importantly it is a more manageable driving distance which is big because it allows me to more often drive up there on long weekends etc to do work etc.

Anyway this is obviously our first time so asking what to expect, what to look for etc. Also if anyone here has good knowledge of Northern Florida and SOuthern Georgia I would appreciate any input of places to look etc.

Thanks guys!

Re: Land in Northern Florida, Southern Georgia Area

How about Ocala? Get some property with your own spring on it you be set when the grid goes down!
wink.gif

Has good schools and hospitals and is close to U of F.

If I recall it is pretty pricey in Ocala. Pretty sure it was in the neighborhood of 10,000 or more per acre....maybe I am incorrect. Other places like Marianna I found for about $3k or so an acre although that is a lot further from me.

I left north FL in march, but if i still lived there it would be in santa rosa county any where north of hyw 4 around Blackwater state forest. Plenty of rural farm land,public land to hunt on and tons of fish, crabs, shrimp in the bays and rivers. I lived there for 56 yrs. Some good folks still there, but not like it used to be.